UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
On the 10th hole, after we've teed off, the cart girl comes around.

3 of the 4 of us approach her to get a beer.

The 4th duffed his tee shot, and is about 30-40 yards behind us. His ball went right of the cart path (the fairway is left).

As I'm getting my money out of my bag, I'm surprised to see him behind us lining up his shot.

I'm thinking there is no way he'd ever hit while we are right in front of him, but I say 'I hope you're not thinking about hitting'.

If we aren't directly in front of him, at the most he has 10 feet to the left he can hit or he's aiming OB.

10 seconds later, I get hit by a ball in the left hip.

He hit a full swing 3-wood, from 30-40 yards out into 4 people that are more or less directly in front of him. He thought he could put it well over us, and to our left.

It hurt like crazy for 10 seconds, but then no pain at all.

I didn't get mad at him, but told him that was sooo, sooo stupid, and he could have killed someone.

He felt horrible after and spent the rest of the round apologizing over and over.

At first I just kind of laughed about it, but driving home afterwards, it started to really bother me (not the pain). The cart girl was facing him, and her head was no more than 5 feet from my hip. My junk was less than a foot away. Or, if he catches someone in the temple, eye etc...

That could have worked out so incredibly bad. Me getting hit where I did was about the best possible scenario.

It was beyond stupid for him to hit that shot. There is a reason he was in trouble before he hit you, people need to remember that even pros don't always hit it where they intend. I am glad you are alright and no one was seriously injured.

What a dope, I suspect bad decisions are common place for that fool.

Yes. It is scary what people do sometimes. You really don't expect it. You're thinking they know better, then they pull a bonehead stunt like that. You sound like the kind of guy, that would move and block a shot to keep someone from getting hit in the head, etc.
Just make sure the guy remembers and doesn't do something like this again.

Jack

You must be made of steel if a three wood to the hip only hurt for 10 seconds...

I have a girlfriend who would have gone over and snapped his 3-wood, then his hybrid.

One of the stupider moves I've ever heard of on the course. I have an uncle who does stupid crap like this all the time...needless to say I don't play with him much!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I definitely would not have laughed about that, I take that kind of stuff seriously only because like you said, in the blink of an eye something absolutely horrible could have happened and I'm certainly not going to be the guy that allowed it to happen. Sorry you got hit man, thank god it wasn't worse. Next time I'd stop him, it just isn't worth it imo. Not smart at all on his part

That's just dumb!

How many beers deep were y'all at this point?

On Friday I had a group of seniors let me play through on one. We're all regulars so it was very cordial. One guy in their group seems oblivious as he walks about 100 yards in front of me across the fairway to the ball he missed right. It was cart path only. So I'm waiting for him to cross and his buddies are like "just hit it anyway." I was like "No way, are you nuts? " I'm typically good for one or two drives that can just go anywhere. I could have killed him. They start riding me because I'm not playing fast enough.

To to top it off, of course I hit a big ole banana right of the fairway. As I do the walk of shame with my wedge to lay up, guy #1 comes strolling out of the trees with 3 balls and says "which one do you want?" T was like "my ball please! Why would you pick it up?" He replies "Sorry, I didn't know you wanted to play it.."

Wow. All i can say is wow. Was booze involved?

I don't think I would ever accept an invitation to play with this person again. I'm a newb and know better than to do that.

You must be made of steel if a three wood to the hip only hurt for 10 seconds...
It hurt so much initially.

It didn't catch any boney area, otherwise I think I would have had to go the hospital.
I'm not trying to be a tough guy; surprisingly, after the initial pain wears off, it doesn't feel like much of anything (only b/c of where it hit me).

Booze:
I believe he had consumed 2 beers.

I'd love to blame it on booze, but I think it was just plain and simple a really, really poor decision. Actually, the kind of decision you make when you're really drunk. He could be on opiate pain med's. Knee replacement about 6 months ago. A lot of people get hooked on them and can't get off them.

Beyond stupid, it's gross negligence.

Would not play with him again ... not for a long time, and absolutely not until he is off medication and booze.

Hope it's not bruising -- you've used one of your 9 lives.

We all do stupid things, but this guy potentially put lives in danger with his carelessness. I'd keep my eyes on him during future rounds.

Hate hearing about stuff like this.

Need a pic of this tomorrow.

So stupid! In rare cases giving someone a smack in the face is an appropriate response.

Beyond stupid, it's gross negligence.

Would not play with him again ... not for a long time, and absolutely not until he is off medication and booze.

Hope it's not bruising -- you've used one of your 9 lives.

b80eeaa2f7c40540396584f36826760f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me know if you need to pull my shorts up higher.

Wow. Can't believe somebody would be dumb enough to even try to,hit with people in front of them.

Hou need to change the thread title to mother f-er. Man that looks painful. That deep black bruising.

b80eeaa2f7c40540396584f36826760f.jpg

Yeah that looks painful. Clearly it was enough to be crazy dangerous if it hit somewhere higher. I would of went off.

Golf is dangerous. Ouch.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

That's both stupid and dangerous, what he did. The guys I play with I've been them for years, and we know each other's games and shot tendencies enough to know if we're in their shot or not, but had your situation occurred to us, we would either move away or find cover, and the guy behind us would wait long enough for us to do so.

Many years ago a congressman in my country shanked a drive into a caddie's head and killed him right there. There's real danger in that situation.

Back