Paying College Football Players

And a lot of them then go from sports . . . to jail.

Can you say Lawrence Phillips!!!!

That dude could play though. Crazy guy. Complete criminal and nutcase but he was a gifted, gifted player. Full speed cuts = insane.

Kudos to you man. Did you have a guidance counselor or a parent help you to do that or was it on your own initiative. (not trying to be argumentative, just curious).

My own damn initiative brother. My parent's did it on their own, so they thought it was important for me to do it on my own. I could have gone to a very nice private school for $30,000 a year or a state school for $10,000. I went to the state school. I ran the numbers to see what I needed for money. The summer before my freshman year, I knew how much money I needed to make inorder to afford school and a small social life. I worked 16 hour days between two jobs for three months. When I got to school I took out a Ford Direct Loan to cover the rest. In my junior and senior year I worked 40 hours a week and carried 15 credits.

I graduated college in 4 years using mostly my own money. I did/still do have some student loan debt, but it was managable.

Nope. Still a cop out for the kid to do the wrong stuff. If it was so important for the kid to "get out of the hood", then they would do the leg work. And then act like a grown up once their out.

For some of them the only way out of the hood is sports [ Michael Mohr}

My own damn initiative brother. My parent's did it on their own, so they thought it was important for me to do it on my own. I could have gone to a very nice private school for $30,000 a year or a state school for $10,000. I went to the state school. I ran the numbers to see what I needed for money. The summer before my freshman year, I knew how much money I needed to make inorder to afford school and a small social life. I worked 16 hour days between two jobs for three months. When I got to school I took out a Ford Direct Loan to cover the rest. In my junior and senior year I worked 40 hours a week and carried 15 credits.

I graduated college in 4 years using mostly my own money. I did/still do have some student loan debt, but it was managable.

Nicely done. That's something to be proud of. That is really impressive.

My folks were the same way. I was able to get that athletic scholarship though. Still had to work a lot to get through and have some student debt (mostly from grad school).

Honestly, I'm really not sure how I feel about increasing athletic compensation. The videogame racquet is another deal that I'm really confused by.

Back