Payne’s Valley at Big Cedar Lodge

Last edited:
Incredible course. Will be out there this weekend for a Bachelor Party.

I still plan on getting out to Payne's Valley this year, even with the preview play, I really want to play it.

Way too weird. I'm flying out there thursday..

We have lodging at Big Cedar. Definitely will have to get there very soon.

Looks like I will get a chance to play here in late March for my birthday. My wife is setting it up weather permitting.

Just looking at rounds at Payne's Valley and its only a cool $450 now.

And you have to stay on property too correct?

I played PV, Top of the Mountain and Buffalo Ridge and had a wonderful time. If you are able to make it happen, do it.

I played PV, Top of the Mountain and Buffalo Ridge and had a wonderful time. If you are able to make it happen, do it.
No I am pretty sure you don't have too. Going to pass on it this trip and wait until I am not just a solo out there. Likely play Ozark National or Buffalo Ridge again.

If I’m shelling out 450 there are other places I’ll be playing.

You can only book 30 days out if you aren't staying on property - so it is trickier to get a tee time, but still possible, depending on time of year and number of golfers.

Last edited:

I can get a 50% discount at Big Cedar, and when I added up the cost for a 4 day trip it was still pretty outrageous.

It was only 375 last year lol
I think each year it's going to get higher and higher. Just don't want to solo the course at that price point. Would prefer to be with friends.

Just think that's just about the price of a THP experience and you get A LOT more than ONE round of golf
Yes I’ll save that cash in hopes of making it into another experience.

Hadn't played Payne's recently but HOLY CRAP? I hope our local discounts are still substantial. As Big Cedar courses go I still prefer Ozarks National's layout but Payne's is always going to draw the highest price as tee sheets remain packed regardless of what they charge. For those considering Payne's make sure you allow time to at least play Ozark's National, Buffalo Ridge, and Branson Hills too. Ledgestone is another Branson track that's also always ranked top 10 in Missouri but is a notch or two below those other four IMO.

I played it the first year. They were practically giving tee times away ($250/winter Rates in March) :LOL:. I think that will be the only time I play at these rates.

Need to get there at some point

Hadn't played Payne's recently but HOLY CRAP? I hope our local discounts are still substantial. As Big Cedar courses go I still prefer Ozarks National's layout but Payne's is always going to draw the highest price as tee sheets remain packed regardless of what they charge. For those considering Payne's make sure you allow time to at least play Ozark's National, Buffalo Ridge, and Branson Hills too. Ledgestone is another Branson track that's also always ranked top 10 in Missouri but is a notch or two below those other four IMO.
Interesting. So I was between Branson hills and Ledgestone. I haven't played either yet. Love Ozark National and Buffalo Ridge and may play them as well but wanted to venture out this time.

Interesting. So I was between Branson hills and Ledgestone. I haven't played either yet. Love Ozark National and Buffalo Ridge and may play them as well but wanted to venture out this time.
Depends on your preferences: Both are usually in excellent condition with scenic and challenging elevation changes on almost every hole. Greens are fast and true with a lot of undulation at both.

-Branson Hills is the much more challenging of the two, barely ever get a chance to 'exhale' on any hole or shot. Nicer staff, better amenities, but (like Payne's and Ozarks Nat'l) you don't return to the clubhouse between nines.
-Ledgestone is an accuracy first 'target golf course' where you might need to leave driver in the bag on some holes. More gimmicks like a massive tree off the tee blocking nearly all of the fairway on a P5 etc... When I last played there a couple weeks ago the restaurant was unavailable due to staffing issues. Also think they might be short on grounds crew staff right now too as course conditions weren't quite up to their norms.

Lot's of options close though. 6 of the top 10 Missouri 'courses you can play' (Golfweek's 2022 list) are in or near Branson. Listed the current prime season weekday/weekend rates for those but discounts can be had at most:
#1) Ozarks National $250
#2) Buffalo Ridge $179
#3) Branson Hills $139/$159
#4) Payne's Valley $450
#7) Ledgestone $119/$129
#10) Rivercut $55/$65 (it's 10-15 minutes off 65 just south of SGF, <5 minutes if you usually go 160 into Branson) PM me if you ever want company at Rivercut. Home course so I can save you @$20.
Also Old Kinderhook is #6 on that list ($95/$115) if you ever detour through Camdenton on the way. It should be higher IMO.

Last edited:
Back