Please Pay Attention When You're Playing

Great PSA Danielson. Glad you're ok buddy.

Back in my caddie days I witnessed quite a few people getting hit, and many more close calls. All it takes is a few seconds of not paying attention at just the right (or wrong) time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

i hear Canadians are pretty tough....growing up getting hit by hockey sticks a lot....lol..glad u r ok Dan

have been hit 3 times, none of them fun....very hard to continue with a good round after getting wacked.

Scary, glad you're ok!

That's the truth. Always pay attention.

On a similar note, I was playing the city of St. Louis Muni course in a scramble this saturday. It's in Forest Park, which is larger than central park. There was actually a woman pushing her baby in a stroller along the cart paths!!! This particular hole required a blind tee shot. She has no concept of how dangerous it is to stroll along the golf course as if the cart paths are part of the dozens of miles of running/walking paths in the park.

That course is full of that sort of thing - moms with strollers, joggers wearing headphones, etc - not to mention if you blade or shank one the odds of hitting a car on one of the various streets that surround the course are pretty high. I have a free pass to play there but don't really want to use it.

i hear Canadians are pretty tough....growing up getting hit by hockey sticks a lot....lol..glad u r ok Dan

have been hit 3 times, none of them fun....very hard to continue with a good round after getting wacked.

It's funny, that's the first thing I thought about.. Whether the ball would do more damage than the hundreds of pucks I've taken off leg/arm/stomach etc hahaha! So stupid.

Glad to hear you are ok!

As a side note, I find it dangerous that there are running/walking paths lining the fairways of some courses - as some have mentioned already, it can be a very dangerous spot and if someone is wearing headphones and ones errant shot is heading in their direction how can they possibly hear you yell "FORE" let alone "WATCH OUT!"?

For future reference, if any of you every play with me... just stand as close as you can to the hole. You will be perfectly safe.

Wow, glad you are ok. I unfortunately have been the one to shank and hit someone once.

Many years ago, I must have been probably 15 years old. Playing my local muni, my uncle, my brother and myself. a 4th joined in, an older japanese gentleman. I hit my shot on the first tee right, still an ok shot, but trees in front so only place to go was more left of the green. The japanese gentleman was standing to the right of my intended line, but still in front of me about 60 yards. I asked him to move so I could hit. He said I'm fine, hit your shot. I asked him again to please move, but he refused. took my shot and shanked it bad, ball was low, and hooking right. and yelled fore, he didn't budge, and it nailed him in the left thigh. We all ran up to see if he was ok, he said he was fine and proceeded to leave the course.

My game was off that whole day because of it. and from then on, I will never hit if someone is anywhere in front of me where a ball could possibly go.

We should all remember to be careful. I've seen shank shots that went 90 degrees to the right with no forward movement at all.

Glad you're okay, Dan!

I had a bad case of the s%$#(s for six weeks last summer and it really showed up during our Memorial Day tourney. Two guys in my foursome were standing at the front and rear of their cart and I hit my GW straight right into the side of the cart between them. I almost died.

I actually hit someone in the head on #18 earlier this year during the Thursday night league. I was trying to get my GW (I see a pattern) to the island green and I just kinda fanned it out right. The other cart had gone over the hill and I thought they were headed to the green/the other side of the moat. I see Dave's head pop up over the crest of the hill and my ball's heading right for him..thunk! I felt so bad and couldn't stop apologizing and I got at least the first round of drinks at dinner that night and I still apologize/tease him about it when I see him.

Go one better and make sure everyone is paying attention before you play. Saying "Heads Up" means you likely won't have to say "I'm sorry" or "Are you OK?".

Back