Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Sometimes releases are quite the surprise, other times, they’re the worst kept secret ever. File this one somewhere in between as the rumblings about PING’s newest irons has been ramping up for months now, including some rather interesting pricing discussion. 

But let’s table that for now, shall we? Instead, its time to officially get our first looks at the new PING i59 irons

PING-i59-Irons-1.png

A Core Story – PING i59 Irons

I’ll be honest, a new iSeries iron from PING is exciting to me. As someone who cut their teeth entering this game with the i20’s, any time something new drops with the moniker on it, my ears perk up. This time though, it’s been an interesting one to get, and keep, a pulse on. We have known these were coming for...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job, @Jman. The forged head/stainless steel face is curious and makes me want to test their feel/sound against fully forged irons. The tech aspect re: smaller head with larger-head MOI really gets my attention. And, they look good, too.

ping with the supa hot fire

these look like ping took the nike vapor pros and hollowed them out

• Staff
Nice job, @Jman. The forged head/stainless steel face is curious and makes me want to test their feel/sound against fully forged irons. The tech aspect re: smaller head with larger-head MOI really gets my attention. And, they look good, too.
Thank you!

The aluminum thing has me curious on the feel, it’s a new direction that I never expected from PING.

But, I also never expected that super high price.

I have only hit a handful of shots with them, but my take is that those that like the feel and sound of Ping irons, are going to continue to like these quite a bit. If that feel isn't your thing, I don't think that changes. Not the best descriptive, as it sounds negative and isn't meant to be at all. The aluminum part didn't appear to alter it much, at least in the tech studio, but we will have more coming soon.

WOW... Ive never played or even tried a Ping iron before but these may be the first. Love everything read here

1.jpg

I have only hit a handful of shots with them, but my take is that those that like the feel and sound of Ping irons, are going to continue to like these quite a bit. If that feel isn't your thing, I don't think that changes. Not the best descriptive, as it sounds negative and isn't meant to be at all. The aluminum part didn't appear to alter it much, at least in the tech studio, but we will have more coming soon.
I rarely even look at a Ping iron on the display wall or in a friend’s bag. They’ve just never appealed to me. But it does sound like they’re trying to bridge that gap with forged iron players.

I played the S59 (I think it was) and I also played the Isi? But these, look spectacular. I really like the design, I wonder about the alumicore - it sure sounds very interesting - to say the least. Great article James - look forward to any subsequent comments you may have on these. The price though - oof, way out of my comfort zone.

I played the S59 (I think it was) and I also played the Isi? But these, look spectacular. I really like the design, I wonder about the alumicore - it sure sounds very interesting - to say the least. Great article James - look forward to any subsequent comments you may have on these. The price though - oof, way out of my comfort zone.
2K on a set of PING irons is harsh (or nuts) to say the least, and I’m a long time PING apologist.

Great review James! These look and sound amazing. But that price tag puts them out of reach for me.

I hope these last 2 products with new pricing isn’t a precursor to a trend in new equipment pricing

I've been waiting for a new i series iron. I like that they say it's a more compact head but pushed the moi to that of the i210. I hope to get some swings in with them in the future. But there is definitely that elephant in the room that makes me know that these won't be for me.

2K on a set of PING irons is harsh (or nuts) to say the least, and I’m a long time PING apologist.

I guess that explains the golf bag - which I really like (by the way). I am just like some others, can't use a bag that does not contain at least a club or two from that brand!

I really like the idea that these clubs are similar to the more game improvement in MOI - if that's true it could certainly be a game changer - clubs that both look and perform really well and are not enormous.

Interesting technology story. But nothing else really excites me. Add in the 2k price tag, and that kills it.

Reading about the aluminum made me wonder if these sound like an aluminum baseball bat...

I like ping, but there is no way I could get past the price.

Nice intro JMan! Look and sound great. Price is a bit rough…..PinXG.

I see Golf Galaxy is already accepting preorders.

Reading about the aluminum made me wonder if these sound like an aluminum baseball bat...

I like ping, but there is no way I could get past the price.

Not at all, from what I’ve read thus far. Apparently they feel pretty good, like a fairly solid forged iron.

Nice intro JMan! Look and sound great. Price is a bit rough…..PinXG.

I see Golf Galaxy is already accepting preorders.

I believe everybody will have preorders available beginning today with the in store set just a week or so out.
Budget Golf should have theirs up shortly.

$265 per club for graphite? I'm surprised it's a smaller head.

What's the notch in the back of the hosel?

$265 per club for graphite? I'm surprised it's a smaller head.

What's the notch in the back of the hosel?
It’s on all PING irons, it’s for bending. Typically it’s on their cast irons for that, so to see it here might just be a continuity thing.

Most Pings have that notch.

Still gaming my G25s. Love them. Love the graphite gray color too.

Those look nice but WOW is that price steep. I guess it makes sense though because I remember the Blueprints being well above average market price for comparable models when they were released.

Those look nice but WOW is that price steep. I guess it makes sense though because I remember the Blueprints being well above average market price for comparable models when they were released.

I forget about the Blueprint irons sometimes. Good catch on the pricing.
Blueprint 3-PW came in at $1700
IBlades 3-PW came in at $1200
i210 3-PW came in at $1000

So these are not that far out of line from those Blueprints, about similar in increase to the latest Super Hybrid going from $319 to $399.

"Retro Spec" and "feelings hurt by stronger lofts" - my first laugh of the morning. Classic. Thx. Appreciate the excellent write-up. Alumi-Core piques my interest as to feel. The heel-to-toe pic doesn't thrill me for some reason. But if they are as forgiving and feel as soft as the i210 with more ballspeed without a huge feel insert in the back, they have a winner. Would like to see it in person.

Last edited:
Back