Please Pay Attention When You're Playing

Learned that exact lesson this season as well. Folks don't intend to hit into you, but it happens.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Learned that exact lesson this season as well. Folks don't intend to hit into you, but it happens.

In your case I've heard it actually improves score. :alien:

Great reminder Dan. As a walker I often find myself ahead of my playing partners but head is continually on a swivel.

I was hit in the head once around 17 years ago and don't want to experience that again.

I have always given anyone a shout if they have wandered past me and I am about to hit - usually this will consist of something along the lines of 'Heads up guys!' just to make sure they know I will be hitting

Glad you're ok, Dan.

Its something I've joked about at THP events (leaving my card when someone has ice-jacked our group), but it's a big deal.

It's easy to get lost while playing a casual round. That's true for the person hitting the ball and the people around. Everyone needs to be careful.

I don't think I hit a pitch around the green (especially from a bunker) without giving a head's up to the group.

In your case I've heard it actually improves score. :alien:
Hahaha! It took a couple of holes, but, yep, then it did seem to work well.

By the time the initial shock of the miss was registered, the ball was already on us. It's not like it was 200 yards up or anything. More like 60 or so and HARD right.. It was truly a split second and then just a whole lot of befuddled confusion. Speaking for this particular individual, he's the first to yell fore for both his shots and other people's misses as well.

It was just one of those moments where nothing went right and shock lead the way. I just wanted to give everyone a firm reminder that our safety should be paramount to ignorance in conversation on course, especially when someone is hitting behind us.

I appreciate the thoughts towards my own personal safety, you beauties!! It was a great lesson to learn without injury.
Just glad your weren't taken out by a chilly pepper

Glad you're ok, Dan.

Its something I've joked about at THP events (leaving my card when someone has ice-jacked our group), but it's a big deal.

It's easy to get lost while playing a casual round. That's true for the person hitting the ball and the people around. Everyone needs to be careful.

I don't think I hit a pitch around the green (especially from a bunker) without giving a head's up to the group.

I am glad that for the most part, any ice jacking at a THP event has been met with smiles and deep apologies.... Not without a load of ribbing through the forum or in person, of course.

Speaking of which, I seem to be a bit of a magnet for that after my last couple events. Might need to borrow a couple cards.

Good reminder brother! I'm glad it wasn't worse for you. And I'm sure your player partner was shaken by this too. Way to often we get to comfortable with what we're doing.

I am glad that for the most part, any ice jacking at a THP event has been met with smiles and deep apologies.... Not without a load of ribbing through the forum or in person, of course.

Speaking of which, I seem to be a bit of a magnet for that after my last couple events. Might need to borrow a couple cards.

Just be sure to be in my venue before you're hit again...

��

I've always tried to stand behind the player when they are hitting but even that isn't always the safest place. I remember standing at the back of the tee box one time and the guy getting ready to tee off wasn't the greatest of players. He shanked it immediately off the tee to the right, hit a tree square in the center and the ball ricocheted straight back to the tee box and flew right past my head. Laughed about it then but could have been pretty bad had it hit one of us. Always pay attention now for sure.

Being a victim of a golf ball knockout a few years ago, I am really glad you didn't get hit.
I've had no lasting effects of the knockout, other than to this day, the guy that hit me constantly apologizes whenever I see him.
This game can be dangerous, and it's everyone's duty to be alert and also be loud when yelling fore. I have seen several people that have yelled fore that was so weak it couldn't be hear 40 feet away. When you yell it, yell it like YOUR life depended on it.

Glad you are ok, my man. After being hit a few times, I don't take any chances.

Last weekend I was playing with my buddy. We had just finished a hole and the next tee box was backed up so we were standing in the cart path next to the tee box. A guy playing the hole we just finished hits his approach and yells fore, we duck, the ball bounces and hits my buddy directly in the butt. He wasn't hurt, but it was a little unnerving. The guy apologized so it wasn't a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing yesterday. On a par 5 about to hit my second shot and some guy pushing a toddler in a little plastic car appears on the cart path crossing the fairway. Really going slow. He looks towards us and keeps trundling along. Wait for him to cross and he disappears behind a small hill, off the fairway, heading towards some houses lining the fairway OOB on the left. Wait another minute to let him get way clear and hit my shot. As I'm following the flight of my ball he reappears from behind the hill still pushing the kid going back across the fairway. Thankfully, the shot lands no where near. I would have felt bad hitting him but how could he put the child in danger? It is a public golf course on a Sunday early afternoon. What the heck was he doing?

Also yesterday my playing partner is in the first cut of the rough about 160 yards out manages to hit the 150 yard pole (about as thick as your thumb) and the ball caroms back towards me 10 yards behind him. Even if you are paying attention it can be dangerous.

Yes golf is dangerous. Even at the driving range.... someone hit one of the toe and it hit the front edge of the server tray and bounced back hitting the wall behind them. I shanked one on the course and it hit a bench and ended up ricocheting behind the tee box. In the woods, sometimes there are just too many trees around for even a safe knock out, and it just isn't worth it - hand wedge out onto the fairway (take ESC on the hole) - this after trying one and having the ball hit four trees and hit me in the head.

Glad you OK Dan! We all definitely need to pay attention when others are hitting

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

This is exactly why I get upset when I hear idiots say "just whizz one by them, they'll move". Having a golf ball go blazing past you is scary (like you said) and something that I try to avoid haha. Definitely find myself not paying attention tho so thanks for the reminder

Golfed today @ Trump Ferry Point. Standing on 17 green and waiting for someone in the foursome to chip up and all of a sudden I hear the thump of the ball and a lagging "Fore". Turns out someone on 16 mishit one a mile and it landed about 5 feet from the guy chipping in my group.

Glad to hear you're ok. It could have been a bad situation. My playing partner was teeing off today and pulled a drive and hit a tree 100 yards or so in front of us. It had enough energy to bounce off the tree and back past us another 50 yards. It's incredible how fast a golf ball is moving!

Glade nothing real bad came of this. Thanks for the reminder!

Wow, That could have been nasty! Glad you were lucky today!
You'll remember that forever...

Years ago playing in a high school state tournament, I was standing to side of tee box waiting for group in front of me to tee off. Guy was hitting (a driver).
He either blocked it bad, or hit it off the toe and it caught me 1" to the side of my valuables. I was down for about 5 minutes but both my sons are glad that missed!

I had the same thing happen about a month or two ago, but actually got hit (3 wood from around 50 yards away into the hip area).

Like you say, it takes a couple of holes to calm the 'fight or flight' down.

I was actually more messed up a day or two later...I couldn't stop thinking about how horrible that could have worked out (all I got was a big bruise, but it wasn't far from the General and his 2 guards, or broken bones could have resulted...).

Was playing several years back and ended up in a bunker on a long par 3. I'm a pretty decent sand player, but even pros catch one clean sometimes. Anyway, one of the guys I'm playing with is standing directly in my line, 10 feet beyond the hole. I asked him to move, just for safety sake and promptly stuck it 2 feet. The guy joked about it, that he didn't need to move and that I was messing with him. In truth, with him standing there, the only thought I had running through my head was dropping him with a skulled shot.

Back