Playing in Pro-ams

T0AD

2023, you're my last hope
Reaction score
Handicap
lots
I would love to one day play in a Pro-Am. The obvious thing holding me back from doing so (and most people, I assume) is the cost involved.

The BMW Pro-Am is a whopping $10k per player. I have even seen some Web.Com positions for $3,500.

Question, is it really something you'd be interested in doing if you could somehow pull it off (as an average person, not some Bill Gates type tycoon)?

At what price point would you pay to play a Pro-Am? Or do you even care? What Tour would you choose?

Honestly, I might pick the LPGA, as they play more like the amateur should play the game. And I think I'd pay maybe 1500-2000 absolute max. If I didn't have bills I could pay that off in a year pretty easy.

Side question; why are they so expensive? Is it all charity? Do they only want the folks with cash there to keep the fools out?

Playing in Pro-ams

Awesome question. I don't think I'd go over $500. Which says I'll never do it haha but I'd love to. Guess I'm one of the fools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've known a few folks who have played in the pro ams - and it's always been a company paying the fee and sending people as perks or something. And I believe the cash goes towards whatever the fundraising around the tournament is.

I can't imagine ever paying something like $10K for the experience. I'd even be hesitant to pay upwards of $1000 for one of the other tours, unless I knew who I was going to be able to play with.

I've got a buddy that's playing in the Deutsche Bank Pro-Am today. I should ask him if he had to pay to do that. He's has a job in wealth management though, wouldn't be surprised if his business connections got him a spot.

Would be cool to do it. I would probably cap it at $3k if paying out of pocket. The possibility of olaying with a no name player is what would be more of a drawback to trying than the money assuming I had the cash to do it.

im still trying to figure out how I can get my company to pay for me to play in ine if the tourneys they sponsor.

I've got a buddy that's playing in the Deutsche Bank Pro-Am today. I should ask him if he had to pay to do that. He's has a job in wealth management though, wouldn't be surprised if his business connections got him a spot.

Also tell him I have some wealth that needs to be managed... And found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to do one as well but I know it would never happen. Could never fork over more than $1000 to tip it up with a pro

I was fortunate enough to play in The Farmers Insurance Pro Am a few years back, as a contest winner.

The cost was just about $9,000 as they send me an invite each year to play again.

It was an incredible day in every aspect. We were paired with Sean O'Hair who was very nice. A bit reserved at first. But once we started talking Redskins and Eagles (he's from Philly) he really became very enthused. He told us, it was very enjoyable for him to play with regular guys who wanted to talk sports and equipment. And not business. He checked out all our clubs. He's a bit of a club ho and tinkerer

I got a full set of clubs as the Pro Am gift. Several other swag items as well.

But obviously I wouldn't be able to do it on my own dime.

Last edited:
I've played in several Nationwide/web.com Tour pro-ams. The title sponsor for our local event is one of our biggest customers so we pretty much have to donate and buy a team. Not cheap either, I think usually around $12,000 for a foursome. I think most of that money goes to the charities involved. Typically get some swag. Usually a couple of shirts and/or a jacket and some smaller miscellaneous items. Sometimes a pair of shoes or a golf bag. It varies from year to year, although recently it hasn't been too much. It is definitely not something I would ever do on my own unless I just had more money than I know what to do with.

Played with some fun guys, old and young. Some of went on to great things, some never make it very far. Some are great to play with, others you know there is someplace else they would rather be. Here the Wednesday, on-course pro-am is a handicap shamble within the foursome, and you can use the pro's score if it is better than anything you get after the stroke(s). We got second place one year and just get a small trophy type thing.

It's usually a lot of fun. Get to play on a premium course with a tour pro so nothing wrong with that at all.

I would love to do it sometime, but I'd need to make a lot more than I do now to be able to. I do like the idea of an LPGA pro-am, hadn't thought of that.

Our club hosts the Champions Tour Event - Principal Charity Classic and the Pro-Am is $2000 per person. I know of a few people who actually do participate. Although none of them actually pay out of their own pocket. It's a company sponsorship or donation of some sort. I would have to say this is true for 90% of the field and provides a nice write off for the company.

I would not pay any more then standard green fees for the day.

I would love to play in a Pro-am as well. Closest I have come is doing the scoring as part of my volunteer duties at my local LPGA event. I think the answer is that the tournament considers you are partner in the event. There are invitations to parties and tickets to the events and of course the freebees. Below is what the players in the Kingsmill Championship pro-am get. The gift package included a couple of golf clubs, shoes, and various other things.

Each Pro-Am Playing Spot Includes:

• 1 playing privilege in the Pro-Am with 2 LPGA Tour players
  • Exclusive tournament gift package
  • 1 autographed team photo
  • Invitation for two (2) to the Tuesday evening Pairings Party
  • One Preferred parking pass, valid Monday - Wednesday
  • One Pro-Am Partipant Badge & One Pro-Am Guest Badge
    • Valid for clubhouse and grounds Wednesday - Sunday
  • 20 Single Day clubhouse tickets, valid for clubhouse and grounds (great to distribute to family and friends)

Tough question to answer. I don't think I would pay much but it would probably be conditional on where I was playing.

I've played with pros before it's fun but not 10k fun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well first I'd want to get a whole lot better at golf before I even consider doing something like that.

I'd be willing to pay a couple of grand for an LPGA event but I'd want to play with someone who can speak english really well since it would make the experience quite a bit better

I would love to play in a Pro-Am, but would perfer playing an LPGA one due to yardages. I guess if I had the disposable income I would pay whatever it costs. Sadly, I doubt I will ever be in that position.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would love to play in a Pro-Am, but would perfer playing an LPGA one due to yardages. I guess if I had the disposable income I would pay whatever it costs. Sadly, I doubt I will ever be in that position.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
FYI at The Farmers (Torrey Pines) we teed off from the whites, Sean of course played the tournament tees.

I think the only way I'd be able to get in a pro-am would be a business connection. I can't see myself paying much more than $200 for any golf event. I have caddied these and had a good time as well.

Back