Pre round check in- what's too early?

Yesterday was a perfect example of how things go at my course. We had three of us playing - I was there an hour early (as usual), the other guy showed up about 45 min early while I was warming up putting and chipping. Our tee time was 8:12, and at 7:50 the starter came over to me and told me we were following the group that was headed to the first tee right then.

22 minutes before our scheduled tee time and our third guy hadn't arrived yet, and I had no idea where our second guy went after he checked in. I called him and he said "I'm in the parking lot waiting for him, I told him to be here at 8:00". What??? Don't tell a guy to show up at 8:00 for an 8:12 tee time - especially a guy who has a reputation for being somewhat less than punctual. He pulled in a couple minutes later and they made it down right as the starter was ready to send another group out in front of us because we weren't ready yet.

Our starter very rarely runs late unless there are circumstances beyond his control (frost delay, etc.), and he almost always has you out early. He doesn't have any problems with bumping groups ahead if they're ready to go and the people with earlier tee times don't have their s**t together. To be on the safe side, you need to be loaded up, ready to go and sitting in the staging area at least 20-30 minutes before your tee time.

For me it's completely course or event specific.
If I am heading to play Sawgrass, Pebble, Payne's Valley or Bandon Dunes type of course I am arriving 2-3 hours early. I want to take it all in. The lobby, locker room. range, amenities, proshop, restaurant. At the prices some of these places are charging I want to get the whole experience and every nickels worth.

If I am playing in a tournament I am getting there a minimum of 1 hour ahead of my tee time. This is specifically to get warmed up and get ready mentally. It's always nice to make sure you have everything ready as well.

If I am playing with the regular group on Sat/Sun. I might be two hours early and have breakfast before, or I might be running up to the tee after everyone has already tee'd off.

If it is a charity scramble I like to arrive at least 1 hour if not 1.5 hours ahead. It usually a **** show on the range with all the play two times a year players, all the extra tickets/ mulligans, raffle stuff you can get takes forever as well.

Depends where I am playing. Longer drive times mean I arrive earlier, but the course closet to the house usually only 10-15 before and tee off. If on a special course or an event then long enough to wander around and warm up prior to tee time.

My initial thought with the limitation is carts - obviously the course only has so many, and if too many people check-in early and load their stuff up it can affect golfers who have an earlier time.

Personally I think if you check in more than 30 minutes early you don't have an expectation to be putting your clubs immediately onto a cart anyway, but that's me.

That's my thinking too, that it is a resource issue. If you have a limited number of carts, range space or staff, you may just try to manage traffic so that somebody isn't inconvenienced because they can't get access to something that someone with a later tee time is using.

But it still seems like that would be pretty rare. I think most people are like the folks who have posted and show up within an hour of their tee time.

I’m not really sure. I guess it depends on location and how busy the tee sheet is.

If my home course says anything other than “thanks for checking in“ I’m probably annoyed. If I am on vacation and trying to spend my entire morning at a course before tee time, I can understand why that’s a bit problematic.

Wondering how common this is, because I’ve never been turned away.

I'm usually around an hour early unless I'm extremely familiar with the course and how long it takes to check in and get to the range. I don't hit a lot of range balls, usually around 15-20. I like to roll a few putts and make sure I'm ready to head to the first tee about 5 minutes before my scheduled time. I don't like to feel rushed because that usually follows me to the course.

I’ve never seen a restriction on arrival time. I’m usually in 30-40 minutes early, depending if there is any specific short game practice I want to get in pre-round. But probably max 1 hr early.

Back