MaryC

Lady of Leisure
Reaction score
Handicap
Back9 Beer
So, I've been turned onto port recently. I was given a 10yr old several years ago (5 or so, don't remember what brand but was told it was a "good" one). I've been storing it in my wine cabinet with the other reds but want to know if I've ruined it or if it should be OK when I get home and open it up.

Thanks.

mmm, port. I dont see why it wouldn't be any good. It's red wine with some brandy added... Probably would keep longer. I'm no expert, I just saw "port" in the title and got excited!

I have always kept ports with my other reds. Same temp and lying down on its side. Due to its sediment (in many cases), try not to rotate it or move it much.

You'll know for sure when it does get opened.Hope it is.

OK, I opened the port last night and it was just fine! Now that it is open, I have it in the coolest part of my red wine storage. It is a 10yr old Smith Woodhouse or rather when it was purchased, it was a 10yr old. I've had the bottle since 2004, so it is now a 16yr old Tawny and has some fantastic caramel flavors. I had it with a nice cigar last night after coming off the golf course but I think I'm going to try it with some 70% dark chocolate later this week (have to bake a chocolate genoise cake with ganache frosting, always use 70% for the frosting). I somehow think it will pair spectacular with the chocolate.

OK, I opened the port last night and it was just fine! Now that it is open, I have it in the coolest part of my red wine storage. It is a 10yr old Smith Woodhouse or rather when it was purchased, it was a 10yr old. I've had the bottle since 2004, so it is now a 16yr old Tawny and has some fantastic caramel flavors. I had it with a nice cigar last night after coming off the golf course but I think I'm going to try it with some 70% dark chocolate later this week (have to bake a chocolate genoise cake with ganache frosting, always use 70% for the frosting). I somehow think it will pair spectacular with the chocolate.

It should, but it could make the chocolate have a slightly more bitter flavor.

Jb is correct here. Dont know if it will be great with the chocolate. It should last a lot longer than an opened bottle of red wine as well. Ports can last a good while after being opened.

Jb is correct here. Dont know if it will be great with the chocolate. It should last a lot longer than an opened bottle of red wine as well. Ports can last a good while after being opened.

I think it could be very good with some, but 70% might be hard. The sweeter the chocolate in my opinion the better the combination with a port that has that much caramel overtones.

Well, you would know more than I, although I was in the business for a bit, Ports were not something I payed a whole lot of attention to. We had a younger membership and they were more into the liquors.

Well, you would know more than I, although I was in the business for a bit, Ports were not something I payed a whole lot of attention to. We had a younger membership and they were more into the liquors.

Im no port expert that is for sure. I do like my Tawnys and was basing it purely off of personal taste.

It should, but it could make the chocolate have a slightly more bitter flavor.

I'll find out on Thursday!

Im no port expert that is for sure. I do like my Tawnys and was basing it purely off of personal taste.

I hear ya, But I am sure you have had your fair share. Which is more than I can say for myself.

I park my boat at....... oh wrong thread.

Love Ports, close friends drink it as a desert wine after dinner with some fresh fruit. Deliciious

Man, I haven't had port in a long time. I think I am going to pick up a bottle on payday this week!

Love Port, last weekend I made pears poached in Port for dessert, amazing together.

Back