PGA ratings grab?

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With all the talk about TV ratings dropping like a stone, do you suppose the PGA has given exemptions to the LIV folks (who aren't already qualified) to try and generate some interest? Especially Talor Gooch who has a way of inserting his foot firmly in his mouth at time.

Is Talor Gooch really gonna move the needle?

With all the talk about TV ratings dropping like a stone, do you suppose the PGA has given exemptions to the LIV folks (who aren't already qualified) to try and generate some interest? Especially Talor Gooch who has a way of inserting his foot firmly in his mouth at time.
PGA of America and PGAT are two different entities.

Whatever...
I mean, it’s kinda key in this, no? The PGAT ratings have sucked, where the PGA of America are hosting this major and don’t really have any dependencies on the PGAT ratings?

I would say it's probably more an acknowledgment that they have some decent players there. As @Jman said i don't think the guys that got the exemptions are really going to impact ratings much

But the sum of the parts it makes sense --you want the best players there

As @Jman said the PGA of America is not part of the PGA Tour. The Tour players split from that organization in Arnold Palmer's time and they're not related financially at all. Given that I doubt they care what ratings are for the PGA Tour. I do think they care about their own ratings and have always desired to host the major with the strongest field each year. I think that had a lot to do with it.

As a couple folks said - the two are not the same. However, I do think the PGA of America is interested in eyeballs on this tournament, so adding some of the LIV guys is probably related.

Is Talor Gooch really gonna move the needle?
Allow me to introduce you to the Taylor Gooch paradox: if he’s not in the tournament it doesn’t count; if he’s in it no one cares about the event because what kind of tournament invites Taylor Gooch?

I mean, it’s kinda key in this, no? The PGAT ratings have sucked, where the PGA of America are hosting this major and don’t really have any dependencies on the PGAT ratings?
Not to mention the PGA Championship has been taking being "the fourth most exciting major" personally the last several years.

I'm pretty sure the PGA knows everyone streams golf now, so the TV ratings are of no concern.
Interesting question...is it easier or more difficult to find streaming ratings? I am sure it might take time compiling it, but perhaps it would be easier to see how many are people are viewing.

This is why they gave Tiger an exemption.
This is why they Tiger a exemption.🤦‍♂️

Tiger has a lifetime exemption to play in the PGA Championship based on his four victories.
What you are alluding to is the exemption he received to play in the US Open, which was given by the USGA, not the PGA.

Tiger has a lifetime exemption to play in the PGA Championship based on his four victories.
What you are alluding to is the exemption he received to play in the US Open, which was given by the USGA, not the PGA.
Facts don't belong on the internet good sir

The LIV guys give me a reason to watch , but just to root against them. Although I still watch just about every tournament I can as long as the DVR gets it all.

Michael Block might be a better exemption if the PGA of America was trying to get ratings. Block brought in a ton of the rating numbers last year.

Michael Block might be a better exemption if the PGA of America was trying to get ratings. Block brought in a ton of the rating numbers last year.
he's already in the field.

he's already in the field.
I was wondering about that, but haven't seen anything about it. Exemption or qualfied from his standing on leaderboard of last year?

Back