Play A Different Ball For Specific Holes?

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is kind of a funny article as they (Golf Magazine) admit they have recently been promoting the idea of sticking with one ball all the time, but this article proposes playing with 3-5 different balls per round and switching between holes to get specific performance traits from the different balls. What day you THP? Would you switch balls from hole to hole to maximize your performance?

I have occasionally use an ‘alternate ball’ I’ve found that day for the second shot on this par 5 with a forced carry over water if I’m trying to go in two.
1688725916362.png

I’ve also used a few different balls if I’m testing them out. Most recently it’s been PV1x vs CSX vs TP5.

But never really for specific holes and specific situations that those holes present.

Man, I got enough to worry about without trying to guess which swing is showing up for a different ball on different shots :LOL:

I really don't need to be thinking "what ball do I use here", there's enough for my pea brain to contend with as it is!

I got poo-pood on this site when I said I change ball depending upon green softeness, and change ball hole by hole based upon wind direction. Low spin into the wind to mitigate ballooning. High spin down wind for more carry.

Last edited:
I’d expect nothing more from Golf.com

IMO, it’s silly, really silly.

Why don't we just bend the rules some more! I know we are not on tour, but do we not take enough liberties with this game already! Pick a ball, play it for the whole round. I thought that was the idea! Get to know the ball we have chosen, by playing it every round. I for one, am NOT playing 3-5 different ball types during my round! I have trouble with my game as it is, let alone try to keep track of using a different ball on certain holes.. Lets keep it simple-pick one!!

Yeah no thanks. I have the ball that I like and know how it performs on specific shots, that's what I'm sticking with.

I won't even use a "water ball" on holes where hazards come into play. Doing that feels like you're mentally preparing for the worst, and that's what usually happens in that case. Same ball on every hole, no matter the situation.

Hmm...are you giving yourself a penalty for changing balls?

Just as an example that I might consider. I am currently playing the ProV1X but I have pretty extensive experience with a Titleist AVX also so I know what it’s going to do. On a typical windy day on the back 9 of my home course 8 of the holes just alternate into and with the wind. Playing an AVX into the wind and a ProV1X with the wind would offer some noticable distance relief on the holes into the wind.

Hmm...are you giving yourself a penalty for changing balls?
I don’t think so . The PGA Championship offered this as a local option this year. Article says Phil played with different balls at Oak Hill. You would be in a USGA sanctioned event.

Half the people don't know what ball performs what way anyway & which ball performs best for them. So why confuse the situation that much more? I'd suspect most haven't been fitted for the ball their using, so they could be using the wrong ball to begin with 🤯

You still gotta putt the thing. About the only time I’ll use something different is a scramble when odds are pretty good that a gorilla swing is going to get lost. :LOL:

Only in a charity scramble where there's a good chance I'm pumping a handful of those into another county off the tee.

Half the people don't know what ball performs what way anyway & which ball performs best for them. So why confuse the situation that much more? I'd suspect most haven't been fitted for the ball their using, so they could be using the wrong ball to begin with 🤯
Being fitted to a ball only fits you to the conditions you were fit in. I want less spin on softer greens, more spin on firmer greens. Less spin into the wind, more spin down wind. Thinking one ball you are fit to is the best choice for all conditions seems to me to be a bit of a misunderstanding of ball dynamics.

Marty Jertson with Ping does this where legal. Played his way into the PGA Championship this way. Says amateurs could easily game a downwind and into wind ball. Also some balls go further then others, so instead of an in between yardage you can make it a full swing shot with ball change.

I’m of the opinion that removing variables is better than adding them. Then again, I have a lot of opinions.

Being fitted to a ball only fits you to the conditions you were fit in. I want less spin on softer greens, more spin on firmer greens. Less spin into the wind, more spin down wind. Thinking one ball you are fit to is the best choice for all conditions seems to me to be a bit of a misunderstanding of ball dynamics.
Under this assumption, we should all switch to different ball every hole, for every shot. :eek: which I'm sure is against the rules of golf

I really don't need to be thinking "what ball do I use here", there's enough for my pea brain to contend with as it is!

I'm with you. Too much to figure out. :LOL:

No. I can't understand why that makes any sense. You never know what kind of shots you might have to hit if things don't go according to plan, so pick a ball that gives you the best balance across characteristics.

I often do - crappier balls for longer carries over water.

Reactions: Ooo
Back