rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Outlined the hole for easier viewing.
Its only 422 from the middle (white tees)
if playing blue tees you can add 60 yrds on this hole to all distances I give you

422 (from whites) is certainly short for a par5, (and imo perhaps too short) but that said its not always about distance and it does fwiw hold some good integrity for being a 3 shot hole imo.

So anyway its a 5 and here is the info for what we have to deal with.

Hitting through a fairly narrow shoot here.
3 hills (or inverted grass bunkers) in the middle of the hole, they are not small but are good size fairly steep hills and thick rough on them. Not a place you want to be. Id rather be in a fairway bunker to be honest.lol. So fwiw they are in a sense very hazard like. (its what makes the integrity part of this short hole imo)

-The first white line (layup prior to these hils) is 210 from white tees
-Second line is the carry for left side hill and at 236 from whites
-3rd line is 265 carry from whites.

The 210 layup line (from white tee) leaves of course about 210 to the green

So this is pretty much a 3 shot hole for most amateurs even from the whites imo if they layup. The key here is a well placed tee shot imo. There is just not much room for error nor for being errant of course and certainly must get out of the shoot. Going right is dangerous of course and you can see the rest.
Carrying that left bunker (if you are capable) needs to be done fairly precisely here. Too much left of fairway and you got rough with hill up into the left tree/s. A bit too much to the right and you risk landing on the last hazard hill.

So although rather short for a p5 (which I don't normally like for a 5) its a pretty good hole. Can be fun and at least makes you have to think and whatever you decide to do off the tee, it needs to be well executed.

For me, I chose to layup to 200. Which fwiw I hit a layup one day that went a bit too good and ended up on that left hill buried..lol
But give me a good190 layup shot from the tee with a good look for a comfortable iron second shot and then hopefuly up/down after that for a fair chance at bird and certainly a great chance at par.

Whats your plan?

par%205_zpsmm1rrdyb.jpg

I'm taking a chance, aiming at the hills and trying to get over or in betwen them. worst case, I'm punching out and still have a shot at a GiR

Front the Whites....I'm hitting my driver off the tee. I can carry the second line with ease so that's my line off the tee. If I catch it good and I push it a little, then I'd carry the third line, too. My average carry distance is right around 265, +/- 10 yards depending on contact. So, if I catch it well, that would leave me with around 150 to the pin, so then I'm pulling my 9 iron and looking for a chance at Eagle or at least a birdie.

From the back tees (+60 yards), then I'm still taking driver and aiming at the center of the first grass hill/white line. That should be right around where my drive should be, maybe a bit longer. So, that would leave me around 200 yards to the green. So, I'll pull my 5 iron if I'm around 210 to 200, and 6 iron if I'm 199 to 190.

If I was swinging it well that day I'd go driver at the last grass bunker with a draw and hopefully clear the 265 if I pushed it. If not I'd go over the 236 carry bunker with my 2Deep.

Driver/Wedge all day. :)

I'm taking a chance, aiming at the hills and trying to get over or in betwen them. worst case, I'm punching out and still have a shot at a GiR

that's an interesting take, I can buy that. I may not get that done but I buy it :)

Let the big dog eat and come what may.

I would approach it with the "Spray and Pray" mindset lol!

Seriously though, I would take my 5 wood and lay up in front of the inverted bunkers, hit my second and try to land within 80 yards of the pin, then attack with my wedge and hope for a good look at birdie.

My game is not to the point where I can reasonably hope to carry those bunkers... yet...

As long as you can keep the driver in play this seems like a low risk, high reward scenario. Rip a good one and have a good chance to get on for an eagle opportunity. Miss a little, end up punching out and still a chance at GIR. Alternatively, you could lay up and go 5W/4I or something similar, but I like my chances of hitting the green from closer in better.

EDIT: Wanted to add that it really depends on the hills as to whether or not this is worth it. If they're super tall grass that golf balls disappear in, that may give me a little pause.

As long as you can keep the driver in play this seems like a low risk, high reward scenario. Rip a good one and have a good chance to get on for an eagle opportunity. Miss a little, end up punching out and still a chance at GIR. Alternatively, you could lay up and go 5W/4I or something similar, but I like my chances of hitting the green from closer in better.

EDIT: Wanted to add that it really depends on the hills as to whether or not this is worth it. If they're super tall grass that golf balls disappear in, that may give me a little pause.
I suppose that just depends on how they maintained them at the time. Ive not seen super heavy lost ball type but certainly rough and certainly not on any level ground and ism probably the worst thing about them.

I can carry the second line easily, so I would hit driver and try to hit a fade from the left side. If I don't fade, then I am in the rough lay up...if I fade too much and catch the other grass bunker, then I lay up from there. If I get lucky, then I have a short shot to the green in two. Looks like a fun hole!

I suppose that just depends on how they maintained them at the time. Ive not seen super heavy lost ball type but certainly rough and certainly not on any level ground and ism probably the worst thing about them.

In that case I'm probably going driver about every time.

i would think i would be playing the blues, and at 270 to get to that first white line i would hit driver there and be a little short. then i would have 270-280 in, and would hit fairway wood as hard as i can, maybe leaving 30-50y. pitch and a putt for birdie, hopefully. doesn't seem to be much to the hole other than picking the right distance off the tee.

Driver off the tee. Hope I end up past the third white line or to the left of it.

Driver aimed over left swale with a draw to find that area just beyond it or in the rough. If I can see the green I will try and draw it in around that large tree... Well, even if I CAN'T see the green I might try and bend it around to get close or on.

I don't see how a course can have a 422 yard par 5. I realize par is a number but that is silly. I aim at the left hill area with driver and if I flush it neither is in play and I have a 9 iron in. Nothing in the world is making me play this as a 3 shot hole. Even 1 box back it is still a smooth driver hybrid.

I don't see how a course can have a 422 yard par 5. I realize par is a number but that is silly..

well, I tend to agree with that a lot and normally don't appreciate holes that don't have much integrity for the par posted..... normally. However there are two things here fwiw. The 422 is from a tee set inwards (or middle tees) for whatever that is worth. And while still short for a 5 imo the hole does have some integrity as a 5. Maybe not a whole lot but if it were a par4 it would be kind of ridiculous hard considering those hazard like mounds and also the distance. Imo its kind of like in between being too difficult to be a fair enough par4 yet not quite difficult enough to be a true par5. In the end I don't think making this a 4 would been the right choice.

The best thing they could have done would been to put the whites on the blue tee box and add another further back for the blues. But honestly most bogey players are going to have great trouble getting on this green in 2 shots (why its not a 4) and probably hope to be on in3. Hence why its a 5 imo. But Im sure the course rating/slope reflects this hole somehow.

I assume probably figure this 4 strokes for a scratch player . Course rated 70.5/129 from whites. I assume this hole was a stroke minus for scratch player. This hoe is #4 HC hole meaning of course the hole offers the 4th hardest challenge for the bogey player vs the scratch palyer. And I sort of agree and is pretty much in sync with things I mentioned. Not exactly an easy hole for the bogey player even as a lessor P5 hole.

Outlined the hole for easier viewing.
Its only 422 from the middle (white tees)
if playing blue tees you can add 60 yrds on this hole to all distances I give you

422 (from whites) is certainly short for a par5, (and imo perhaps too short) but that said its not always about distance and it does fwiw hold some good integrity for being a 3 shot hole imo.

So anyway its a 5 and here is the info for what we have to deal with.

Hitting through a fairly narrow shoot here.
3 hills (or inverted grass bunkers) in the middle of the hole, they are not small but are good size fairly steep hills and thick rough on them. Not a place you want to be. Id rather be in a fairway bunker to be honest.lol. So fwiw they are in a sense very hazard like. (its what makes the integrity part of this short hole imo)

-The first white line (layup prior to these hils) is 210 from white tees
-Second line is the carry for left side hill and at 236 from whites
-3rd line is 265 carry from whites.

The 210 layup line (from white tee) leaves of course about 210 to the green

So this is pretty much a 3 shot hole for most amateurs even from the whites imo if they layup. The key here is a well placed tee shot imo. There is just not much room for error nor for being errant of course and certainly must get out of the shoot. Going right is dangerous of course and you can see the rest.
Carrying that left bunker (if you are capable) needs to be done fairly precisely here. Too much left of fairway and you got rough with hill up into the left tree/s. A bit too much to the right and you risk landing on the last hazard hill.

So although rather short for a p5 (which I don't normally like for a 5) its a pretty good hole. Can be fun and at least makes you have to think and whatever you decide to do off the tee, it needs to be well executed.

For me, I chose to layup to 200. Which fwiw I hit a layup one day that went a bit too good and ended up on that left hill buried..lol
But give me a good190 layup shot from the tee with a good look for a comfortable iron second shot and then hopefuly up/down after that for a fair chance at bird and certainly a great chance at par.

Whats your plan?

par%205_zpsmm1rrdyb.jpg

Looks like it could be a blow up hole for me so I play it safe all the way to maintain par. With the hazards I take the safe 200 yd layup and then use my 5 iron on my 2nd shot which should leave me with about a 70 yd PW onto the green and hopefully 2 putt for par

Driver/wedge :D

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My driver will land in the mess so I'll hit a 7W off the tee and lay up. Then hit a 7W up to near the green, pitch on with a 55W (50 yds), 2 putt and down for par. But let's be honest.

I'll hit my 7W about 190 right where I want it. I'll duff my second shot into the tall grass bunker. My next shot will be with a fat PW that'll get me about 25 yds down the fairway but out of that thing. Then I'll hit my 7W into the greenside bunker on the right. Get out with my 64 wedge. Two putt for a DB.

My typical tee shot is usually going to end up right where those three grass mounds are, could be any of the three. But still I think the potential reward is just too great to worry about that so I'm blasting away with driver right at them. It's just so rare for me to have an iron into a par five for eagle, and if my ball misses those mounds I get that shot here. If I'm in a mound I might have to wedge out but still I'm probably looking at 7 iron worst case into that green in three. Probably more like 9 iron or wedge even after wedging out of a grass mound hazard. The risk is just too small for me to not go after the potential reward.

From the whites, Heavenwood (about 200) and then hit the same club again. It's the club I'm most confident in to begin with so there is little reason to try and get to the 2nd line and still have a mid iron in.

From there I'm pitching and hoping for a birdie look.

This hole sets up well for me. I'd aim at the big tree toward the bend of the fairway and allow my ball to cut. If I hit my desired ball flight and hit it solid it should leave me somewhere about 200 just past the first hill. Then it's 5 or 6 iron

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Most likely scenario: I rip it right, into the adjacent fairway, second shot partially obstructed by the big tree, ends up the left of the green, but not too bad a spot and pin high. Pitch to about 10 feet and then probably manage to 2 putt that for an "easy par"... I enjoy using all of the real estate when I play...

Well, I'd plan on 3-wood, 7-wood, short iron on to the green, and hopefully a 2-putt. Note that I said "plan".

Back