PGA Tour Player Bonus Pool

I have a much better way to convince the top pros to play in a more diverse selection of events...

Have a structure in place that tiers players based on their time on tour and/or total events played. For each collection of pros, there will be an expectation to play in all events within a certain window of time (with injury exceptions). If new on tour, the time will be once every two years. If a veteran, maybe once every four years or something.
I’d love to see it, but is that what the Tour is looking for when they say move the needle?

Don't they kind of get rewarded for that through endorsements though. I mean if you are a good player, likeable, and draw eyes then you will earn more from those than a good player that no one likes.
I agree, I really don’t know how this will further incentivize players or ultimately make a difference in “moving the needle”.

I’d love to see it, but is that what the Tour is looking for when they say move the needle?
I know that's what it means to have all players play in all tournaments, which is incredibly healthy for the game.

They are obviously going in a different direction with payouts for appearance fees (thanks Saudi), I just don't see the point in paying the already wealthiest golfers more money just to show up, when it could be structured otherwise.

It still sort of baffles me how the Tour structures it to allow such freedom of selection by the players - It's unlike other sports where they aren't just going to say "nah we don't feel like traveling to that city to play that team" haha

I wonder how the employees laid off by the TOUR during the height of the pandemic feel about this.

I suppose this tells us a bit about what the PGA values.

I think they’ll find that people’s behavior will align with the incentive they’re offering, as that’s usually how things go.

Let’s see, I could go hit a thousand flop shots, or I could meet with my social media team... hmmmm...

I realize this is a defensive move meant to prevent the top players from leaving for greener pastures but I am really not a fan of this. Sometimes it feels like the leaders of the game drive the game further and further away from me. Fundamentally golf should be about performance. Play well, get paid. Miss the cut, tough ****, suck less next week.

The PGA Tour is facing losing 90% of it's top 50 stars and it would immediately become a 2nd tier operation. It was a move they had to do.

I won’t say had to make, it was a move out of fear imho... the PGA needs to stand their ground... over the years dating back to the USFL in any sport where a competitor stepped up (it never managed to over take) and to be quite honest I can’t see any other Golf league taking down the PGA Tour.... and even should the PGA tour lose a lot of its stars.... while they might not be the greats we are used too there are so many good/great golfers out there now and on the Horizon that can carry the torch.... let me ask you or anyone for that matter.... do you watch and love watching the PGA Tour because of certain players? Or do you watch it for the pure love of Golf itself? To be honest while I have my favorites of course I can enjoy watching any brand of Golf at a high level... I get just as much enjoyment watching college golf as I do the PGA Tour... personally speaking and it’s just my opinion if you watch only for certain players then that’s kinda got to be boring as they don’t contend or even play every week

What people fail to realize is that golf is a big time sport now thanks to Tiger Woods and the wonderful players in todays game. If you want to grow todays professional game you have to up the salary in the game. In every other sport the rookies get big contracts before ever entering a game. Personally I think that all the players are under paid and the purses should be double with all the sponsor money in todays game. Just my Humble opinion.

What people fail to realize is that golf is a big time sport now thanks to Tiger Woods and the wonderful players in todays game. If you want to grow todays professional game you have to up the salary in the game. In every other sport the rookies get big contracts before ever entering a game. Personally I think that all the players are under paid and the purses should be double with all the sponsor money in todays game. Just my Humble opinion.
Yup, they need more money.

I think you mean PGA Tour golf has always been this way. The European Tour has paid people to come play their events because they bring eyeballs to the tournament and generate revenue. Why shouldn't the big names get paid more for doing something that others can't? Cameron Tringale has never won an event and has made $13 Million over his career. How many people does he bring to a tournament? A few hundred at most?

The PGA Tour is facing losing 90% of it's top 50 stars and it would immediately become a 2nd tier operation. It was a move they had to do.

After reading the article I agree completely. PGA Tour is doing this proactively as a way to further entice the top players to stay away from any competing leagues.

Would I rather these funds be distrubuted as larger purses or down to the lower tours for the guys grinding it out each week? Yes, but I can understand the desire to create this pool by the PGA.

I suppose this tells us a bit about what the PGA values.

I think they’ll find that people’s behavior will align with the incentive they’re offering, as that’s usually how things go.

Let’s see, I could go hit a thousand flop shots, or I could meet with my social media team... hmmmm...

The thing is, those players who qualify for this thing, already have a ton of money.

The thing is, those players who qualify for this thing, already have a ton of money.

I agree, but what bearing does that have on the issue? Should that preclude them from making more?

To be clear I’m not in support of this program. I’d rather see the PGA keep their incentives focused on golf excellence, not on generating buzz.

The latest article I read about it earlier today (they've actually updated the originally posted article as well) said that they've also removed FedEx Cup rankings as one of the criteria - so now none of it is about performance, it's all about social media presence/popularity/ratings. Pretty transparent in that they can now hand that money to Tiger, Rickie, etc. regardless of their performance. They can miss every cut, or not even be playing, and as long as they're moving the needle they'll get paid.

The latest article I read about it earlier today (they've actually updated the originally posted article as well) said that they've also removed FedEx Cup rankings as one of the criteria - so now none of it is about performance, it's all about social media presence/popularity/ratings. Pretty transparent in that they can now hand that money to Tiger, Rickie, etc. regardless of their performance. They can miss every cut, or not even be playing, and as long as they're moving the needle they'll get paid.
Each Tournament hires these guys for one day one offs at substantial $. So the stars are already cashing big time regardless of performance. I was very close to the guy who did the solicitations for the Travelers Championship.....The tour outlaws appearance fees...but they get around that by having the payment for a one off in the future.

Golf is no longer a notch above Darts and Checkers. Real athletes play golf now and more player from other sports are geeking out over golf. Most athletes now give golf a second look when trying to decide there future and the fact that golfers get paid more will have a big affect on that decision.

If “moving the needle” is the goal of this bonus pool, then I’m all for it. But how is it going to change Tiger’s engagement? Will it actually influence change or have a positive impact? I’m not sure.

After reading the article I agree completely. PGA Tour is doing this proactively as a way to further entice the top players to stay away from any competing leagues.

Would I rather these funds be distrubuted as larger purses or down to the lower tours for the guys grinding it out each week? Yes, but I can understand the desire to create this pool by the PGA.
I'm sure what you suggested was option #2. Instead of making each tournament purse an extra two million they chose the current plan.

I thought Max Homa's reactions on Twitter were pretty funny. He's always a good follow.

So, you get a mid-low rated player to Instagram himself wearing those outrageous Pants and badly matched shirts, show a few tantrums, publicly fire a caddy, grow a mullet, miss every cut and he could lead the world in Money.

Didn't like it when I first heard about it a few days ago and still don't like it. Biggest beneficiaries will be Tiger, Phil and Rickie. Rickie has no game, Phil's game is better served on the Champions Tour and Tiger obviously can't even play. It does nothing for the guys showing up to the majority of tournaments trying to earn their dollars the hard way.

Here are a few more details on eligibility requirements for the bonus pool.

Back