• Never

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Sometimes, depending on the hole

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters

foreputt

Reaction score
Handicap
I have spent all of my golfing life teeing up the ball on a par 3.

I am sure I read somewhere that Jack Nicklaus said "if you can tee the ball up then you should", who am I to argue with the great man?

Anyway I found this article on practical golf, where the writer suggested that not teeing it up has the potential to minimise your shot dispersion, that is make it straighter and your misses not as wide.
I am not entirely convinced so am trying not teeing it up on par 3's for a while to see if there is anything in it for me.

So THP I thought I would put out a poll to see what everyone else does and let me know your view

Here is a link to the article. https://practical-golf.com/tee-iron-par-3/

I always tee it up in par 3s.

Tee it up. Every time.

Nope

I always tee the ball on a par-3, but low so it sits just above the surface. I once read Ben Hogan expressing the view that he would always tee the ball up if given the chance, so it was a perfect lie (I think this was in Five Lessons). That was good enough for me.

1634128455213.jpeg

always tee it up. my possibly flawed way of thinking about it is that moving the strike up a few millimeters on the head will promote higher launch and a better descent angle, and likely more distance than the low strike that spins up and falls short.

Depends 100% on the club. I never use a tee for 9 iron through wedges. 8 iron or longer, I will definitely use a broken tee. Just my own preference since I’ve never get comfortable hitting a wedge off a tee even if it’s literally level with the tee box

Always tee it up on par 3's, but the tee is so low you would think it is on the ground.

I always tee it up. Even if the top of the tee is almost flush with the grass, I tee it up. I'm not passing up on the chance to have a perfect lie.

Tee is barely out of the ground, but I always tee it up. Of course, if it's a 240 yard par 3, I'm hitting driver and teeing it as I normally would a driver.

Unless I have LW or SW in my hands from the tee box(which is very rare), it’s going on a tee.

Always tee it up. Usually I have the tee no more than 1/4 to 1/2" for most iron shots. Maybe I tee it flush with the ground if I need to flight one down or a tad higher to launch it up.

I always tee it up for a par 3. Tees are cheap. I'm a sweeper so this gives me a better chance of a good ball strike. Even with a wedge I'm teeing it up.

Not teeing it up on a par 3 almost guarantees me hitting it fat. <-- I've seen me do it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Usually of I'm hitting a 5 iron-8 iron I'm teeing it up. 9 iron and wedges I'll hit off the grass. I just feel better hitting those clubs off the grass for some reason.

Always use a tee when it’s an option.

I tee it up so the ball is touching the grass. Barely any higher than if it was on the grass. I don't tee an iron up so there is air under the ball. I think this gets me a perfect lie and doesn't increase dispersion.

I see other golfers more than a few times on par 3's make their shots while not using a tee. Really don't see any advantage. Me, always with a tee.

Although I do believe I've see the pros play par 3's without a tee.

Good Golfing ...

Back