Play faster, shoot lower scores?

waazzupppp

Reaction score
Handicap
I've noticed something a bit strange about my game lately. When I go out and play on a non-busy day at my local course, I'll shoot upper 60s and finish 18 holes in 3 to 3 1/2 hours. When the pace of play slows and rounds drag closer to 5+ hours, my scores shoot upwards quickly and I can find myself shooting 10 shots worse than that.

Anyone else have this happen or have any ideas on how to keep "engaged" during slower rounds. My initial thoughts would be to develop a "reset" in my preshot routine or maybe a few more practice swings before pulling the trigger?

Anyone have some ideas?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

It's been years since I shot in the 60's. Last time I did it, I probably played in about 2 hours. Full disclosure, I'm only talking about 9 holes!

I'm with you though. I think I play better when I'm unimpeded. I drive better when there are no stupid idiots in the fast lane blocking traffic, too, but somethings just can't be avoided.

I think the pre-shot routine is the key. Good luck.

I'm with you. If you discover the secret, let me know. :act-up: I just score so much better when I'm in a nice rhythm.

Definitely play better when able to keep up a steady pace. Having to wait kills my rythym. Had to play at noon today instead of my normal 2 due to a call I had to get on at 4. Won't make that mistake again on a Wednesday. Apparently a lot of elderly people that don't let people play start between 10 and 12 on Wednesday. Very frustrating.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I play better when I don't have to wait on every shot or if the waiting is a consistently small amount, this doesn't necessarily mean a super fast round though as I play to enjoy the game and have a laugh with friends, not run around in 3 hours

Pace isn't so much the issue for me, it is more about a consistent rhythm

If I know the pace is slow I will slow down my walk between shots so that I am not stood around waiting for too long when I get to my ball
I find there is nothing worse than having a nice pace for a few holes, then having to wait on a bunch of shots, then getting a rhythm going again only to have that cycle repeat over and over

While the concept of shooting in the 60s is a foreign concept to me I totally agree about the impact of pace. Waiting on tee boxes is definitely something that seems to have detrimental effects and waiting on approach shots is even worse. I try to play in the first few tee times of the day because most often these groups want to play quick anyway, but this can also backfire as if you are in the second group and first group is slow, it is even more frustrating than usual! The other drawback is that you pretty much never get to play a dry course.

Faster the pace, better I play.

My 69 this summer was played in 1:49.

Just something about pace that’s good for me. When it’s slow, I’d better be with friends, or I’ll go crazy. Haha

Everyone has shot in the 60s...some do it at the end of 18, some do it earlier..

Absolutely is the case for me too. When I can move from shot to shot and stay engaged and mentally focused I score better.

At some point in a round, I need to leave or just enjoy time with friends because I have checked out. Typically when we are 30 off pace lol

Probably because you are bothered by slower pace or slow play. I play much better slower. I play worse if I feel rushed.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Hard to play better when you cannot establish a rythem due to slow pace.

Hard to find a happy medium IMO. I like to play fast but not some of these 2- 2 1/2 hour 18 hole rounds that some have said. I like a nice 3 3-1/2 hour pace for 18. It is hard to stay engaged if pace is slower than that. I try to take in the scenery around me if that slow.

It definitely kills a round, slow play.

Last Sunday we had a foursome and were behind these 4 young kids and from the first tee we knew it was going to be a slow day since it was foggy and Sunday morning SuperBowl tee time seems to be popular. On the 6th hole we were on the tee box for 5 minutes as these guys were running all over the green and 50 yards away from the green hitting their shots as the group in front of them was getting off the green at 7!

It's just annoying trying to stay loose and all. The group behind us told the Ranger about the group in front of us and at the turn those kids went to get food and we just skipped past them. Thankfully we did or that back 9 also would've been at snails pace.

I play much better when ripping around the golf course.

Less time to think about the shot. Just hit it and roll with the punches.

I definately think there is something to rhythm as for playing better. But how much of the playing worse in a slower round really self inflicted? The frustrations of any pace slower than our comfortable rhythm can mentally get to us. I think its a matter of adjusting our internal clocks and mindset. Not easily done because we (most) dont really like to play any slower than we see fit for ourselves but it doesnt have to affect our swing tempo which is ultimately the means to better ball striking.

If a good player can posses good swing tempo at different club head speeds in order to play the given shot, then they should also be able to find swing tempo whether we play the round faster or slower. So many people and very many great players here talk of how much worse they play when pace doesnt suit them. I think part of being good is to be able to suit yourself to the pace and not to count on the pace to suit you. many here are close to good enough or perhaps were or want to be a serious top amateur and even some smaller percentage would like to turn pro one day. What is going to happen when one gets to those levels and find the pace doesnt suit you? You'll probably never reach that point if you have to rely on pace suiting your game. Just look how long tour pros take. i mean 2somes rounds take forever. People loose ther rhythm and play more poorly just by the pace simply taking longer than whats comfortable. How would they ever preform if as a pro when a feild of 2somes takes 5 hrs?

At my age I need to sit a minute and take a load off once in a while. My push cart has a seat. My hips get to aching sometimes. So I don't mind a little slow play. But only up to a point. 3 and a half hours to 4 hours for 18 holes is just right. A few weeks ago there were a couple of groups who were moving at a snails pace and the round lasted almost 6 hours. I thought the extra time to sit would help but it was worse. I guess just being out there longer wore me out. One thing I find weird though, I usually start hurting by the 7th or 8th hole a bit. But when I get to 17 I start feeling a little better. Like I'm getting a second wind. I rarely do worse than bogey on the final two holes.

You and I are worlds apart in ability, you obviously being much better, but yes, I notice in quicker rounds i shoot better. I believe it is not the pace of the round, but rather when I just walk up, take my line and swing, the results are improved, because I am not in my head before every shot.

If only we had our own course or they would spread tee times out an hour apart...

... I guess we'll have to keep shooting bad scores as long as courses have to make money & stuff.

Couldn't agree more. I always feel like I get out of sync when it's a really slow round, plus just getting frustrated. Also, I think a small part of it (could be) that when a round is slow, you overthink shots more. While it's a quicker round, you make your shot selection and roll with it, which is probably the right choice more times than not. I know I'll do that in a slow round - over-analyze a shot or club selection every now and then.

yes and no. I have shot some great scores at my preferred pace...but I have also shot a few terrible ones. I have shot some awful scores at slow pace...but also a few good ones.

In my head, I blame the bad scores on the pace but in reality if I were to actually track it instead of just going off memory...I likely am about the same golfer regardless of pace. I just enjoy the game much more at the quicker pace and thus the memories of bad rounds that were slow likely get a higher ranking in the old noggin than the fast ones when it comes to blaming them.

I’m the same way. I get in a rhythm and shot much better at faster paces. I think part of that is why most people are better on the range than on the course.

Definitely play better when able to keep up a steady pace. Having to wait kills my rhythm.
Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

These two things especially. Once I get a steady pace, good shots come in droves. I've always shot my best rounds at a fast pace.

I have always shot my best when playing as a twosome and no one else around. Takes about 3 hours in a cart, all rhythm and down the middle. Foursomes with slow groups ahead and I lose my rhythm and hit 'em all over the place. A little frustration throws my game off kilter.

Faster the pace, better I play.

My 69 this summer was played in 1:49.

Just something about pace that’s good for me. When it’s slow, I’d better be with friends, or I’ll go crazy. Haha

Is that riding or walking?

Back