PING Glide Wedges Review

Now that these have been out for awhile, any more comments? Sometimes wedges go in and out of a bag quickly so I am wondering why you kept them or why they are gone. Thanks.

I just traded mine in for PM grind wedges. Had the ES sole. Full shots the ball just seemed to go straight up and nowhere.

Ordered a 54 WS and 58 SS at a demo day today after multiple trials. From best to worst, I liked the Glide, 588 RTX 2.0 CB, SM6, and MD3. But it was so close that after hitting a 58-08 C grind MD3 fourth, I actually went inside to order two. That's when I found out I couldn't get a 54 degree C grind, and the S and W alternatives were just not working for me. The 588s were easiest to hit on full shots - stupid, point-and-shoot easy. The Vokeys felt the best and gave good results on full shots, but were tough for me to do anything consistent on partial shots. The Glides felt nearly as good as the Vokeys, were nearly as forgiving as the 588s, and obeyed me better than any other wedge I tried on shorter shots. Any of them are far better than my mid 90s 588 56 degree, and they are all good clubs. Like pizza, it comes down to personal preference and the Glides checked all the boxes for me. Can't wait to get them on the course.

Picked up my 54 WS and 58 SS wedges today. Got home and opened the box to find Ping matched the configuration of my recent G iron order, including the 5L Gold (midsize) grips on the irons, instead of the Dyla-Wedge Gold grips I had requested. Ping Customer Service offered to RA the clubs or send grips to my retailer as long as I worked through them. I called Northway 8 Golf Center in Clifton Park, NY and they told me they would order the right grips. Ten minutes later, he called back to tell me he had found two White Dyla-Wedge grips and that he would install them and build them up for me. I felt like my two wrong grips had become their most important task. We went over all of those details when we placed the order, so I'm thinking there is something vague or missing in the ordering process for Ping. I could be wrong, but it's probably worth triple-checking if you have other Ping clubs and are ordering Glides.

Picked up my 54 WS and 58 SS wedges today. Got home and opened the box to find Ping matched the configuration of my recent G iron order, including the 5L Gold (midsize) grips on the irons, instead of the Dyla-Wedge Gold grips I had requested. Ping Customer Service offered to RA the clubs or send grips to my retailer as long as I worked through them. I called Northway 8 Golf Center in Clifton Park, NY and they told me they would order the right grips. Ten minutes later, he called back to tell me he had found two White Dyla-Wedge grips and that he would install them and build them up for me. I felt like my two wrong grips had become their most important task. We went over all of those details when we placed the order, so I'm thinking there is something vague or missing in the ordering process for Ping. I could be wrong, but it's probably worth triple-checking if you have other Ping clubs and are ordering Glides.

Did you have them match the serials to your iron setup? I've done that in the past with PING and they usually match everything up.

I'm thinking of putting in an order for these, as there's something about PING irons I'm just a huge fan of, and that feel extends to the wedges. Need to figure out the grind and lofts. Will be matching these up with the G irons as well.

Did you have them match the serials to your iron setup? I've done that in the past with PING and they usually match everything up.

I'm thinking of putting in an order for these, as there's something about PING irons I'm just a huge fan of, and that feel extends to the wedges. Need to figure out the grind and lofts. Will be matching these up with the G irons as well.

When I placed the order, the sales guy (who runs the place) told me Ping would match the serial numbers. The wedges have a different serial number, but Ping matched the length, grip size, lie, shaft, and grip of the G irons. I sent an e-mail to Ping asking how the wrong grips wound up on my clubs and whether this pointed out an opportunity to tighten up their ordering process. If you're going to go with anything different from your G irons setup, I'd suggest being very specific about what you want. If it will help, I'll summarize here any reply I get from them.

I wonder whether they match the serial numbers only for same models? In other words, had I bought G wedges, they would have matched the serials?

If this is the biggest problem I'm gonna have with these clubs, I will be very happy, indeed.

I've gotta say, as I get more time in with the irons, I agree with you more and more about the feel. I'm grinning more on the course. Not enough, but more.

I was surprised at the Demo Day as to how much of a difference grinds made. It's probably telling that of the SM6, MD3, 588 2.0 RTX CB, and the Glides, the best overall for me were the two with the simplest grind selections - The Ping and the Cleveland. They were more versatile than the others, but the Ping was a little better and felt more comfortable. Everyone is different, but I couldn't fault anyone for choosing any one of those four wedges.

Spoke with Ping Customer Service. They called me to reply to my e-mail. They said they would match serial numbers if everything had been purchased at the same time. They had no answer as to why the wrong grips were installed. When I took the wedges to the golf center to have them regripped, he showed me that the two wedges had one gold (midize) and one built-up white (regular) grip. Interesting.

Back