The "Forged" just means they do not have to place a HUGE elastomer insert on the back to make it feel soft. Might feel a little CRISP but that's not bad either. Maybe they will use the aluminum as in the i59 and Foam to soften it in a bigger package.
I was told the aluminium wasn't going to be continued going forward, but who the heck knows with them.

I was told the aluminium wasn't going to be continued going forward, but who the heck knows with them.

Probably too expensive. Read their story where they spent a year developing the aluminum to work in that body. You'd think they'd want to expand on that R&D. I'd expect more than a simple CB ... maybe it will be something like Mizuno - CB, thin face, it could stand a slight size reduction.

So to keep spin and launch down a bit, I took the i59s, MMT 85 shafts and Lamkin Grips, and drove 40 minutes to Artisan for a rebuild. I gave them the original specs and said "Do whatever you do with these and make them work."

Jamie looked at them and then went to a bin and returned with a club. He said,"Compare the Ping blade length with this club. I said, They look almost the same ..." But he said, "the i59 is shorter. The other club is what Tiger used." After gulping, I said, "I don't know what Ping did but it must be a miracle if I can hit them decently." He explained that tour players don't like the blade too short because they tend to close the toe too quickly. I looked down again, the i59 was only slightly shorter and who knows what engineering Ping has done - toe weights, more grooves, i.e. iron design has changed. I just said, "I hit them straight and can fade or draw a little if I want. We talked about the Ping heads being fairly light and I said, I know very little, you guys know a lot, do your thing. If you want lead tape on these clubs, put lead tape on them to make them a hammer.:)

Will update when I pick them up next week.;)

Last edited:
Ping i59 Re-Shaft Update: Chasing Irons.

I realize these irons are not that popular - expensive and small but surprisingly easy to hit well - a little short in distance as compared to other OEM player irons - but strengthen the loft, install shafts that work best for you, and with the good groove tech and forged, one might have something special. Worth the expense and trouble? It's golf. Of course it is (we will see).

Left the Ping i59s at Artisan last week. Irons were measured, lofts were weak as ordered by at least a degree except for the 5i; lie angles were off in about 4 of them from .5 to 1 degree. They came in at primarily D1 (stock) in the 780ES. Jamie adjusted the lofts and lies to what I wanted - 1 degree stronger in loft, and stock lies.

After he told me the specs, headweights, and approximate build swingweight -- Jamie tells me we'd probably be going from D1 in 780ES shaft to D5 in MMT85. I thought it might be D4.

My Honma TW-X irons in MMT85 were mostly D3-D4.5. I was not that concerned because those were very stable irons and for my hc, I was hitting my targets better than previous irons.

I said, build an 8i and hit it. Tell me what happens at D5 and we'll go from there - he hit it, had a few other guys hit it, and they all liked it - I said the flight was too high in the 780ES - what is it now? He said it was a nice medium flight and stable and that most Pings feel too light through the ball- these feel good.

I said, "Sounds good, build out the set."

I will update next week.:)

Ping i59 Re-Shaft Update: Chasing Irons.

I realize these irons are not that popular - expensive and small but surprisingly easy to hit well - a little short in distance as compared to other OEM player irons - but strengthen the loft, install shafts that work best for you, and with the good groove tech and forged, one might have something special. Worth the expense and trouble? It's golf. Of course it is (we will see).

Left the Ping i59s at Artisan last week. Irons were measured, lofts were weak as ordered by at least a degree except for the 5i; lie angles were off in about 4 of them from .5 to 1 degree. They came in at primarily D1 (stock) in the 780ES. Jamie adjusted the lofts and lies to what I wanted - 1 degree stronger in loft, and stock lies.

After he told me the specs, headweights, and approximate build swingweight -- Jamie tells me we'd probably be going from D1 in 780ES shaft to D5 in MMT85. I thought it might be D4.

My Honma TW-X irons in MMT85 were mostly D3-D4.5. I was not that concerned because those were very stable irons and for my hc, I was hitting my targets better than previous irons.

I said, build an 8i and hit it. Tell me what happens at D5 and we'll go from there - he hit it, had a few other guys hit it, and they all liked it - I said the flight was too high in the 780ES - what is it now? He said it was a nice medium flight and stable and that most Pings feel too light through the ball- these feel good.

I said, "Sounds good, build out the set."

I will update next week.:)
I’m so tempted. Just waiting in the i210 replacement to make a jump. I’ve got money saved for them. (Unless a Cobra iron pops up soon)

So to keep spin and launch down a bit, I took the i59s, MMT 85 shafts and Lamkin Grips, and drove 40 minutes to Artisan for a rebuild. I gave them the original specs and said "Do whatever you do with these and make them work."

Jamie looked at them and then went to a bin and returned with a club. He said,"Compare the Ping blade length with this club. I said, They look almost the same ..." But he said, "the i59 is shorter. The other club is what Tiger used." After gulping, I said, "I don't know what Ping did but it must be a miracle if I can hit them decently." He explained that tour players don't like the blade too short because they tend to close the toe too quickly. I looked down again, the i59 was only slightly shorter and who knows what engineering Ping has done - toe weights, more grooves, i.e. iron design has changed. I just said, "I hit them straight and can fade or draw a little if I want. We talked about the Ping heads being fairly light and I said, I know very little, you guys know a lot, do your thing. If you want lead tape on these clubs, put lead tape on them to make them a hammer.:)

Will update when I pick them up next week.;)
I hate when smart people say stupid things. There are a ton of irons on tour with blades the same or less long than i59. Blanket statements like that make people sound like idiots. I'm also a little confused on the fairly light thing. I've taken 3 sets apart and with their plug weights they've all been over 260g at the 6. That's not heavy, but it's not really light either these days. Couple companies still creep towards 265 on certain ones, but most I come across are closer to 255 than 265. Maybe he meant your heads specifically? Came with only a few grams in the toe maybe?

Anyway, I hope you like the MMT setup. Those MMTs have turned out to be kind of popular here along guys with players irons. Sounds like you really liked them in your TW-X so I'm excited for you to get this build out there.

I hate when smart people say stupid things. There are a ton of irons on tour with blades the same or less long than i59. Blanket statements like that make people sound like idiots. I'm also a little confused on the fairly light thing. I've taken 3 sets apart and with their plug weights they've all been over 260g at the 6. That's not heavy, but it's not really light either these days. Couple companies still creep towards 265 on certain ones, but most I come across are closer to 255 than 265. Maybe he meant your heads specifically? Came with only a few grams in the toe maybe?

Anyway, I hope you like the MMT setup. Those MMTs have turned out to be kind of popular here along guys with players irons. Sounds like you really liked them in your TW-X so I'm excited for you to get this build out there.

In fairness, he was only comparing the i59 to Tiger's blade length. He had not seen an i59 before. I sent him some screen shots of the inside so he knew why the heads had heft with the heel and toe weights. The toe weight was 10g. He measured the 6i head at 269.9g. Remember, they came in with the 85g 780ES at D1.

He built an 8i, it was D5, and I told him to hit it before he built the rest of the set. He texted back and said he liked it. Had a couple of other guys hit it and they enjoyed it. Medium flight, stable, good feel through the ball.

In fairness, he was only comparing the i59 to Tiger's blade length. He had not seen an i59 before. I sent him some screen shots of the inside so he knew why the heads had heft with the heel and toe weights. The toe weight was 10g. He measured the 6i head at 269.9g. Remember, they came in with the 85g 780ES at D1.

He built an 8i, it was D5, and I told him to hit it before he built the rest of the set. He texted back and said he liked it. Had a couple of other guys hit it and they enjoyed it. Medium flight, stable, good feel through the ball.
Yeah that's actually pretty heavy. Sounds good though. Good enough that it's making me want to take a demo set out just to hit these again.

Yeah that's actually pretty heavy. Sounds good though. Good enough that it's making me want to take a demo set out just to hit these again.

I'm going to check with a Ping fitter and see if they have lighter toe weights available... But I was playing D4 with the Honma and they felt good. What's another dollar bill at the end of a stick ...:unsure: I mean, the Honma at that weight were very accurate. My favorite sticks due to the way they performed - the sole was a little thick in the Honma ... the Pings as you know, are not thick.

Hit these again today. Still love them. Was more consistent with these than the 223s but could easily game them both. I'm going to wait just a little longer because I still haven't fallen out of love with my King Tours.

I went to Artisan and picked up the i59/MMT85 Combo. For comparison, the i59 with 780ES 85g shaft was at D1. The i59/MMT85 combo came in at D5.

Took them to the range and not surprisingly, they are more solid through the ball. Felt great. I will see what they do on Trackman on Friday.

I went to Artisan and picked up the i59/MMT85 Combo. For comparison, the i59 with 780ES 85g shaft was at D1. The i59/MMT85 combo came in at D5.

Took them to the range and not surprisingly, they are more solid through the ball. Felt great. I will see what they do on Trackman on Friday.
You’re killing me😂😂

I'm in the process of reshafting my i59's with some MMT 105TX. I did the 7 iron first and it feels good. Doing the rest of the the set this weekend.

I'm in the process of reshafting my i59's with some MMT 105TX. I did the 7 iron first and it feels good. Doing the rest of the the set this weekend.

My i59 heads were a club heavy due to the liteweight of the graphite (85g) and balance point. So my swingweights turned out 1-2 points heavier than expected (D3-4) to D5. At the same time, they give a good kick and feel solid. Good luck!

My i59 heads were a club heavy due to the liteweight of the graphite (85g) and balance point. So my swingweights turned out 1-2 points heavier than expected (D3-4) to D5. At the same time, they give a good kick and feel solid. Good luck!
Yeah, the 7 iron I reshafted came out 1 point higher at D2.

Yeah, the 7 iron I reshafted came out 1 point higher at D2.

I discussed it with the club builder and he said if you had put Recoil 95 in them instead of 780ES the headweight would have been lighter - different balance points. I have another set of irons at D3-4 and they are very accurate. Hoping for the same here.

My biggest complaint with my present set up is the light headweight... can't lead tape copper lol

My biggest complaint with my present set up is the light headweight... can't lead tape copper lol

Well order the i59 like I did and then re-shaft with MMT - crap it will be heavy...:ROFLMAO:

My adventure today also included a portion of time of me dreaming I could game these. I can. They are that easy to hit (for the size of the irons) I struggled with them over turning left but several of the shots landed within 1-2 yards of each other. Consistent miss. It felt really nice. 7 iron with Standard Chrome Soft (they were new and not beaten to death MaxFli) Distance was between 159-162yds on each of the 10 shots. Spin was mid 7500s and Power Spec would be a must. It was by far the best dispersion front to back I have ever experienced. I don't know if it would give me the long term forgiveness I would need/want.

So I just purchased these i59 this week. They arrive tomorrow. I’ll be honest. I’ve never owned a Ping iron before. My driver is Ping however. But everytime I go into my local PGA superstore I see these i59 irons and hit them. For one. They are beautiful and a darn sexy club. But they are also one of the only full irons built you can pickup and hit without having to ask a worker to unlock heads and make you a club. So I stroll by. Pick one up and hit them. And for weeks now I keep thinking. Man I hit those good everytime I leave the store. But I just recently bought Mizuno 225 and had them built to me. My shaft. Even custom ferrules and grips I like. When I looked and they price of the Pings I think. Well I probably don’t really hit them better than mine anyway. Lol

so the other day I took my mizuno 8 iron in the store with me as it was the only club I had in my truck. And I hit about 10-20 good shots with both clubs. My mizuno and the i59. Immediately I thought the pings felt better in my hands. It may have been the swing weight. Website says i59 are D1 and my clubs are D2. So maybe I just like D1 better. Anyway. Other than that almost every single thing about the ping Was better. Higher launch. More backspin spin. Less side spin. Better decent angle. And most importantly a lot more consistent. The best shots vs the best shots pattern wise was similar. But as a whole 10-20 shots the pings Stood out MUCH tighter dispersion. I had my 225 irons weakened but even so they are still 2° stronger than the Pings. Yet even though carry Was longer on the best mizuno shots. It wasn’t by much. Usually only 2-5 yards.

needless to say. That day I went home. Sold my mizuno irons online and turned around and bought some i59. Now I didn’t pay full price. I found a guy on eBay who had only used them 1 round and I got them for $875 (5-PW). Then had to buy the same project x LS shaft that was in the demo so I could make that exact same club. And again found someone online selling them as pulled irons out of brand new clubs. And paid $190. So all in all I’m in them for less than $1100 and I sold my Mizunos for the exact same price. $875 and when the i59s come. I’ll pull the modus 130 shafts that are in them and sell them. So hopefully at the end of the day it’ll be pretty close to an even swap. Cost wise.

here are 2 pics from that day comparing the irons. The photo with the longer carry was my 225. The other is the i59

Attachments

• 652AF5B9-58D2-4A66-A2AC-6426D1434B56.jpeg
    652AF5B9-58D2-4A66-A2AC-6426D1434B56.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3
  • D7678105-5ADE-448A-BD11-E0DF886393F8.jpeg
    D7678105-5ADE-448A-BD11-E0DF886393F8.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 3
So I just purchased these i59 this week. They arrive tomorrow. I’ll be honest. I’ve never owned a Ping iron before. My driver is Ping however. But everytime I go into my local PGA superstore I see these i59 irons and hit them. For one. They are beautiful and a darn sexy club. But they are also one of the only full irons built you can pickup and hit without having to ask a worker to unlock heads and make you a club. So I stroll by. Pick one up and hit them. And for weeks now I keep thinking. Man I hit those good everytime I leave the store. But I just recently bought Mizuno 225 and had them built to me. My shaft. Even custom ferrules and grips I like. When I looked and they price of the Pings I think. Well I probably don’t really hit them better than mine anyway. Lol

so the other day I took my mizuno 8 iron in the store with me as it was the only club I had in my truck. And I hit about 10-20 good shots with both clubs. My mizuno and the i59. Immediately I thought the pings felt better in my hands. It may have been the swing weight. Website says i59 are D1 and my clubs are D2. So maybe I just like D1 better. Anyway. Other than that almost every single thing about the ping Was better. Higher launch. More backspin spin. Less side spin. Better decent angle. And most importantly a lot more consistent. The best shots vs the best shots pattern wise was similar. But as a whole 10-20 shots the pings Stood out MUCH tighter dispersion. I had my 225 irons weakened but even so they are still 2° stronger than the Pings. Yet even though carry Was longer on the best mizuno shots. It wasn’t by much. Usually only 2-5 yards.

needless to say. That day I went home. Sold my mizuno irons online and turned around and bought some i59. Now I didn’t pay full price. I found a guy on eBay who had only used them 1 round and I got them for $875 (5-PW). Then had to buy the same project x LS shaft that was in the demo so I could make that exact same club. And again found someone online selling them as pulled irons out of brand new clubs. And paid $190. So all in all I’m in them for less than $1100 and I sold my Mizunos for the exact same price. $875 and when the i59s come. I’ll pull the modus 130 shafts that are in them and sell them. So hopefully at the end of the day it’ll be pretty close to an even swap. Cost wise.

here are 2 pics from that day comparing the irons. The photo with the longer carry was my 225. The other is the i59

I have the 223/225 because my son hit my Ping i59's and said "These are mine." He needed the irons. I don't. I like the i59 a lot. They are very consistent, as you noted. I like them heavier in the head. They are point and shoot for me. I've had some issues with the Mizuno's not being point and shoot in my first two rounds. The long-med irons sometimes tend to head to the right when I'm aiming to the left. So when I go see my instructor I've got to find the issue. But there is a huge difference in feel. Pings are more direct and crisp, the Mizuno's soft and muted. I like both feels.

Good luck. You have great irons.

Hit these again this afternoon and they felt like coming home from a long trip and sleeping in my own bed. Not sure I will go this way. Likely looking for i525s. Just deciding shafts. Strong choice.

Back