Paying College Football Players

CraftyLefty

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
Seven SEC coaches voted today to pay their players $300 per game from their own compensation. (Per Andy Staples twitter).

http://twitter.com/#!/Andy_Staples

Very interesting development in the whole paying players argument.

The players already get paid. They get a scholarship. Not sure why anything needs to change

It will never happen. And what expenses are we talking about? The full ride which includes room & board (and that is not the typical cafeteria food for these guys), and tuition including books and private tutors to get an education at a good university? Sorry, but what else do they need? Party money? Clothing money? If everything else is free, the parents can pay for that. Sorry, but I just don't agree with it. Basically free agency for High School kids. Who will pay me the most. I am sure it happens any way, but come on.

I am sorry but the players need realize just how much they get with a full ride scholarship. No only is there the cash value of the education- but increased lifetime earning potential and DEBT FREE graduation are huge. I would be in a completely different place right now if I didn't have 6 figures of debt from my college education.

College ball is going in the wrong direction imo. If a full ride and booster/angels isn't enough, what is? It certainly isn't about getting a college education for these guys and like the pros one player can suck the lifeforce out of a team. The best way to do that is treat one player better than the others.

paying amateurs is laughable at best.

This is why I can't stand college football/basketball. If the education is not payment enough, they should NOT be attending college.

The players already get paid. They get a scholarship. Not sure why anything needs to change

+2. I agree 100%. They get something for free that cost my family $60K.

College football programs are the minor leagues for the NFL. All other minor league players are paid. There is a vast number of athletes that don't have money for clothes or other items. Excelling at football was their ticket to college. Their talent is their ticket to the pros. I understand that not all college athletes turn pro in sports after college so the full scholarships are great. But what about that player that does go pro and his or her likeness is used to sell tickets, jerseys. Etc. What about the millions made on their backs by the coaches, universities, communities, boosters? Tons of money flowing but no pay for play. Don't pay them directly but find a way to get them some cash.
Will it stop the Reggie Bushes or Terrell Pryors of the world, no. But some kid that has nothing and his family needs the dough, pay him or her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

College football programs are the minor leagues for the NFL. All other minor league players are paid. There is a vast number of athletes that don't have money for clothes or other items. Excelling at football was their ticket to college. Their talent is their ticket to the pros. I understand that not all college athletes turn pro in sports after college so the full scholarships are great. But what about that player that does go pro and his or her likeness is used to sell tickets, jerseys. Etc. What about the millions made on their backs by the coaches, universities, communities, boosters? Tons of money flowing but no pay for play. Don't pay them directly but find a way to get them some cash.
Will it stop the Reggie Bushes or Terrell Pryors of the world, no. But some kid that has nothing and his family needs the dough, pay him or her.

All of those families who can not afford living expenses (aside from room and board) are eligible for a number of need based grants and student employment. Besides, I can think of a lot of kids who had full rides but needed to take loans for gas, clothing, etc. If that is not enough, perhaps they have to pass up their tattoos, nice cars, and wild partying just like I had to.

Guess what I did while at college when I needed money. I WORKED!

you know what sucks though. They are not allowed to have jobs. Where does that make sense? How the hell are they supposed to pay for other things. I dont think whats going on is right, but why the hell cant these people work for some money?

All of those families who can not afford are eligible for a number of need based grants and student employment. Besides, I can think of a lot of kids who had full rides but needed to take loans for gas, clothing, etc.

This, wholeheartedly. Why do certain kids reserve the right to be treated differently in college simply because they excel at a given sport? There are probably thousands of kids to every individual scholarship athlete who deserve to have their schooling paid for based on their intellectual gifts, vs captain varsity who can throw a football halfway down a field but can't do long division.

Not to mention the free room and board, food, clothing, training programs, wellness programs, medical programs... I mean, let's be honest.. How hard off do these kids REALLY have it?

Guess what I did while at college when I needed money. I WORKED!

I didnt see this til I posted mine. NCAA athletes can not have jobs. So....what do they do for money?

Don't pay them directly but find a way to get them some cash.

College athletes get certain stipends. Outside of that, life is rough. As for the minor league analogy, it holds no water. College is the minor league of life. Should the schools give every kid that works hard towards their degree cash because if they work hard it helps the schools bottom dollar towards numbers? Sorry you cannot get the latest clothes, but that is not part of academic athletics. If your family needs money, what does that have to do with the athlete? Drop out and get a job, or the family can get assistance elsewhere. Playing college sports is not a right, its a privilege.

This, wholeheartedly. Why do certain kids reserve the right to be treated differently in college simply because they excel at a given sport? There are probably thousands of kids to every individual scholarship athlete who deserve to have their schooling paid for based on their intellectual gifts, vs captain varsity who can throw a football halfway down a field but can't do long division.

Not to mention the free room and board, food, clothing, training programs, wellness programs, medical programs... I mean, let's be honest.. How hard off do these kids REALLY have it?

long division doesnt bring in MILLIONS of dollars.

I didnt see this til I posted mine. NCAA athletes can not have jobs. So....what do they do for money?

What do they need money for? Certainly they could attempt to obtain a small loan, vs the massive loan they SHOULD be acquiring to be educated..

Looking back, I would have taken a small loan to pay for gas and oreos if it meant the school was going to hook me up with everything else I needed.

you know what sucks though. They are not allowed to have jobs. Where does that make sense? How the hell are they supposed to pay for other things. I dont think whats going on is right, but why the hell cant these people work for some money?

You can thank the boosters for that. The rule came into play because a lot of athletes took "jobs" in which they were making six figures for no work.
That is why kids get stipend for necessities as well as all the food and other things they need.

I agree with that. The rules need to be changed so that they can get part time jobs.

I thought a lot of these kids had "jobs" that they didn't have to attend which is another part of the problem... turning on automatic sprinklers and what have you. I thought they were allowed to get jobs? I could be wrong...

Playing college sports is not a right, its a privilege.

nuff said.

The system is definitely broken. I'm not against paying the athletes. They do bring in the $$$ for the schools of which $$$ is used for scholarships for many students outside of athletics.

Last edited:
What do they need money for? Certainly they could attempt to obtain a small loan, vs the massive loan they SHOULD be acquiring to be educated..

Looking back, I would have taken a small loan to pay for gas and oreos if it meant the school was going to hook me up with everything else I needed.

I guess man....My roomates in college all played football. They worked for cash money...

Which I have a HUGE issue with. College is for education, not for sports, at least in my opinion.

hmmmm....

You can thank the boosters for that. The rule came into play because a lot of athletes took "jobs" in which they were making six figures for no work.
That is why kids get stipend for necessities as well as all the food and other things they need.

yeah, its quite ridiculous...they get free meals, but only during allotted times. They dont get gas money to get to class though. It is a flawed system and your right

I guess man....My roomates in college all played football. They worked for cash money...

Were they on scholarships? I played D1 inline hockey, but it was a club sport so we basically had to pay our own way a lot of the time, especially for food and gear. I get that we were not televised or anything like that, but we still played all the big name schools in the MidWest (Michigan, MSU, OSU, Purdue, etc) and put in the time. It's stuff like that where I have an awfully hard time sympathizing because I realize how much of an honour it was to play for my school, and would have never want to see that be washed out by compensation.

Back