Playing Through: Where is your mind?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Thinking about this today when I played through a group. I was just playing my game but it involved hitting a utility when the group I played through were all hitting drivers and it got some audible feedback when I ended up past or even with them. Anywho, I’m one who loves to play through most times and hit some of my best shots in those moments, but I know a lot of guys aren’t that way.

So, are you the show off? The silent type? Praying for contact? Somewhere in between? Where do you place yourself and your thoughts when you’re playing through?

my worst shots are when i’m playing through. i hate feeling rushed. i don’t care that people are watching, it’s just knowing i can’t take my normal routine because i’m expected to get out of their way asap. today we played through a group, and i made a god awful swing into a hazard.

other than a 'thanks guys, appreciate it. have a great rest of your round" after teeing off, i am one million percent the silent, go about my business type.

• Staff
other than a 'thanks guys, appreciate it. have a great rest of your round" after teeing off, i am one million percent the silent, go about my business type.
Pleasantries are a must! (y)

Thinking, “don’t f’ this up”...

I’m just glad to get the nod to get through so I’m happy to just keep it between the trees.

Hitting a good shot is 50/50 which is about the same as when not playing through.

Last edited:

same here but i add "oh...wow. that works." after i hit a 3H 230yds off the tee :ROFLMAO:...then i pray they don't catch up to me for the rest of my shots :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I tend to prefer company where I’m ok waiting. Sometimes we need to play through but most of the time, like today, it wasn’t so bad to wait.

If they annoyed me I take that and Bomb. If they are super polite and friendly I tend to do poorly.

I love piping one when I am playing through, but per my 15 handicap that is not a consistent fete LOL! When I really hit one bad I usually pick up and do the walk/drive through of shame and write down a triple. No one needs to watch me screw around for a double.

I am a guy that let's "being rushed" hurt me. I always struggle when guys in my group are slow and we lag behind. Same thing with playing through...not a fan of doing it

I used to get into a rush and it would often result in a poor shot. I have learned though to just take it normally. I’m pretty quick anyways smd I tend to hit better shots now. It’s always awesome when you hit a good one!

Silent type, tip my hat say thank you and away I go.

I always feel rushed on the tee shot and second shot. Don't mind playing through and will be appreciative of it.

Nice smooth swing

Let’s make sure we advance the ball

“Appreciate it guys!”

....and I’m off as quick as I can be.

Yes, advance the ball, be thankful and play as quickly as possible.

I always like to be respectful and play through with some speed so as not to cause bother - if I screw up the hole because of my haste I just give myself a birdie.

I'm a show off on the tee, partly because people seem talk a lot of **** when you're playing through from the back tees, so you have to live up to it. :LOL:. Then I used to let myself feel rushed after that, and play worse. I don't rush now, but still feel like my scoring is slightly higher. I prefer it be on something like a par 3, where they've already teed. Then we go, and all ride up to the green together. That way there's an audience for the green/greenside work, and we leave them behind to head for the next tees.

Last edited:
I'm a show off on the tee, partly because people seem talk a lot of **** when you're playing through from the back tees, so you have to live up to it. :LOL:. Then I used to let myself feel rushed after that, and play worse. I don't rush now, but still feel like my scoring is slightly higher. I prefer it be on something like a par 3, where they've already teed. Then we go, and all ride up to the green together. That way there's an audience for the green/greenside work, and we leave them behind to head for the next tees.

LOL, this is a window into my life. Funny how they react after you stripe one..... Whoa o_O

That being the case, I am typically over friendly and thank folks for having me play through, wish them a nice round, and GTFO. All business, pleasantries aside. Audience doesn't bother me. It's more important to me that the group I'm playing through feels good about the interaction than how I shoot.

Don’t hit a pull/hook,
Don’t hit a pull/hook,
I’m gonna drop another one guys, that one’s gone.

Played through a twosome a few weeks back. Just stepped up, driver in hand and absolutely smashed it, dead center of the fairway. Then proceeded to hit over the green, blade my wedge...etc.

I don’t mind playing fast so when I play through, I don’t waste time, I hit my shot, and get out of their way. I don’t feel rushed. If we are letting others play through, I encourage them to take as much time as they need, no rush. I don’t want to screw up someone’s game because we were holding them up.

I will feel out the group, if they seem pleasant (which is most of the time). I will chat them up for a second, see how it’s going, show some appreciation them move along, and leave them behind..

I love playing through on holes you can hit driver. Par 3s are a bit tougher.

Back