PGA Tour News & Notes

mikeg_74

2015 Grandaddy | 2019 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
11ish
I didn't see a catch all thread for all the PGAT news and notes independent of weekly tour stops, so I created this thread. We have one for the USGA/RA & LIV but not one for the PGA Tour. If there is one, mods please merge. Hopefully we can keep this specific to the PGA Tour and the latest news and developments. I know some rules discussion and LIV will bleed in, but overall hopefully we can keep this to tour news.

I came across this on X and it seems like the lower level players have been left in the dark and want answers.

I came across this on X and it seems like the lower level players have been left in the dark and want answers.

The lower level players need to just keep quiet and remember that their payday as tour jobbers is directly connected to tour stars.. the more they cry the more stars leave and the less they are rewarded being tour average..

The lower level players need to just keep quiet and remember that their payday as tour jobbers is directly connected to tour stars.. the more they cry the more stars leave and the less they are rewarded being tour average..
But at the same time the top brass can't be using them as part of their story to "protect the tour". Either they are a part of it or not at all. Can't use them when it's convenient imo.

But at the same time the top brass can't be using them as part of their story to "protect the tour". Either they are a part of it or not at all. Can't use them when it's convenient imo.
Agreed..

“We don't trust you, Jay! You lied to our face,” Murray reportedly shouted at Monahan, according to The Telegraph. In response, Rory McIlroy told Murray, “Just play better, Grayson.” Murray, taken aback by McIlroy's comment, told him to “f— off.”

“We don't trust you, Jay! You lied to our face,” Murray reportedly shouted at Monahan, according to The Telegraph. In response, Rory McIlroy told Murray, “Just play better, Grayson.” Murray, taken aback by McIlroy's comment, told him to “f— off.”

How does this guy have a say?

IMG_3945.png

I bet Rob Golf Ball is a super respected journalist that definitely doesn't let any personal bias influenced is tweets.

I bet Rob Golf Ball is a super respected journalist that definitely doesn't let any personal bias influenced is tweets.
Golf digest has a similar article

Golf Digest didn't call them mules
That is a little extreme but I got what he was trying to convey. Everyone needs internet street cred, lol

The bottom half of the Tour sees the writing on the wall that the Tour will become mainly elevated events and they will be like a Korn Ferry.

The bottom half of the Tour sees the writing on the wall that the Tour will become mainly elevated events and they will be like a Korn Ferry.
I wouldn’t go that far, but the tour is definitely at a cross roads. They cannot compete with PIF $$ & as much as I love golf? They will not generate revenue like other pro sports to pay out winners the top $$ they want or think they should be earning.

In the end they need to get back to telling the story of tradition and history and having your name go for with the greats of the game. That’s not sexy like a boat load of $$ but they need to get back to their core product and messaging

I’m looking for tiered levels like English football. I’d have zero interest in the bottom 3 tiers mind you, but I believe there are those better than I out there who would.

This is extremely interesting. The Tour is likely not happy with this letter. The golfers as independent contractors have legitimate concerns as to the terms and conditions of their employment. Their relationship to the Tour and the Tour’s ultimate actions may raise antitrust issues.

I wouldn’t go that far, but the tour is definitely at a cross roads. They cannot compete with PIF $$ & as much as I love golf? They will not generate revenue like other pro sports to pay out winners the top $$ they want or think they should be earning.

In the end they need to get back to telling the story of tradition and history and having your name go for with the greats of the game. That’s not sexy like a boat load of $$ but they need to get back to their core product and messaging
I agree, problem is the result will be defection of players going to where the money is. History, legacy and having your name amongst the greats of the game doesn’t seem to mean what it used too.

This is one of the rare times I will say this. They players that draw all the views just need to take their ball and start their own league. The mules are getting ridiculous. Nobody watches week in and week out to see a no name play. They absolutely benefit massively beyond the value they add.

Some good news for the tour. Hopefully they can hammer out the deal to give these guys some financial freedom to play golf and excel.

If the PGAT gets "investors" I would assume, maybe not with Monahan, they considered that with money comes control. Once again the players will be blindsided by finding out the people calling the shots have changed.

Some good news for the tour. Hopefully they can hammer out the deal to give these guys some financial freedom to play golf and excel.

Per Tiger, there goes incentive to practice and dig them out of the dirt. Prepare for complacency.

Per Tiger, there goes incentive to practice and dig them out of the dirt. Prepare for complacency.
Given how some of these guys grinded and withstood the KF tour, I think they will not lose any competitive spirit.

Given how some of these guys grinded and withstood the KF tour, I think they will not lose any competitive spirit.
Oh I agree, but that is not what Tiger said about guys getting up front money awhile back.

Back