Ping price raise?

Jamstar35

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
I was in Golf Galaxy getting a couple clubs regripped, and one of the guys was saying that it was a good thing I already had my G410 3w because beginning on the 9th, Ping is raising their prices on everything new by $50. I even asked if that included the G410 line as well and he said yes. He said it had to do with low inventory, which didnt make much sense to me, but what do I know. 🤷‍♂️

This very odd to do in the middle of a release cycle, and the inventory reason seems suspicious…

I seem to recall a thread about this kind of thing in the not too distant past. 😆

I used to be a big Ping fan, but they’ve really lost me over the past year or two. And things like this don’t make it any better.

(Edited to link to said previous thread)

Last edited:
One thing I found out today. The price hike is a serious screw you to the middle man retailer.

the reason is, they do not get invoiced for products until this ship. So say a set of irons was ordered and paid for at the lower price but ships from the manufacturer after the the price adjustment they are invoiced from ping at the higher price. So their margin gets hit because of pings issues.. not cool.

I seem to recall a thread about this kind of thing in the not too distant past. 😆

I used to be a big Ping fan, but they’ve really lost me over the past year or two. And things like this don’t make it any better.

(Edited to link to said previous thread)
After working in golf retail, I’ve never been a fan of Ping.

Their price step down strategy for older releases has always been baffling.
Their reluctance to use Carbon Fiber in the crown of their drivers has made them feel dated & this latest price increase mid cycle has made them seem disingenuous…

Pings trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased a new G425 5 wood the other day from 2nd swi g. No mention of a price increase. I mentioned I may be back for a 3 wood.
This would really be sticking g it to the consumer.
I am a Ping guy, and I would still play Ping…. But it would sour me

In cases you haven't noticed, the prices of everything in the world is going up right now. With the possible exception of PXG golf clubs.:unsure:

I guess a lot of people posting here aren't old enough to remember the Bad Old Days in the 1970's. Back then we all just took for granted that the price of something next year was going to be a lot higher than the price of the exact same thing today.

Supply and demand. Makes sense to me. If they truly have low inventory then it seems to be selling. Why not increase the bottom line if you can and there are still enough folks to buy it? You may have had 100 buyers at the lower price and only 60 buyers at the higher price. But if you only have 50 units then you are just fine.

If you are salty about it be one of the 40 people that dropped out of their market.

I got an email from a grass pro shop that mentioned the 9/7 Ping Price increase. If they have material price increases, which I’m sure they do, price increase make sense to me.

I was in Golf Galaxy getting a couple clubs regripped, and one of the guys was saying that it was a good thing I already had my G410 3w because beginning on the 9th, Ping is raising their prices on everything new by $50. I even asked if that included the G410 line as well and he said yes. He said it had to do with low inventory, which didnt make much sense to me, but what do I know. 🤷‍♂️
I was in a small pro/fitting shop the other day and one of the owners told me the exact same thing. He said he would have to raise the prices on his existing Ping inventory by 50 bucks a club or lose money when he re0rdered. Did not make him happy. He has a good across brands inventory and not a super large Ping inventory, but it seems the Ping stock he does have might gather dust this time around if he doesn't figure a path out of this.

After talking with him, my guess is he is thinking to sell off what Ping items he has at the old price and call it a day on Ping and push some of his other brand stock. He did not state that, just a guess on my part. Might not be a great decision on Ping's part, but who knows.

The price of steel has gone through the roof over the last 2 years (doubled). This increase is not surprising. Until we have more supply to bring down prices, I suspect price increases will continue.

Last edited:
It looks like Ping is (was?) currently $50 less than Titleist and $30 behind Callaway and Taylormade. I’m not sure that moves the needle much at the end of the day.

If it does go buy Cobra 😉

Recently bought a left over G410+, looks like a little better deal but still too much. Bright side is that I do like it.

I just purchased a new G425 5 wood the other day from 2nd swi g. No mention of a price increase. I mentioned I may be back for a 3 wood.
This would really be sticking g it to the consumer.
I am a Ping guy, and I would still play Ping…. But it would sour me
It’s absolutely real and happening. Just crazy to me.

One thing I found out today. The price hike is a serious screw you to the middle man retailer.

the reason is, they do not get invoiced for products until this ship. So say a set of irons was ordered and paid for at the lower price but ships from the manufacturer after the the price adjustment they are invoiced from ping at the higher price. So their margin gets hit because of pings issues.. not cool.
Sadly this is how it works in many industries. I sell building supplies and a huge chunk of our materials are the same way. Shingles that a customer ordered in January and didn't deliver to them until July had probably 3, maybe 4 price increases. I absolutely hate it.

I hate that golf is going this way. Especially in the case of the G410, a model that has been out for years. That's absolutely crazy in my mind.

Its everywhere. Try buying anything at the price you paid last year. Groceries/gas have gone up at a rate far more than Ping clubs.

That being said, glad I recently bought 425 Driver/3W/4H.

Materials/costs aside, we won't see anything but increases as long as demand outstrips supply.

I was told the same about a popular push cart brand yesterday.

High demand + low supply + increasing raw material costs = Price Increases

And then there’s freight. A container from Asia that used to be $4-5k is now $20-25k.

Your $400 today is simply worth less than $400 would have been worth a year ago.

I guess at least one and maybe two entire generations have come along without having experienced the grinding reality of double-digit inflation.

This is 100% true. Ping is raising prices 10% across the board. They make good products but I can get some amazing equipment for much less than their prices.

I was looking for something different than what I have. Not changing, just something to play along as a fun set. The Ping G425 irons were at the top of the list. We had to wait several months after the rest of the world got them and now the price hike. I'll move along. I'm sure many other companies can produce the same quality without the BS.

I'm interested to see if any other brands follow this and do the same.

My biggest question if I had the chance to sit face to face with them would be why they raised the price of a product that has been out for quite a while to begin with? If they made say, 100,000 units that began shipping at original release date, why they decided to raise the sale price of the remaining inventory? Or did they perform better than they originally estimated and on now their second batch, these prices are what are going up due to the rising costs?

Back