PGA Tour Player Bonus Pool

Raiderboost

2023 Victory Cup Participant
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just saw them talking about this on Golf Channel. What are your thoughts?

If we could get a Zalatoris/Sandler pairing for the ATT then he could make a jump into one of those spots!:ROFLMAO:
1618941353311.png

Not sure this does anything to improve weak-field events, which is what my primary interest would be.

Not sure this does anything to improve weak-field events, which is what my primary interest would be.
Yeah I would think maybe offering a higher purse at some of those weaker events to attract more top guys would have been good. The other thing that was brought up on Golf Channel would be to funnel it to payouts for the Korn Ferry to help those guys trying to grind and make it on tour.

Maybe a player with a leaked sex tape in the future will get a large Google search bump to sneak into the top 10.

It definitely keeps people from joining the Saudi Arabia league that Phil keeps talking about.

This makes absolutely no sense. Reward guys because they draw ratings? What is to stop anyone from buying a bot farm and artificially creating a social media presence to get some year end money?

None of the current guys move the needle like Tiger and it feels like a participation trophy type of reward for top players who aren't winning. (looking at you Rickie and Rory)

This makes absolutely no sense. Reward guys because they draw ratings? What is to stop anyone from buying a bot farm and artificially creating a social media presence to get some year end money?

None of the current guys move the needle like Tiger and it feels like a participation trophy type of reward for top players who aren't winning. (looking at you Rickie and Rory)
Yeah this almost seems like it's being paid because you win the popularity contest since only 1 of the 6 metrics is based on performance. If anything I would like something for trying to grow the game by volunteering or helping raise money for youth programs or something like that.

PGA is trying to make sure none of there big golfers defect to any other $$ tours in the future. I guess that proposed Premier league scared the PGA a bit.

Golf has always been and should always remain you get paid/rewarded for what you currently do and how well you do it week in and week out on the course.... unlike any other sport where you get paid on what your suppose to do, or what you did years ago...golf is rewarded by how well you do on the links.... not off the course or popularity contests... talk about going off the mark with this addition... not a good move imho...face it guys like Patrick Reed won’t ever win this... he so hated lol

So 3 of the 6 criteria used basically have to do with social media, and only 1 of 6 has to do with how well they play.

Golf is a meritocracy, not a popularity contest.

Tiger, if/when he recovers should be the top person here - he IS the needle....

Be a little like the European tour, pay them to show up.

Golf has always been and should always remain you get paid/rewarded for what you currently do and how well you do it week in and week out on the course.... unlike any other sport where you get paid on what your suppose to do, or what you did years ago...golf is rewarded by how well you do on the links.... not off the course or popularity contests... talk about going off the mark with this addition... not a good move imho...face it guys like Patrick Reed won’t ever win this... he so hated lol

I think you mean PGA Tour golf has always been this way. The European Tour has paid people to come play their events because they bring eyeballs to the tournament and generate revenue. Why shouldn't the big names get paid more for doing something that others can't? Cameron Tringale has never won an event and has made $13 Million over his career. How many people does he bring to a tournament? A few hundred at most?

The PGA Tour is facing losing 90% of it's top 50 stars and it would immediately become a 2nd tier operation. It was a move they had to do.

Why not have a fund to pay to guys who drive clicks right now? Think about the buzz Will Zalatoris has created the last month. He's played well, engaged with the media and been present on social media. Maybe slide him a few bucks and tell him to keep up the good play instead of saving it until the end of the year to hand over to Rickie Fowler who is only out front because his sponsors put him out there and they keep wasting PGA Tour Live featured group coverage on him.

How many of these guys are in need of an extra payout?

If there's money there, I think strengthening the pot for the deeper finishers is a great play, or as some have mentioned, sending some of that pool down to the feeder tours that are cultivating the next generation of talent - maybe in the way of setting up travel and/or housing arrangements to reduce the burden of their experience.

I’m not a fan of sending money to people who don’t need it... for reasons that just seem.... well.... odd.
Deeper finishers or more importantly, the feeder tours, I could get behind that. Sending $$ to a guy just for showing up... ? nope.

If you (as a pro golfer) "move the needle", have a snazzy social media preference or are a fan fave, odds are that you're already a millionaire several times over and don't actually need more. If you want more, there are licensing/endorsement opportunities open to you that are not open to golfers of lesser stature. Oh, and there's also the old fashioned method of actually winning a tournament to put a spare million plus in your pocket and bump your stature in your chosen profession.....

I just don't understand this scheme on the part of the TOUR..... is there perhaps a way payments are structured that results in a tax advantage over tournament winnings, etc?? i wouldn't think so... any tax accountants or attorneys want to weigh in on the mechanics of this ? Sorry, i just get very skeptical when it comes to the handing out of $$ for reasons that don't quite make sense to me....

Last edited:
How many of these guys are in need of an extra payout?

If there's money there, I think strengthening the pot for the deeper finishers is a great play, or as some have mentioned, sending some of that pool down to the feeder tours that are cultivating the next generation of talent - maybe in the way of setting up travel and/or housing arrangements to reduce the burden of their experience.
That was my thought. How many guys may have the talent and ability to get to the tour but don't have the financial resources to do it. A few extra thousand in payouts to the places in those tournaments could make a huge difference to someone.

While I agree this money would make more of a difference to players further down in the standings or on lower tours, isn’t the point here to reward players for driving engagement? I don’t know what the Tour’s ratings and revenue looks like, but is this really going to help? How will this encourage players to further try and move the needle?

I have a much better way to convince the top pros to play in a more diverse selection of events...

Have a structure in place that tiers players based on their time on tour and/or total events played. For each collection of pros, there will be an expectation to play in all events within a certain window of time (with injury exceptions). If new on tour, the time will be once every two years. If a veteran, maybe once every four years or something.

While I agree this money would make more of a difference to players further down in the standings or on lower tours, isn’t the point here to reward players for driving engagement? I don’t know what the Tour’s ratings and revenue looks like, but is this really going to help? How will this encourage players to further try and move the needle?
Don't they kind of get rewarded for that through endorsements though. I mean if you are a good player, likeable, and draw eyes then you will earn more from those than a good player that no one likes.

Back