thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was lucky enough last night to not only take some swings with some irons I'm looking to buy, but the kind fellow (@GraniteRoost) also snapped a few pics of my swing. Clubs are shorter than I'm used to, but figure I'd throw these out there and see if anyone sees anything glaring I could work on?

Attachments

• 46004DBF-B639-47EC-A075-8478FD057E8D.jpeg
    46004DBF-B639-47EC-A075-8478FD057E8D.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 72D5C7E8-B5AB-44CC-8C8F-F2581C77CC0D.jpeg
    72D5C7E8-B5AB-44CC-8C8F-F2581C77CC0D.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 6B7D557B-2109-4895-AA04-DBBC86E46D36.jpeg
    6B7D557B-2109-4895-AA04-DBBC86E46D36.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 54
im not a teacher nor should i give advice
what club is that? 9 iron?
i dont know if its just me but your feet look awfully close together.
my feet generally look like that for a 20 yard pitch shot.
maybe spread them out a little to get a firmer stance on the ground.

The first one (follow through) I honestly don't remember, second and third were both with a 54* wedge.

:LOL: He tried, but the video he took wouldn't upload.

If the video is large, use youtube or video hosting service and then post that link here through the embed feature.

I'd probably try to put up a video using your typical clubs. Hard to tell much from those images. Kind of bad angles. More front-on and down the line is easier to analyze. Looks like it was a nice night!

If the video is large, use youtube or video hosting service and then post that link here through the embed feature.

On my iPhone, when I post to the forum using Safari, all of my picture add and videos add icons are grey'ed out, except the GIPHY. I have to use Attach Files to add pictures. Any idea how I fix that? My iPhone is a couple versions old, but the video and pictures add functions worked while we were in Florida last November. Not sure what happened.

Will upload to YouTube in the meantime.

OK, here we go:

Lotta taller players can benefit from their stance being a tad narrower. Much easier to get onto your front foot and takes some strain off the low back and hips. A pro narrowed my stance many years ago and it helped a lot. (y)I know it feels really exaggerated and tough to turn when my feet are too far apart. :cool:

The grip guys are going to have something to say about that right hand.
Put it on me, always looking for advice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The grip guys are going to have something to say about that right hand.
Does look turned under a tad, doesn't it? Make sure those V's on your grip point up to your right shoulder.
Little bit of casting from the top. I think you're a little "stuck" from what I can see? Looks like you come across the line. Otherwise, good, athletic move! But if the grip is a little off, everything else is going to be harder. My eyes did go there as well.

Does look turned under a tad, doesn't it? Make sure those V's on your grip point up to your right shoulder.
Little bit of casting from the top. I think you're a little "stuck" from what I can see? Looks like you come across the line. Otherwise, good, athletic move! But if the grip is a little off, everything else is going to be harder. My eyes did go there as well.
Both videos look like classic pull swings to me. Will watch my v's next time out for sure!

Peter Harris is the teaching pro at Fore-U and is an ultra-nice guy. Knows his stuff too, and has a nice teaching style. I've never taken a lesson with him, but from just talking with hi, and watching him with others on the range I would be optimistic about taking some lessons. I ran into him at Golf and Ski a couple days ago, and actually had the conversation that I was interested in what he would have to say, but concerned I would never put the follow through and practice time in place to make it stick thus wasting both out time. (I'm lazy haha). Might be worth a conversation.

TEACHING PHILOSOPHY

Golf is an athletic sport, my goal is to give you an understanding of your swing characteristics to help you self-correct when you are on your own.
My coaching is fun, highly personalized and is based on facts. Since we all are different and do not swing the club the same, there are many ways to successfully hit a good golf shot. We all have different physical characteristics and athletic ability and creating a technically sound golf swing based on fundamentals and your ability provides a simple approach to help you play better.
Our blueprint for success in golf comes from the understanding that there are only Four Ways to improve in golf. These are:
  • Building a better golf swing for your natural and preferred ball flight
  • Making sure we have the right clubs and ball for our golf swing to optimize ball flight
  • Understanding, fixing or teaching around our body’s fitness level and physical limitations
  • Improving our mind and focus to practice and play better
Great golf requires a commitment to these four areas and dedication, passion and discipline to practice and play with a purpose to become better.

That's what I was thinking. Looked pulled. But if you get stuck, that's about all you can do, other than try to time it and hold off for dear life and clear the body like mad and then maybe lose it right if the timing is off.

I offer up this drill for a lot of people, but it can help with getting the club more down the line going back and through to avoid getting stuck.

As a taller guy myself, the narrow stance is probably a good thing. You look fairly tall? (y)

Put it on me, always looking for advice

Just kind of what @blueonblack was saying, and almost like you have a thumb press (?). Is your thumb along the shaft, or on top? Combined with a little bit of OTT, it'd be really hard not to have them pull left like that.

Just kind of what @blueonblack was saying, and almost like you have a thumb press (?). Is your thumb along the shaft, or on top? Combined with a little bit of OTT, it'd be really hard not to have them pull left like that.
Would definitely say more along than on top of.

That's what I was thinking. Looked pulled. But if you get stuck, that's about all you can do, other than try to time it and hold off for dear life and clear the body like mad and then maybe lose it right if the timing is off.

I offer up this drill for a lot of people, but it can help with getting the club more down the line going back and through to avoid getting stuck.

As a taller guy myself, the narrow stance is probably a good thing. You look fairly tall? (y)

Yeah, 6'5. Thanks for the video suggestion, will give it a watch!

Not a bad swing. If it works, rock it.

My only critique is it doesn’t look very fluid/athletic. I wouldn’t take such a narrow stance and I’d try to be a little more athletic with it. Looks like you’re a bit stiff overall.

But if you are seeing the desired results, I’ve seen a lot worse that work.

My only critique is it doesn’t look very fluid/athletic. I wouldn’t take such a narrow stance and I’d try to be a little more athletic with it. Looks like you’re a bit stiff overall.

Appreciate the feedback. Being more fluid is definitely something I'm working toward.

The comment I would make here, is that video does not do justice to the OP's swing. One of my first thoughts watching was... deliberate tempo, smooth, fluid, not rushed. Very nice. And then somehow the ball gets absolutely spanked. There are a lot of things going right here. Again, video does not do justice to how hard the ball is being hit.

I would watch out for lack of continuing rotation and steep AOA. Your hips are facing the ball at impact and your right arm is fully extended before impact. If you run the video at 25% speed you'll see the steep AOA (see pic below). There's very little lower body movement in your swing. I think the top looks good, but watch in slow-mo how your right-upper body turns out towards the ball at the start of the downswing, throwing the club handle towards the ball. Plus, you're stopping your lower body rotation at the ball. My 2 cents because I'm fighting the same lack of rotation and AOA issues. I've watched the below GG video about 50 times to train-in the movement. My brain says my back left pocket is in camera view at impact but videos says nope.

Attachments

• 2020-08-06_14-44-58.jpg
    2020-08-06_14-44-58.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 2020-08-06_14-51-34.jpg
    2020-08-06_14-51-34.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back