PGA Players getting ready to sue if PGA adopts Anchored Putter Ban

asca2

Reaction score
Handicap
It's the rules deal with it.

A stupid rule yes, but a rule nonetheless.

A real shame if it kicks off. Whatever the view is on the rule, it's the rule. The talent that these guys have, I daresay not many will really struggle to adapt. Only the lawyers will benefit from a suit

I think you'll find there won't be much they can do about it. Getting together and seeing what their options are is probably the best they can hope for.

The R&A and USGA really deserve everything they get IF!!! they didn't use due diligence and investigate and then close any loophole or avenues for legal recourse arising from this decision.
I think they may have done what they needed to, let's hope it doesn't get too ugly.

I am not a law-talkin' guy. I don't see how this could work, though. He wasn't hired and fired. He can still play under the rules they specify.
He can try the disability angle, but if this is accurate, he's got nuttin', does he?

"Clark has a congenital birth defect that prevents him from rotating his hands, so it’s not as comfortable for him to use the conventional putter. (However, one of his college teammates recently told me that Clark won a few tourneys in college using the short putter and he is a good player without the long putter, but he’s just probably better with the stroke he employs now.)"

Remember Casey Martin and his fight against the tour to use a cart when they said no. That was the rule and he fought it. The rule is not founded on facts and there for can be challenged. I expected it and am glad the Suit is pushing back.

Isn't there something about the players who play on the PGA tour about when they get their card they aren't allowed to sue the tour? Or something?

I am not a law-talkin' guy. I don't see how this could work, though. He wasn't hired and fired. He can still play under the rules they specify.
He can try the disability angle, but if this is accurate, he's got nuttin', does he?

"Clark has a congenital birth defect that prevents him from rotating his hands, so it’s not as comfortable for him to use the conventional putter. (However, one of his college teammates recently told me that Clark won a few tourneys in college using the short putter and he is a good player without the long putter, but he’s just probably better with the stroke he employs now.)"

I played with Tim Clark a fair bit as a junior golfer back in South Africa. Whether it be for school teams or junior competitions and never once did he make a complaint about his wrists. I never knew about it and I dare say neither did anyone else. He was a phenomenally good player as a junior using a short putter so I don't buy the story about discomfort swinging a putter at what, 10mph versus swinging an iron and taking a divot at 85+mph. These guys all grew up playing short putters so I can't see why it'd be that difficult to transition back to them. Long putters, in particular belly putters can be a great training aid but they should never be allowed to be a crutch for a golfer with the yips. My $0.02.
Back to the original post though, it'd be a desperate move to try sue the pga, they'd get nowhere as far as I can see.

I may be completely wrong in this, but my simplistic view was that anchored putters were chosen by players who suffered from the yips and the yips were predominantly caused by players unable to handle the pressure so if they can't handle the pressure then that is their problem - My parents were talking about this at the weekend and their view was that the anchored putters should never have been allowed in the first place, in which case this debate would never have arisen

As I have never considered an anchored putter I admit to being naive as to any perceived advantage they may give players, but I think for it to take this long since players started using them to decide to ban them is a bit harsh. I think the decision should have been made when companies first considered producing them

Another thought that has just crossed my mind, is how the PGA might react to the latest counter-weighted putters if they promote a more stable stroke in a similar fashion to the anchored putters......? Will they wait for 'x' number of years and then decide to ban those as well?

Remember Casey Martin and his fight against the tour to use a cart when they said no. That was the rule and he fought it. The rule is not founded on facts and there for can be challenged. I expected it and am glad the Suit is pushing back.

big difference, actually.
the use of a cart is not prohibited by the rules per se: it was a decision of the PGA Tour, who had the power to decide either way.

i am not a lawyer but i see no legal ground for a case, here.

Maybe I'm really missing the boat but I can't see any way in which these players have a cause of action.

I think about the only thing the players have going for them is the history of the PGA Tour/USGA/whoever they are going to sue allowing the use of the anchored stroke for so long. But I'm not a lawyer and I'm not sure if that really constitutes having a case.

I'm a lawyer. But I don't really think they have a case. They can push, maybe take a shot and try to get some sort of concession from the USGA, but I doubt they'd be successful. The only people who would have any shot are those with physical limitations that need a broomstick putter to save their back. I've always thought the clubmakers would have a better suit against the USGA than anyone else, since they are the ones who are really damaged by the rule. Yes, I know I can use a broomstick putter in regular play, but not in tournaments. I would think that would be worth a good chunk of money to them.

I'll be interested when the Petition/Complaint is filed to read it and see what grounds they allege.

~Rock

I'm a lawyer. But I don't really think they have a case. They can push, maybe take a shot and try to get some sort of concession from the USGA, but I doubt they'd be successful. The only people who would have any shot are those with physical limitations that need a broomstick putter to save their back. I've always thought the clubmakers would have a better suit against the USGA than anyone else, since they are the ones who are really damaged by the rule. Yes, I know I can use a broomstick putter in regular play, but not in tournaments. I would think that would be worth a good chunk of money to them.

I'll be interested when the Petition/Complaint is filed to read it and see what grounds they allege.

~Rock

Club makers definitely have no case as the equipment isn't banned.

Back