PGA Tour News & Notes

Interesting stuff. I hope the Tour’s great charity work wouldn’t dry up with this shift.

PGA Tour players will be getting a share of the multibillion investments. In a memo to players on Nov. 14, Monahan said the PGA Tour will offer its members direct ownership in PGA Tour Enterprises.

IMG_0899.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpeg
    IMG_0899.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1
PGA Tour players will be getting a share of the multibillion investments. In a memo to players on Nov. 14, Monahan said the PGA Tour will offer its members direct ownership in PGA Tour Enterprises.

View attachment 9230526
Not what I had in mind when I mentioned charity :LOL:

The kid can drive a golf ball, wow

Per Tiger, there goes incentive to practice and dig them out of the dirt. Prepare for complacency.
Are we basing this opinion off of how trash James Piot’s play has been on LIV after securing the money, and think all players will get complacent with money in their pocket?

Are we basing this opinion off of how trash James Piot’s play has been on LIV after securing the money, and think all players will get complacent with money in their pocket?
Probably need to ask Tiger his intent, he is the one who made the statement.

Per Tiger, there goes incentive to practice and dig them out of the dirt. Prepare for complacency.

I don't think the players would be complacent in the least. They still have to be in the top 125 on PGA Tour or they can't play next year. That is a lot of motivation to stay on the PGA tour to make money. $500K is really not that much when you factor in taxes and all of their expenses. After taxes, you are looking at about $300K plus playing a full schedule on tour is around $100K on the low end (travel fees, caddie fees, golf fees). But even with that program, only 8 players needed it, so it is really a nothing burger. However, with Tiger's logic, is he pretty complacent after winning all that PIP money with a total of $33 million (15 million 2023, 12 million 2022, 6 million 2021) and playing very few events?

I don't think the players would be complacent in the least. They still have to be in the top 125 on PGA Tour or they can't play next year. That is a lot of motivation to stay on the PGA tour to make money. $500K is really not that much when you factor in taxes and all of their expenses. After taxes, you are looking at about $300K plus playing a full schedule on tour is around $100K on the low end (travel fees, caddie fees, golf fees). But even with that program, only 8 players needed it, so it is really a nothing burger. However, with Tiger's logic, is he pretty complacent after winning all that PIP money with a total of $33 million (15 million 2023, 12 million 2022, 6 million 2021) and playing very few events?
Me neither, never bought into the thought process of guys being complacent once they got some money. Was surprised Tiger said it, when he himself got a fair amount of Nike coin soon as he turned pro.

Every one of those guys grew up competing at a high level. They all still want to win.

Why do lesser players feel entitled to more $? Seems to be a generational issue.
You don't hear minor league baseball players demanding to be paid what guy in the Show are getting. Same with the NFL practice squad players.
McIlroy told him the same thing I was told when I couldn't compete: Play better.

Looks like some movement with the PGAT and the US backed investments...

I think Jay would do some pretty humiliating, degrading and obscene things right now to get any investors on board that would help diminish the impact of the PIF. :ROFLMAO:

Why do lesser players feel entitled to more $? Seems to be a generational issue.
You don't hear minor league baseball players demanding to be paid what guy in the Show are getting. Same with the NFL practice squad players.
McIlroy told him the same thing I was told when I couldn't compete: Play better.

I think your analogy is not comparing the same things. Minor league baseball players and NFL practice squad players are not playing in major league games or NFL games and are more akin to the Korn Ferry players or PGA Americas players. PGA tour players that have PGA cards are playing in PGA tournaments every week which is the big league. But again, only 8 of players needed any assistance to get to the PGA tour's minimum of $500K, so it is really a nothing burger because it is so little PGA tour money.

From what I read, a lot of the PGA players are not pleased with the elevated events which essentially creates two tours within the PGA. Also, a lot of PGA players are not too pleased with the PIP program. 100 million PIP money (which is akin to a Mr. Congeniality popularity contest) is doled out which has nothing to do with performance results in tournaments. So, a lot of the PGA players are not happy with how the money is organized.

Last edited:
Oh I agree, but that is not what Tiger said about guys getting up front money awhile back.
PGA guys pay it back through winnings, so they aren't keeping it. We learned that doesn't happen with the LIV contracts. So not really comparable imo.

Looks like Kiz will be taking Azinger’s chair in the booth, at least on a temporary basis. What a great addition to the broadcast team, Kiz is funny and witty.

Looks like Kiz will be taking Azinger’s chair in the booth, at least on a temporary basis. What a great addition to the broadcast team, Kiz is funny and witty.
Interesting! Hopefully he brings a nice change of pace.

I think he'll be an awesome replacement. He'll definitely spice the booth up, haha!
Yea just not sure it’s something I need every tournament

Looks like Charlie Woods is now with Greyson for apparel

Yea just not sure it’s something I need every tournament
Meh, they'll take heat no matter who they bring in. It seems that no golf announcer is universally liked.

I'll take a wait and see approach. I'm interested to see what he adds to the booth as far as in his commentary and presentation. And I want to see, as a current player and contemporary, if he can be critical when needed.

I just read an interview with Viktor Hovland in which he was sharply critical of PGAT management. He claims he's not heading to LIV with Jon Rahm, but he said his support to the PGAT extends only to the golf course and the development of his own game, not PGAT management. He calls them "arrogant" and says they've done a "damn bad job" in handling the LIV issue.

Viktor is one of the most laid back guys on the Tour, when you've pissed him off to the point that he's publicly speaking out against you, you can be pretty sure you're effing things up badly.

I'll admit Hovland has never been one I have gravitated towards, but lately I am coming around on him.

Looking forward to hearing Kiz on the broadcasts, will be interesting to see if he is successful. Unfortunately his game since jumping to Wilson has been a struggle it appears.

The best story to come out of Q-School. The emotions must be all over the place for them.

The best story to come out of Q-School. The emotions must be all over the place for them.

Wow, emotional roller coaster for sure!

Back