Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

Let me set the stage for you

Ping G20 Irons – a series of postings by Omikey on his experience with his new Ping G20 irons.

Disclaimer – This is not a THP, Ping sponsored product testing. Merely that I purchased some G20 Irons and I am providing information regarding my experience with them. I will do my best to provide the information in the same style as ‘sponsored testers’.

Please feel free to ask me anything you like, I’ll do my best to answer your questions or do research to find answers if/when required.

First I think it’s important that you have some information/background about me, my swing and the clubs that are being replaced. This should help you understand/relate to some of my statements regarding ball flight, strike zone, feel, impact sound and stuff like that throughout my postings.

I’m 63 years old, 5’9” and 175 pounds. I’ve never been a long hitter or had a high trajectory ball flight. My current handicap is 20.6, in 2007 I was playing to a 15. In the early spring of 2008 I hurt my lower back and didn’t play again until late in 2009. Since that time I’ve been increasing my play, no physical problems at this time, just getting over being lazy and back into playing more and loving it again.

My Swing Characteristics:
Swing flaws that I’m aware of and working to correct:

• [*=1]Very closed at address with the right side way to low[*=1]I bring the club much too far to the inside on the takeaway[*=1]I have an over the top move[*=1]All this (and more I’m sure) results in hitting the ball towards the toe of the club. My misses are mostly ‘pulled’ or ‘hook’.
Things that I think are good in my swing:

• [*=1]Mostly I’m ‘in balance’[*=1]I have a good grip, neutral[*=1]‘Most’ of the time I think my rhythm and tempo are good[*=1]I show signs of GREATNESS at times :act-up:
Driver:

• [*=1]While the driver is not a part of this, I thought that it was worth mentioning for background.[*=1]My carry is about 215 – 225 yards. Most misses are pulled left, I’ve been known to slice a few here and there.

Current set of irons being replaced by the Ping G20’s and the distances that I play them from:
King Cobra SS Oversized (BTW, the SS stood for ‘Sweet Spot’, no kidding !). – These clubs were released by Cobra in 2002 and that’s the year that I bought them –Elsewhere here in THP I said that I’ve had them since 2001. Since that posting I did some research and found that it was in fact 2002.

At that time these clubs where the CHINTZ !! Had the term ‘Game Improvement’ been around back then, they would also have been called that, and they did made a BIG improvement to my game.

King Cobra - Here’s a listing of the irons that I have in that set and the distance that I play them to:

3, 4, 5, 6 – I have them, but they are not in the bag, I don’t play them because I can’t hit them well
7 – play it from 140 - 150
8 – play it from 135 – 140
9 – play it from 125 – 135
PW – play it from 115 – 125
GW – play it from 90 – 115
SW – play it from 90 to green
LW – play it from 80 to green

Ping G20’s – Here’s a listing of the irons that I have and the distance that I’ll play them from:

7 – distance to be determined but will start out using Cobra basis
8 – distance to be determined but will start out using Cobra basis
9 – distance to be determined but will start out using Cobra basis
PW – distance to be determined but will start out using Cobra basis
UW – distance to be determined but will start out using Cobra basis
SW – distance to be determined but will start out using Cobra basis
LW – distance to be determined but will start out using Cobra basis

Alright, now the stage is set.

I have the G20’s now, I received them yesterday, 11/8/2011 while on the practice range.

I’ve already posted up some pictures, but will start over, from the beginning, to include my first impressions and get the pictures in the correct sequence.

The next few postings will be:
  • My 'Initial Impressions'
  • First trip to the practice range (that was today 11/9/2011)
  • Tomorrow I also have a lesson scheduled with the Club PGA Professional. I will also, of course, report on that.

This should keep me busy until this weekend HAHAHAHHAAA

Can't wait for the first time I get to really put these in a GAME !! WHOOOOOT YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO :blob:

omikey,
really looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Thanks for taking the time to post.

1) Lesson got rained out this morning :( so we rescheduled for next Tuesday WOOOOT

2) Doug, Thanks, and You're Welcome !

3) Will post 'Initial Impressions' later today/this evening

Initial Impressions:

I actually got the clubs on Tuesday, 11/08/2011. While I was on the practice range with my old clubs the asst. pro came out and told me they had arrived. OK OK, so I had to hit just ONE of them, RIGHT ? So I hit the U wedge a few times, you know, just to see how we were gonna get along LOL…. More on all that later when I post about range practice, for now, let’s get back to the initial impressions.

I’d like to show you some pictures of me taking them outa the box, however the club had already removed all the packaging. I guess they thought they were doing me a favor, they don’t know THPers LOL.

Let’s start with the ‘look’ – and remember where I’m coming from with my old clubs.

Overview:
I LIKE looking at these clubs !! YES. When addressing the ball they instill confidence just from the look … it’s like you KNOW it’s gonna get airborne! ! The fit and finish it TOP NOTCH.

I like the color scheme, I have the graphite shafts (gray, red and black), which matches up well with the club head, no clash or distraction at the club head and shaft. More on this in a bit along with pics.

One of the first things that I noticed is that the clubs do not have a ferrule. I don’t know if that’s what Pings have always been like since I’ve never had them before. It looked a bit odd to me at first, but now after looking at them for 3 days I’m accustomed to that.

Looks:
From an appearance perspective these clubs have a lot of beef !, yet they are not heavy. I weighed the 9 iron and was surprised to find that it was actually .75oz heavier than the King Cobra, it ‘felt’ lighter. I don’t know, it could be the swing weight. The ping 9I weighs 14.0oz and the KC was 13.75oz.

Yes, the clubs have a thick top line and very large sole. I had some reservation about that heavy top line because I like clean small looking clubs, but I can’t hit them. So it was easy to put that behind me. Also, check out these two pictures of the pitching wedge. You’ll notice that the Ping doesn’t have that much of a thicker top line than the KC that I’ve been playing for the past 9 years. To me this is not an issue and I like the looks of the ping club.

IMG_8489.jpg

IMG_8490.jpg

Here’s one showing the sole of the two clubs. Please remember I’m not really ‘comparing’ these two clubs to say what is good or bad, but making a reference to what I’m used to and what the Ping looks like.

IMG_8488.jpg

Here’s one that shows all of them:

Cobras:
IMG_8481.jpg

Pings:
IMG_8482.jpg

Thick sole:
In the photo below the 7I is on the right, LW on the far left. You might notice the sole on these clubs. When standing at this angle you can easily see why the longer clubs won’t ‘DIG’ … but from a users perspective, you don’t see that that. I’ll have plenty to report on how well that sole works when I get to my range testing… WOOOOT

IMG_8475.jpg

Here’s a shot showing the backs of the clubs …. Let me know if you want close ups.
IMG_8474.jpg

Color Scheme:
I really like it! I think that gray, red and black go well together. I like that the gray part of the shaft is down onto the club head, keeps the look simple and clean.
And look at this pic, at first it just looks like some black graphic in the red part.

IMG_8477.jpg

Ck this close up, hope you can see it - I guess you could call it a ‘graphic’, it’s actually the Ping logo embedded in the graphite and shows in different colors but from a distance looks just like some cool sorta black design in the red.

IMG_8522.jpg
IMG_8523.jpg

That's pretty neat Ping Golf !

How does it feel when you put it your hands:
To me, the club seems well balanced for an easy swing. The grip is different than what I’m used to but seems that it would hold up for awhile. I’ll probably change them out soon. I’ll be going with Lamkin, not sure which one yet, or, Tackie Mac.

The club has enough weight down low that you never really forget where that head is, you can feel it all the way through the swing. And I LIKE THAT! I’ve always liked a heavy swing weight. I don’t know what the swing weight of these are, but I like em !

Summary:
I'm liking the looks of the clubs more than I thought I would. I had reservation about the 'beefy' look of the club. It hasn't taken me long to get very used to it, I don't even notice it now. To me, already, they just look like normal sized clubs.

I like the way they setup behind the ball, they look aggresive. It 'seems' to me that there is more offset than what the KC have, which will help ensure that the hands get through first.

Summ it up, I"M LIKING EM OH YEAH :joy: :clapp: :joy: :clap:

I haven't had the chance to hit these, but my father inlaw has and said the feeling of these were "unlike anything he's hit before". He's played the ping anser, JPX Pros and the AP2's so far this year.

I'm intrigued to say the least.

In what regard ?

Thanks

I'm interested to hear about how these perform against some other GI irons. I like the look of the back, but the top line and sole are way too thick for my taste.

John Deere Tappin...

you'll get a chance to hit mine on Monday, see for yourself
:)

good thing is that you don't have to hit the ball with those parts
:laughing:

I like Ping equipment and the i15 irons were very special to me after last year at the demo day. I still think about those irons when I see them on occasion. I could game them in a heartbeat. These new G20 irons look pretty cool so it will be fun to test them at the outing. I am putting these down on my lists if they make the demo day agenda.....

OG, you can hit mine on Monday when we play :joy:

but I only have the 7 on down, so if you're looking for the longer irons, you'll have to look else where Cuzz !!

I'll be posting my 'Range Review' of these today/this evening. I never realized how much 'thought' is required to write up a review on golf equipment.

Yall will have to tell me if I'm rambling on, lacking informative input, need to be more concise in my review. My objective is to provide you with the information you want/need and not bore with you a lot of text that you won't read.

I hit these yesterday on a sim. Overall I liked them. I don't understand the people (not necessarily on this site) who go on about how ugly they are. At address sure the top line is thick, but you can't see the cavity or sole (obviously) so who cares what they look like. For me, I was hitting them too high and I'm moving away from offset but they are great clubs.

I'll be posting my 'Range Review' of these today/this evening. I never realized how much 'thought' is required to write up a review on golf equipment.

Yall will have to tell me if I'm rambling on, lacking informative input, need to be more concise in my review. My objective is to provide you with the information you want/need and not bore with you a lot of text that you won't read.

I made the above post on the 13th ... and I did the write up on the 13th. I haven't posted it yet for two reasons

1) I have some pictures that I want to take (I forgot about that) to add in with the writeup
2) After seeing some of the other testers input on the stuff they are testing, man it just seemed that I was 'rambling' and really not providing quantitative information in it.

as for a perfect example, that write up that c0ncept did on his write-up on the CG Black driver - That was an OUTSTANDING review

I have to go out for awhile, when I get back I'll take some pictures, if I get what I want I'll post the thing up tonight. Otherwise it will have to wait until tomorrow when I can get the pictures outside in better light conditions.

Ping makes great clubs. Virtually indestructible too. I hope you like them. :)

Ping makes great clubs. Virtually indestructible too. I hope you like them. :)

So far, it's like Mac D .... I'm Lovin' em !!!

First Driving Range Experience:

OK, OK, so I’ve had the clubs for 8 days. Yes, I’ve been to the range, more than once. But I can still remember my first time … you can remember your first time, RIGHT ? ….. yes, we’re still talking golf :laughing:

Some things still stick out in my mind from my INITIAL IMPRESSIONS from when I first got the clubs. I didn’t realize how much I like the finish on the club. It’s like a ‘brushed nickel’ looking, soft, non-glaring and pleasing to my eye. It’s also easy to see your wear pattern on the face of the club.

On another note, I also mentioned the grip in my Initial Impressions. The grips on the club have a ‘texture’ to them. I found that after about 45 minutes of hitting balls that it was bit ‘harsh’ on my hands. Now that could be that I was gripping the club to hard, I don’t know. Also, when I got some water on the grip it seemed to be very slippery, however it also seemed to dry VERY FAST. It seems that the water sorta gets into that ‘texture’ and then doesn’t really bother your ‘grip. I think I’ll be changing the grips soon.

This report has the following structure:

Somewhat of a summary, then the different types of strikes on the ball, center, toe, heel, thin.

With each type of strike I give you the:
1) the trajectory (height and line)
2) the distance
3) the feel

OK – The range session.

The weather was warm, near mid 60’s, bright sunshine, no wind, guess I’d call it just short of perfect. After doing a few warm-up exercises and a few stretches (dayum I’m reminded how old my body is getting) I was ready to HIT BALLS.

I decided to start with the U wedge and when I was ready to move to another one I’d just go to whatever club hit my fancy.

WOW, HOLLY COW, I’ve NEVER hit balls so high in my life !! I told a friend of mine, who’s a high ball hitter, do not hit this club man, you’ll shoot yur eye out !! :laughing:

MAN, the ball just shot off the face of the club. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I’ve never had ball fight like that, EVER! The flight was HIGH, straight and about the same distance that I was used to hitting the Cobra gap wedge, 100 -115 yards. After several shots I counted out 50 balls to hit with this club.

I was INSTANTANEOUSLY IN LOVE ! GOOD GOLLY ! It was so effortless to put the ball high in the air. The trajectory appears to be, and of course I’m only guessing since I have no way to measure this, about 15-20% higher than my normal hit with the Cobra GW (remember they are 9 yrs old).

I KNOW that if/when on the course this shot will land softly with very little roll out. Remember, I’m a capper, so I don’t get a lot of backspin and I never suck the ball back. I’ve always had to deal with a lot of roll-out on my short approach shots. It now appears that I may have the solution to that in hand. WAHOOOOOO !!

OK, let’s get down to it. Like all clubs, when the ball is hit in the sweet spot, you get the full appreciation of what the club designer has given you. It’s pure delight, we all know what happens when you hit the ball in the sweet spot. What about those shots on the toe, or the heel, or thin and bladed, and I have all those shots too HAHAHA

Toe Shots:
Trajectory :​
You will notice in my pictures that I hit to the toe side of center. You’ll see that on all my clubs as it’s consistent throughout my bag.

Height:
I hit the ball higher with these clubs than any I’ve ever hit. The ball flight (talking the short irons) starts to up shoot quickly and rises to the peak at/near the distance traveled. This results in a ball that will land softly on the green with little roll out. This offers me a GREAT opportunity to improve my scoring.​

Line:
I have yet to really HOOK a shot with these clubs, PULLED them, yes, hook, no. Slice, nope, not that either. What I’ve experienced with these clubs, so far is that on off center shots the ball still remains mostly on line. Sure you can pull it, and/or leave the face a bit open and with the toe hit you’ll pull it left or see it fade off the target line. I’m VERY pleased with the way the clubs perform given the swing that I put on the ball.

Distance:
I get excellent distance with the G20’s (remember we’re talking about hitting towards the toe) and play my 9I from 130 yards. Yes, I do occasionally hit it in the sweet spot. When hit there it appears that I might be getting another 5-10 yards of distance with the U wedge. On the course this I think would put me at the back of the green instead of in the center.
Of course hitting them in the sweet spot will offer more distance, the point I’m trying to make here is that I DON”T OFTEN hit the sweet spot. For hits towards the toe you can expect very little loss of distance, good trajectory and a soft landing.​

Feel:
Can you say SOFT … .OH YEAH … There are no ill effects coming back up the shaft into your hands. You can feel where on the club face you hit the ball

Heel Shots: - It is extremely rare that I hit an iron in on the heel. So far I haven’t hit any shots there with these clubs so I don’t have any input for you on this shot, yet.

Trajectory: ?
Distance: ?
Feel: ?

Thin Shots:
Trajectory:​
Height:​
If hit low but on the club face, not the leading edge then you will see the ball at least get off the ground. On my thin shots I don’t get much attitude and the ball runs hard after it lands. So if this is a shot at the green I know I’ll be out the back and chipping back.

Line:
Usually when I hit a thin shot I have the club pretty square to the line, as a result the ball is going straight.

Distance:
I have to chuckle here … distance on a THIN shot depends on just how thin did you hit it. Did you hit it down on the first or second grove, or did you hit it with the leading edge. Was it a 7i or a UW … I just don’t know where it’s gonna stop as that depends on if it’s a 7I or a UW for example.
Distance is unpredictable when the ball is hit thin, it’s just the way things are.

Feel:
Mishit thin shots with the Cobras will send stinging vibes into your hands. I have not felt that with the Ping G20’s, and trust me, I have had thin mishits with them, sad, but true.​

Fat Shots:
No club is gonna make up for a really bad swing and there are varying degrees of ‘FAT’ when it comes to this shot. My input here is from the perspective that you hit just behind the ball, but not so far that the ball never got off the ground and didn’t go as far as your divot :laughing:

Trajectory:
Height:
Will not be as high as a clean shot but will still have respectable height to it. You could expect more roll out on the green with this shot, if you get there.

Line:
Since the club, by design, doesn’t DIG IN it doesn’t snap the clubface closed when hit a bit fat. This results in the ball moving on your line vs a hooked shot.
Distance:
Best I could tell, hitting ‘just fat’ will decrease the distance by about 15%. I play my 9I from 130 and I’m seeing about a 20 yard loss on the fat shot. This is an improvement over my Cobra’s because of the wide sole on the Ping.

The club doesn’t dig in as much and sorta scoots along and still gets the face onto the back of the ball sorta ‘clean’. For those shots that are ‘just a bit fat’ not to much dirt gets between the clubface and the ball. So while you didn’t hit the ‘perfect’ shot you won’t get ‘perfect’ trajectory and ‘perfect’ distance but you are also not going to miss by much = no large penalty for hitting it ‘just fat’

This is not the same thing as that massive VERTICAL ATTACK down at the ball, dropping that right shoulder. No club can stop that from digging a trench, at which time your ball is going 5 yards, sorry they don’t make a club to fix ugly.

Feel:
What I feel is the club hitting the dirt before the ball, so there is no feedback about any ‘good’ or ‘bad’ sensation relating to what the ball ‘feels’ like on the face. You can still fell it hit the face but everything is pretty muted because of hitting the dirt first.

Sound (on clean shots):
Never having Ping clubs before I don’t know if they sound like traditional Pings or not. Compared to my old clubs they have a somewhat quieter sound to them.

I do think that they make a Nice CLICKING sound when struck well. Off center hits have more a muted sound than center hits. I can say that I do like the way they sound, clicky, wish I had something more to give you here but maybe you’ll just have to go hit some and hear them 

7 iron at address

First is the King Cobra
IMG_8485-1.jpg

This one is the Ping G20
IMG_8486-1.jpg

Here’s some pictures showing you my strike pattern – and I AM working to move that closer to center, everything takes so dang long ….

Lob Wedge:
IMG_8518.jpg

U Wedge:

IMG_8497-1.jpg

9 iron:
IMG_8515.jpg

9 Iron

IMG_8529.jpg

I had a lesson from the club PGA Pro on Tuesday. I'm off to the club now to see how I can work the minor changes into my short game. The only thing we changed so far is ball positioning.

I'm standing closer to the ball and the ball is back further in my stance.

Weather here is damp and cool, shouldn't be many, if any, peeps on the course.

I'm going to test the following shots:

On each of the holes (except par 3's of course) I will drop a ball at the following distances:

125 yards - Pitching wedge

100 yards - Utility wedge

80 yards - Lob wedge

My target will be the center of the green

My objective is to get all 3 balls onto the green on every hole.

I'll report when I get back - wish me luck :act-up:

Thanks Sean !!!

November 17, 2011
Heave Overcast 58*
Mid Carolina Club, Prosperity SC
Ping G20 short iron testing
Previous irons King Cobra SS OS, circa 2002

Here are the results of my short game practice today. As you’ll see I had some difficultly in the front nine but was able to pull it together pretty good in the back.

In my posting before I left to go practice I said there shouldn’t be many peeps on the course OMG ….
1) They had the men’s Senior Association players out
2) They had the Annual Clemson / USC grudge match = LOTS of football fans out playing golf

The place was PACKED and I got put out between some groups off #1. I was feeling rushed all the way through the front 9 and just couldn’t settle down and find a ‘grove’.

Both of those groups had shotgun starts and were almost done when I got started. When I made the turn there was nobody in front of or behind me. After that I was able to relax and not feel like I was in the middle of somebody’s game and started making some shots.

Of the shots that hit the green only about 8 of them were Tight to center – which was my target. I used ALL of the green when I was hitting it, not like JB sticking it within 15 feet from 100 yards :D

These irons are VERY FORGIVING and this practice session today proved just how much so!! Many of the shots where I was just long or right/left or short could easily have been a total disaster. The mishits, either thin, fat, open were really not that far off the green. All could easily have been chipped on with reasonable expectation of an opportunity to get it close to the pin. EXCEPT for the 2 that I sha……

When I ‘flushed’ one, and I did several, it’s a SWEET sound and a GREAT FEELING from the club. The ball ‘clicks’ first then the thump on the turf. It’s very easy to feel the ball compression when hit like that.

I’m not used to the high trajectory and I ‘THINK’ this contributed to some of my misses. When hit flush the trajectory is so high the ball looks like it’s going to fly the green. Yet it lands softly at just the right distance. I just didn’t trust it and therefore was ‘anxious’ at times over the ball which resulted in bad swings. When I did trust it and just let it rip, OMG….. OH HOW SWEEEEEET IT IS !!!!

I do like the trajectory with these irons as its high with a soft landing and very little roll out. I even had one ball suck back about 5 feet today. That is VERY RARE for my shot. I just need a bit more time to get used to seeing my ball that high and knowing that it’s gonna drop in.

There were a couple of times where I was a bit apprehensive about using the PW from 125. You know, say when there’s a large hill to get up to an elevated green, I just wasn’t sure that I could get the PW that far.

On holes 5, 9, 10, and 15 it is advisable to club up. You’ll see that on 5 and 9 I came up short from the 125 (I used the PW) but on 10 and 15 I clubbed up to the 9I and hit the green. I was still hitting from 125 but just needed more club, 9I, PERFECT, flushed it both times WAHOOOOOOO! Goosh I REALLY LIKE these clubs !!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve decided the next time I do this exercise I’ll use the 9I for all the 125yd shots. I think this will take some of the pressure off and let me swing a bit easier.
Table Legend:
Lg = Long
St = Short
Rt = Right
Lt = Left
PH = Pin high
OF = On Fringe
G = Green

Most, if not all (CRS) of the short shots were hit fat and the long shots were hit thin – again I say, these are some VERY forgiving clubs !

Front Nine:
Holes 4 and 7 are par 3’s over water so they were not hit to for this exercise
Distance
Total
125 yd
Rt phGshankNASt ofshankNAGst2/7
100 yd
Rt phRt phLg ofNAlgGNAGG3/7
80 yd
Rt ofStLgNAGGNAGG4/7

Total 9/21

Back Nine:
Distance
Total
125 yd
GLgGNABladeGLgGG5/8
100 yd
GGStNAGLgGGG6/8
80 yd
GGGNAGGGGG8/8

Total 19/24

Grand Total 28/45

Last edited:
I'm off to the course again .... this time I called ahead DUH ! They said the course is wide open from 1:00 on.
By the time I get there, warm up, the place will me ALLLLLL MINE !!

I will be working those irons today !!! GIDDY UP !!!!!!!!

Today I'll work the 7, 8 and 9 from 150, 140 and 130. It might be too cold for those distances, I'll adjust if so :)

Great writeups Omikey. I have hit the G20's and liked them. Just not sure they are what I'm looking for in an iron. I plan on hitting them a few more times though

Thanks CL I'm liking them. I can see that they aren't for everyone that's for sure. But for me I've always struggled with getting the ball well into the air. I have always had a flat boring trajectory - when it hit the green I knew it would be out the back. These clubs make it so easy to get height on the shot and to land the ball softly on the green.

I'm now seeing, on 8I and lower, VERY LITTLE roll out on my approaches. I'm VERY EXCITED about that !!! It's AWESOME !

If a person has no problems getting the ball airborne or holding the green already, then you might not like these irons.

Another benefit, for my experience, is the TOTAL FORGIVENESS on mishit shots. Shots hit very low on the club still stay on line, same with shots hit off the toe side of the face, on line. Both of those shots will of course not get maximum distance, but what they do get is VERY RESPECTABLE/ACCEPTABLE considering what one might get with clubs that are not so forgiving.

These clubs, FOR ME, offer a pretty big improvement to my game and I anticipate that my HC will be going down faster by having these in my bag.

Great writeups Omikey. I have hit the G20's and liked them. Just not sure they are what I'm looking for in an iron. I plan on hitting them a few more times though

November 19, 2011
Mid Carolina Club, Prosperity SC
Mostly Sunny 58 - 60*
Wind Conditions: Calm
Ping G20 short iron testing
Previous irons King Cobra SS OS, circa 2002

I got out today to practice on 9 holes with the 7, 8 and UW irons.

A general observation:
The course was empty and I had the place to myself, mostly, so I was never 'rushed' to finish a hole and move along. This really helps me relax and focus on my swing and what I'm trying to do. I think my results are better at practice than when 'playing' for a score.

The practice approach focus was:
  1. [*=1]7 Iron from 150 yards[*=1]8 Iron from 140 yards[*=1]UW from 100 yards
(I did keep track of my driving stats too but that's not part of the iron testing, I'll just say this - I do like that K15 driver and was pleased with the driving yesterday. I hit a PERFECT drive on #1, dogleg right, trees on the right and left, traps on both left/right sides of fairway. I was just past the end of the traps and split the fairway down the middle. The total distance on the UproGO was 238 !!! That's a HUGE drive for me !! GO K15 !)

What I observed about the G20 irons today:

• Been said many times but I can't help but mention it because it is so significant to my game. These clubs are totally forgiving. Poorly mishit shots are rewarded with good results that can still be saved to a boggy or even a lot of the time an opportunity to get that par.
  • I was able to 'trust' in UW today from 100 yards. That high trajectory is still very new to me and it still looks like it's going long, but drops in with very little rollout. I absolutely love this iron. In my game I'll be shooting to layup to 100 to 80 yards. At 100 I'd play the UW at 80 the LW, and with either I can land the ball softly and not have to worry about my ball running out the back.
  • Distances:
    • 7 iron from 150 - I don't hit these irons as far as I did the KCs (King Cobras). With the KC 7i I played it all the time from 140 - 150 no problem. With the G20 I feel that I'm pushing it to get that 7i to the 150. On most of the shots in this session I was missing right, but also short. The one that I did get on the green was in the front 25%.
    • I 'THINK' perhapse that one of the reasons that I was missing I may have been over swinging and not trusting in the 7i to go the 150.
      • I'll work on this in my next session.
    • 8 iron from 140 - I do feel a little uncomfortable with this distance with the 8i. The results were pretty good, I hit 5/7 from this distance. Most of them were in the front part of the green. None were long.
  • Feel:
    • I like the feedback from these clubs. When you flush one you get a nice quiet type of feeling back up the shaft and into the grip. Along with that there's the nice clickity sound just before the club strikes the turf.
    • Mishits - I never get the 'sting' that I often got with the KCs on mishits. Especially this is true for the THIN shots. But off center hits there is no 'harsh' feedback. There is enough feedback that you can tell where on the face you missed it - I like this because it helps me understand what adjustment(s) I need to make.
  • Sight:
    • I'm starting to get used to, and REALLY LIKING, the high trajectory produced on well struck shots. They still look like they are going long to me, but results prove otherwise. I love seeing the ball up in the air like that WAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!
  • Looks:
    • I've used the clubs enough now that they look like 'MY CLUBS'. I don't notice a thick topline, and of course you never see the sole once it's taken from the bag.
    • I like the way the clubs look, even in the bag. I like the design on the back of the club and think they are attractive, pleasing to my eye.
    • I like the way the club sets up behind the ball. It frames the ball nicely, I hope the white paint on that lower grove doesn't wear away. I use that to align my shot. The KCs don't have that and I never thought that I'd use something like that. Now having it, I'd fight ya if you tried to take that away from me :D

Front Nine:
Holes 4 and 7 are par 3’s over water so I played the distance from the tee box:​

• [*=2]#4 today was 115 yards, I played the PW - hit the green[*=2]#7 today was 130 yards, I played the 9 iron - hit the green

Distance
Total
150 yd
lftrgtrgtna
rgtshtna
grgt1/7
140 yd
rgtg
g
na
g
g
na
g
lft5/7
100 yd
g
g
g
na
g
g
na
g
lft6/7
Total Greens Hit 12/21

Observations:

Looking at the results in the table a few things jump out at me. Most of the misses now are to the right, and I only hit 1 green from 150 yards. From 100 and in I'm pretty solid but need more work from 125 and longer.

I also notice that I miss more when I get real 'target orientated'. Like going for the pin as opposed to the center of the green. I have also noticed that my swing is not as smooth or consistent when I'm playing for a score vs just practice. I'd like to get over that.

I'm LOVING the Ping G20 Irons !! Best thing I've done for my game in 9 years WHOOOOOT :joy:

Omikey, that was a stellar review. I love the way you set this up and will have to steal some of your lay-out, lol. I can't wait until you have that 7i dialed in, money my man.

Thanks 'Due' !! I appreciate it !

Take whatever you want from the layout, the more we use the best of each others work, the better we make this AWESOME PLACE !!!

Getting that 7 dialed in .... oh yeah .... gonna take some work but I'm up to it !! Money shot WHOOOOT !!!

:laughing: I LOVE IT !!!!1

Omikey, I am just as excited as you are!
Went out yesterday and played 18 holes, hit 17 of 18 fairway's with my K15 driver, amazing though I am not a big hitter, about 200-210 yards. You are right about the G20 irons high ball flight and hitting greens. My ball used to bounce and run right across the green into the backside green rough, now my ball plops right on the green with no run! I havent noticed any backspin yet, need to figure out how to do that if I want the crowd to cheer:laughing:

Back