"Over Drawing" short irons

Russ_D

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Guys,

Need some assistance. I have been working hard on my new swing and have been getting great results. I played 18 on Saturday and i was hitting all clubs from driver to my 7h either straight of a baby draw, I was having the time of my life....Then i hit the par 3's and it kind of went sour.

Bit of background. My new swing gets me approaching the ball from the inside consistantly with good contact. My irons are wilson staff Di9 with plenty of offset. Despite making solid contact the ball started straight to slightly right before curving left, normally leaving me a good 10-15 yards left of the green. so my question(s) are:
A: with an inside to out swing path, can high offset SGI irons be causing the lefts by means of a closed face at impact.

B: Other than aiming way right, how best to set the clubface (should i open it a touch at address)

C: should i say balls to it all and break out the Titelist 695mb's :clapp:.
thanks as always
Russ

Could be a few things at play here. hows your lie angle ? Does the toe stick way up at address ?

When this happens to me, I think I'm aligned properly but I finish way left of my intended target and just get through the ball so it goes further left than intended. The most important thing ive found out for consistently hitting a draw with my irons is to swing to "first base" or "right field" to assure im finishing towards my target

This is a great question and I also do this and I do it often. For me I'm pretty sure its more of an OTT pull hook than anything else, not sure why it usually seems to happen on the par 3 tee box though.

This is a great question and I also do this and I do it often. For me I'm pretty sure its more of an OTT pull hook than anything else, not sure why it usually seems to happen on the par 3 tee box though.

Just happens with the 8-PW. These are the SGI irons, lots of offset. all my other clubs have less offset. I swing the same with all clubs with the same setup.
With offset irons, would it be correct to setup with the face behind the ball but the hosel sort of behind the balls leadig point (if that makes sense)?

Since offset doesn't cause lefts, let's rule that out. Main culprit is probably alignment.

Put the 8-PW blades in the bag and setup open face....play it, watch it come in. A straight shot is always moving away from the pin, unless its dead perfect in the cup

Put the 8-PW blades in the bag and setup open face....play it, watch it come in. A straight shot is always moving away from the pin, unless its dead perfect in the cup

I'll give that a try. Ive heard a lot of it is down to the way the club sits behind the ball at address, in that for some people the offset kind of plays tricks on their minds and that while it looks square it is in fact a touch closed, sound plausable?

It's possible you are coming too far from the inside which can cause your hands/club to have to roll/close hard causing the more left movement.

Sounds more like a timing issue. If you can draw the longer clubs that means you're timing it correctly with your hands and hips, if you're having an overactive ball flight in shorter irons it's likely your hands move much too quickly due to the shorter length through the ball while your hips have not had time to catch up, since the longer irons take longer to get to the ball the timing issue won't show up as much.

I think it's a combination of factors. SGI clubs are designed to cure the slice from an out to in swing path, so if your swinging straight then they should leak left.

Second is the length of the club. Shorter irons need a more in line swing than an arc, and if you're doing good body turns then the body will tend to the left on the follow through.

Cheap option - try adjusting ball position at address - a bit more towards the right.

More expensive option - it's time to move up to clubs with less offset, maybe even a forged set.

It's possible you are coming too far from the inside which can cause your hands/club to have to roll/close hard causing the more left movement.

Its a possibility. Due a back issue i set up "pre turned" which lets me both make a full turn and come from the inside. i suppose if i set up with too much turn e.g. same amount as for the long clubs, the shorter clubs would be more from the inside. god this game is annoying at times!

will do a bit on a test at the range. Same amount of pre turn but with the lovely blades and less pre turn with the Wilsons.

Have you tried setting your feet open at address? Left foot slightly further back than right foot for a right handed golfer. For me I tend to open up progressively a little more starting at the 8 iron til wedge shot. Seems to help me get a more consistent flight.

Its a possibility. Due a back issue i set up "pre turned" which lets me both make a full turn and come from the inside. i suppose if i set up with too much turn e.g. same amount as for the long clubs, the shorter clubs would be more from the inside. god this game is annoying at times!

will do a bit on a test at the range. Same amount of pre turn but with the lovely blades and less pre turn with the Wilsons.

By perturned do you mean setting up in a closed position (left foot closer to the ball than the back foot)?

That promotes an in to out swing and draw if all executed correctly with club face slightly closed at impact.

I simply try straightening up your feet to the target line if not opening your stance as another poster suggested.

I used to play a variety of irons which had a light swing weight and then I shortened them making them when lighter feeling.
I did nothing but over cook them left or even worse a pull hook.

Switched irons to less offset and a heavier swing weight (2-3 pts) and it made a big difference.

How's your grip? I ask because I recently had this issue. Went to the range on Friday and was overcooking draws like crazy (I have an in to out swing as well). Eventually after about half the bucket or so, I decided to weaken my grip a little and boom, the flight straightened out significantly. My left hand was getting too far on top of the club and as a result, I was slamming the face shut at impact.

Check that left hand and try to get it a little more under the club. If you can see the third knuckle, your grip is likely too strong.

More expensive option - it's time to move up to clubs with less offset, maybe even a forged set.

That's what I just did. To the OP....I've had the same problem, and it seems to me like the cause is swinging too aggressively. I mean, too fast, too hard, and not smooth enough. When I slow down, swing smooth and just focus on hitting the sweet spot, they fly straight and don't spin left....which is right for me, cause I'm a lefty.

What does the method of manufacturing have to do with anything in this discussion, though?

The "over draw" is a swing issue. Not an offset or cast/forged issue. There is a swing fault or an alignment fault going on. If no other clubs are "over drawing", then the problem is with the imperfect machine swinging the clubs.

To the OP: Do you feel like you are going after those shorter shots more? More wrist action? Sounds like you are coming in a bit much from the inside for a shorter shot and really letting that toe turn over.

I have the same problem. From my experience, it is a combination of two problems: (1) poor alignment; and (2) OTT. With short irons, especially, I have to make a concerted effort to check my face alignment throughout my set up. It is amazing how easy it is to point the face left of target without realizing it.

Second, a pull is almost always OTT. For me, this means I haven't turned enough - usually, my left side has broken down and I have a "fake" turn, and then my weight never gets to the left side.

I used to struggle with this and for me it was always a grip issue. The left hand was all over the top of the club giving me nothing but a slammed face at impact.
That's not to say it couldn't be alignment, just my. 02

By perturned do you mean setting up in a closed position (left foot closer to the ball than the back foot)?

That promotes an in to out swing and draw if all executed correctly with club face slightly closed at impact.

I simply try straightening up your feet to the target line if not opening your stance as another poster suggested.

I used to play a variety of irons which had a light swing weight and then I shortened them making them when lighter feeling.
I did nothing but over cook them left or even worse a pull hook.

Switched irons to less offset and a heavier swing weight (2-3 pts) and it made a big difference.

Its more of a pre twist than a turn in reality. I setup like normal then make a slight twist. Feet stay square but hips and uper body twist closed, weight stays 50-50 as the left hip moves forward to where it would be at impact.
Its weird but it works a treat for me (owe my physio for giving me the links to the swing).

My irons are pretty standar at D2 swing weight and according to Wilson Staff they have moderate offset and tbh i cant really see a whole lot of difference betewwn the Di9's and the 695s so by process of elimination (thanks to you all by the way for helping there) i found that there were two issues. 1) my alignment of the face was pants, basically i had been setting up with the toe and hosel square which actually set the face closed and 2) my bottom hand was too strong. This wasnt an issue with the longer clubs as i fade those normally and helped me draw the driver, but in the short irons it was a pain in the bum!!

This is a fascinating article to me. Here's my situation... P790s with 3 MG wedges(50,54,58).. My 5 iron to 7 iron and my 3 MG wedges I hit nice and straight.

When I have to use my p790 8,9 or PW, I over draw it every time. I do notice with those 3 clubs only that the toe does stick up.... Why the hell would this be the case? My MG wedges sit perfectly flat as do the longer p790 irons...

Any thoughts? Ofcourse what I do is aim a little left to compensate. (left handed golfer)... Those are the only 3 irons that I draw
.. Otherwise I don't draw anything.

Back