Panda Tip: Half wedge shots featuring Mward

Got it FK, back at it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love these shots and work on them a lot. I think I tend to get a little too wristy causing distance control issues.

Great video and tips Freddie - thanks for posting.

What would the recommended ball position be in your stance?
Generally when I'm punching out of the woods, say, with a 5i or 6i, I tend to play the ball back in my stance.
Same principal here since it's similar to a punch shot or more middle of the stance for this one since it's with a wedge?

Freddie - Can you describe what your wrist action should be on this shot?

When I think about this shot, I picture a Steve Stricker type shot...no wrist break. Is there a right and wrong way? Or should you go with what's most comfortable?

Worked on this last night for a solid couple of hours. These tips are so damn good, Panda.

Open stance to target, narrow stance (This is an arm swing so a narrow stance will help the hips to clear)
Hands and weight forward (promotes downward hit)
choke down the club (more control of the club)
Leg flex or bent knees (get you closer to the ball)
equal length back swing to follow through
Maintained spine angle
accelerates through the ball
hold the club face open ( we are not releasing the club, holding it will impart spin with a downward strike)
faces the target to complete swing and hold it

Love this!

Thank you panda! This saved me probably 6-8 strokes today. Last thought through my head " don't decelerate and end it short" never went long but never chunked it 10 yards in front me.

#roundsaver

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I used this today and got up and down from 53 yards (3 ft.) and 57 yards (12 ft.). My practice swings were to just sweep the grass and to have something of a dead hands feel.

thanks.

I used this today and got up and down from 53 yards (3 ft.) and 57 yards (12 ft.). My practice swings were to just sweep the grass and to have something of a dead hands feel.

thanks.

The wrist will hinge as you take it back but other than that, I just turn back through.

Plan to work on this today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread has helped me tremendously. I always seem to find myself in the 30-70 yard range and couldn't find a shot I felt comfortable enough with to hit close shots consistently. After reading this thread and watching the video I put this method in play and my shots have been so much more consistent. Thanks Freddie and Wardy

This thread has helped me tremendously. I always seem to find myself in the 30-70 yard range and couldn't find a shot I felt comfortable enough with to hit close shots consistently. After reading this thread and watching the video I put this method in play and my shots have been so much more consistent. Thanks Freddie and Wardy

Quit hitting the ball so far and it won't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been practicing (or should I say attempting to practice) this shot the last 2 times at the range.
I did pull it off in my round on Friday from about 40yds with my LW. Checked up about 6ft from the hole.

So right my distances look like this:
LW - 35-40 yds
SW - 50-60 yds
PW - 75-85 yds

The problem is - I have a pretty bad miss with it. It's basically a full on shank/hosel rocket that goes about 45° to the right and just skims along the ground.

Freddie - any idea what could cause this type of miss?

Shanks occur when you change the distance you established at address. This makes you lead with the hossel of the club. Thin shots mean you short arms the swing. Either way there is unwanted movement prior to impact.
Been practicing (or should I say attempting to practice) this shot the last 2 times at the range.
I did pull it off in my round on Friday from about 40yds with my LW. Checked up about 6ft from the hole.

So right my distances look like this:
LW - 35-40 yds
SW - 50-60 yds
PW - 75-85 yds

The problem is - I have a pretty bad miss with it. It's basically a full on shank/hosel rocket that goes about 45° to the right and just skims along the ground.

Freddie - any idea what could cause this type of miss?

Shanks occur when you change the distance you established at address. This makes you lead with the hossel of the club. Thin shots mean you short arms the swing. Either way there is unwanted movement prior to impact.
What would the recommended ball position in my stance be?

Been trying different positions from middle to back but haven't really found the most comfortable one yet

Thanks Freddie

Back of the stance, open to target, weight forward
What would the recommended ball position in my stance be?

Been trying different positions from middle to back but haven't really found the most comfortable one yet

Thanks Freddie

I put this into practice with Freddie watching during our Friday round.

The guy knows what he's talking about.

It helps when you have game like you
I put this into practice with Freddie watching during our Friday round.

The guy knows what he's talking about.

Back