Playing a new course for the first time or as a once off - What do you do

Metroid

Australian Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

For something different my normal weekend group have decided to play another local course for something different this weekend for comp which got me thinking when you visit a new course for the first time, or as a one off for club competition how do you play it?

Normally if I head somewhere else it is for a social round with friends, meaning no 'club' competition so I don't really give it a second thought, but if you are heading somewhere to play that clubs weekly competition do you think differently when playing?

Being stableford that gives me the confidence to think if I wipe a hole it isn't the end of the world, where as if I was playing stroke I'm almost certain I'd be protective of my shots to ensure I minimized as much risk as possible.

Be interested to know your thoughts about how you play, if you play differently by using the numbers to just put it in the safe zones or take the course on.

Cheers, Met.

Mostly google earth scouting, I also write down the green depths. Before my laser I would also measure the distance to hazards on google earth.

Played a new course today and just looked at the hole in front of me and the yardage in the book. Picked what I thought was the best club and let it fly.

I focus on my game, and keeping the ball in front of me. Play shots I am comfortable with and play smart.

If I have a chance I'll take a look with Google Earth. Gives you an idea where there may be hidden trouble, best side of the fairway to be on for your second shot, or where to miss around the green.

Use the scorecard for distances and try to use GPS and laser to find objects as target distance and keep the ball in front of me.

Play for the fairway, and hope for GiRs. Hopefully drain some putts.

Advance scouting? I might peak at overviews on the course website. Would then just rely on gps and rangefinder yardages.

Nothing fancy, just play your game and hopefully shoot a reasonable score!

Honestly I just play whatever shot I brought that day, and try keep it between the trees.

If everything is in front of me I won't put too much thought into it... I've been known to get on google images to see what kind of trouble is present during a round as well.

Guess for me it just depends on the day. I love seeing what's there and what the architect 'wants' you to see.

I play the course as I find it and try to take it all in. I look for a path that requires the least precision. That's about it.

Play a virtual practice round on my golf logic app.

Lately I have been just playing what is in front of me and playing within myself which I don't always do. Seems to be working.

I like to take a look at the course website, see if the scorecard is on there to get an idea of yardages and will sometimes check out Google Earth to see the holes. Once I'm on the course, I just try to play my game and keep it in play.

I go play, look at the hole and fire away and hope I end up in a good spot. I like to see the course from the ground.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I'll pull it up on Swing by Swing to get a general idea. Some courses have a "How to Play" section on their website which I have, at times, copied and pasted to bring along.

I focus on my game, and keeping the ball in front of me. Play shots I am comfortable with and play smart.
I try and keep that in mind, if I push myself outside my comfort zone it's easy for my game to fall apart quick, especially on a new layout.

I'm playing a course for my first time in a benefit tournament this weekend. I was checking it out on Google Earth and the first thing that sticks out to me is that this course looks as though it has more bunkers and hazards than any course I have previously played. It also looks as though there are quite a few long narrow fairways with trees on both sides. There is quite a bit of elevation that comes into play at this course as well. It appears that 75% of the greens have bunkers left and right in both the front and rear. It looks like I will have to hit my ball straighter and more accurately on this course than other courses I play. I will probably not be taking any risk shots but will be playing safe shots for the entire 18 holes to keep out of trouble.

Some good feedback in here. Usually I'll try to play relatively safe. If I Can see the whole hole, I'll get a little more aggressive. I'm also a huge fan of yardage books if they're available for blind/trouble shots. Otherwise I depend pretty heavily on my GPS to make sure I know how far I can hit it of the tee if I want to.

In my organization we play a different course every month, so it's kinda normal for me to be playing a course the very first time. Here are some tips I follow.

The best scenario is for me to play a practice round before the actual game. If that's not possible or too much trouble, I get a layout of the course and try to figure out where trouble lies.

That said, I don't like looking at a plan view of the course, it feels too much like my work. So I rely on my eyes. I only hit to targets I can see, because I don't know my allowances if the shot is blind.

I try not to overthink and just enjoy. If it breaks the other way, so be it.

I don't whine, because while I'm struggling and figuring out the course, I know my opponents are too, so it's a fun kind of level playing field.

Google Earth and make sure I have my GPS.

This is exactly my approach, I have shot some of my best scores on courses the first time I played them because of this. I have recently tried to keep myself in this mindset on any course new or not. It has been good for my handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly google earth scouting, I also write down the green depths. Before my laser I would also measure the distance to hazards on google earth.

I do the google earth thing. Then I call the course designer and we meet for lunch and talk about where to miss, breaks on the green, etc. Last I schedule a round with current course record holder, lol in jest of course.

Back