Pre round check in- what's too early?

I like to show up about an hour before. I won't check in right away though, just get some practice and check in closer to 30 minutes before. I feel like they should let you check in whenever, understanding your tee time is still your tee time. I don't understand why they would not allow that, unless their system can't handle it. who knows though.
My initial thought with the limitation is carts - obviously the course only has so many, and if too many people check-in early and load their stuff up it can affect golfers who have an earlier time.

Personally I think if you check in more than 30 minutes early you don't have an expectation to be putting your clubs immediately onto a cart anyway, but that's me.

Never heard of that before.
I can beat that. State park course (NY) only allows check ins within 10 minutes of your tee time!! Stupidest thing I've ever heard of. So you have a bunch of golfers standing around or milling around in the parking lot waiting to check in. Barely time to load your bag onto cart and drive towards first tee and see starter. You cant make this sh!t up. Previous year it was 20 minutes and i thought that was dumb but 10 minutes takes the cake.

I can beat that. State park course (NY) only allows check ins within 10 minutes of your tee time!! Stupidest thing I've ever heard of. So you have a bunch of golfers standing around or milling around in the parking lot waiting to check in. Barely time to load your bag onto cart and drive towards first tee and see starter. You cant make this sh!t up. Previous year it was 20 minutes and i thought that was dumb but 10 minutes takes the cake.
Which course was this?

What if I want to eat or use the facilities pre round? Who is to tell me when I can show up. That’s nuts

What if I want to eat or use the facilities pre round? Who is to tell me when I can show up. That’s nuts
There not telling you when you can show up. It’s when you can check-in - pay, get your cart, etc.

My initial thought with the limitation is carts - obviously the course only has so many, and if too many people check-in early and load their stuff up it can affect golfers who have an earlier time.

Personally I think if you check in more than 30 minutes early you don't have an expectation to be putting your clubs immediately onto a cart anyway, but that's me.
That is a great point. There are ways that could be handled i would think. Though, i know it can sometimes be hard for places to change their ways.

30 to 45 minutes before tee time for most courses, unless it's an early morning tee time. Then I will get there early and grab an egg sandwich before the round.

Show up early, check in about 30 minutes before tee time.

That's some crazy sh!t right there.

Right around an hour. Check in, hit small bucket, putt, drink coffee and bs.

I usually show 30 minutes before tee time, get a cart and load my bag and get ready.

30-75 minutes. Longer drives usually mean I’m there a little more than an hour early to let my back loosen up and stop hurting. I’ll check in, grab a bucket, and head to the range. Sometimes I even stretch. I’m fine with not checking in outside of an hour as long as I can still grab a bucket and loosen up.

Usual weekend round is typically 45 minutes but if going to special course away have been probably 90 minutes ahead. Gives chance to have good look inside pro shop, hit practice facilities and get a general walk around. Some of the high end places are pretty cool and rarely experienced so enjoy savouring in all the amenities is fun.

For me If the range is far from the tee. 45 minutes to get a cart.
I see no issue in being an hour early to pay.
Some people push to get out when checking in early. Others dilly dally.
Some groups have both.
That’s the main point of requiried check in.

10 minutes prior to actual tee time is too early. #StretchAndGo

I’m usually 30-45 minutes early, enough time to get stretched a little bit and maybe roll a few putts. The only exception to that is my Thursday night league that starts at 3:30, sometimes work gets in the way and I end up running to the first tee.

My earliest arrival was 4 1/2 hours early. Drove thru night, trip was faster than thought, pulled up to guard house, was first on premises. Guard showed up a few minutes later and showed me where to park. Spent 2 1/2 hours on range alternating between hitting balls and putting. Fastest greens I have ever played. My first putt I literally hit off the green. And I knew they would be super fast. But WOW. Didn't 3 putt during my round. And I had a lot of long putts. Greens were rolling 13. Oakmont. Every day speed for them.
I've been in that situation a time or two. (Driving all night, getting there way too early, not the Oakmont part LOL)
I napped a bit the one time, another they let me check in, I grabbed a bite to eat, loosened up, etc. Never been turned away

I've been in that situation a time or two. (Driving all night, getting there way too early, not the Oakmont part LOL)
I napped a bit the one time, another they let me check in, I grabbed a bite to eat, loosened up, etc. Never been turned away
I was going to park and sit but candidly first thing was hit the head. Then I just wanted to walk around and get a feel for the place. But being first to bang balls at range was special.

I haven't really seen this particularly at public courses. I guess I could see a club not wanting someone to spend two plus hours using the facilities.

My buddy's late father was nicknamed "Dober" (short for Doberman) because his ears would perk up if he heard the word GOLF!

- He died at 82 years old, and when he was 79, someone asked him in October how many times he had shot his age or better so far that year. It was something like 92 times up to that point.
- 14 lifetime HIOs
- We once played 18 at Forest Highlands in Flagstaff, AZ, then immediately drove down to Sedona for another 18. He wanted to play more, but we weren't up for it. He got pissed off and made his son drive 3-1/2 hours to Tucson where he managed to get in about 2 holes before dark.
- He quit coming up for AZ golf trips because we limited the golf to 36 holes per day.
- He had the very first tee time at Kingwood CC in Humble, TX for years, playing by himself every day so he could get done in 90 minutes.
- At his son's house in Sonterra CC - San Antonio, they had an 8 AM tee time one Saturday. My buddy wakes up at 6 AM and can't find his dad anywhere. Turns out Dober was dressed, ready to go, and sitting in the golf cart in the garage at 5:30 AM.
- For years, before they closed down, he was a member at Atascocita CC in Humble. He had the first tee time there too, but he would show up at 5 AM and help the outside service guys stage the golf carts.

How early is too early to check in for golf? Never early enough in Dober's book :)

Typically around 30-45 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a 60 minute guy. If I'm eating before my round, 90 minutes. 🤷‍♂️

30-45 mins is enough if planning to warm up on the range. 20-30 mins if no range warmup.

Too early is anything over an hour. 45 is perfect.

30 minutes is my preferred minimum. An hour is nice. if a course has set rules for check in I can always putt first before checking in and grabbing a bucket of balls.

Back