• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you buy Premium Driver Shafts?

How much extra are you willing to pay?:starwars:

So the stock shaft was alright in my last 2 drivers, but the upgrade (not even premium, just free upgrade) was much better for me

Now that SOME OEMs are offering real-deal, high-performing shafts, and multiples of them, I think it is easier to find a "Stock" Offering that fits.

I would pay a bit of a premium, maybe $100-200, if the shaft would really increase my numbers over any of the no-upcharge offerings.

I've never spent the money to upgrade a shaft when buying a new driver. I figure there has to be a no upcharge offering that fits my swing for the most part. Drivers already cost enough, I can't justify spending even more on a shaft.

It depends on the driver and what shaft it comes with. These days drivers have some sweet stock shafts already installed. I don't like the heavy shafts for my swing though, so stick to somewhat lighter shafts.

I haven’t played a stock shaft in probably a decade. Two shafts ago I was fit into a HZRDUS T1100 that set me back $450. This time around it was a Fujikura that was only $250.

I get along with both but the "stock" shafts I've ordered recently have been a tip stiff factory option, sometimes free sometimes not.

define the specific out puts to the premium shaft....ie torque/weight/flex/launch.....and I will find an option that is pretty much the same at a proper price. The volume of options available today is amazing. I built clubs for a while as a hobby. Had a database of suppliers of the various pieces.

Most stock shafts will fit most players. There is a reason OEM's pick these options to fit the bell curve. Me personally I have found shafts that have worked with different products so I tend to lean on those when testing potentially new gear.

I think THPers are a little more in tune (or just like to tinker) so they might venture into upgrade shafts or options that OEM's don't offer. I know early on Recoils were not a graphite option so it was an up charge or order after the iron purchase.

yes, I have purchased premium after-market shafts. has it helped? probably not. I have enjoyed plenty of stock options. I tend to fit very squarely in the middle of the bell curve. mid to high 90s swing speed. smooth, cast-y transition without much load on the golf shaft. need some help with launch and spin. pretty much the target golfer for every stock golf shaft ever haha.

Last two drivers were not stock offerings, but were no charge upgrades.

My last driver was stock shaft, I do have one aftermarket shaft that I will be playing this year.

I never have purchased an upgraded shaft as part of a driver purchase. If the numbers were measurably better with an upgraded shaft, I would be willing to go up to $200 over the base driver price to get it.

Stock vs. premium means nothing if you are not fit for it. Otherwise it is an expensive game of trial and error.

I am willing to pay whatever for a premium shaft if it fits.

Last edited:
I've found premium aftermarket shafts (several Graphite Design models) feel better, provide a nicer impact sound, and offer more consistent shot dispersion than stock shafts.
All the GD Tour AD models I've tried (DI, MJ, DJ, MT,IZ) are sensational for a driver.
For fairways and hybrids I have not yet a found an aftermarket shaft that performs as well as the Miyazaki shafts which come stock with Cleveland and, or, Srixon clubs.

I have played aftermarket shafts for the last 15 years, some were more expensive than others. I have played $1000 shafts down to $75 shafts, if the performance and feel meet what I am looking for, I will put it in play.

When I decided on my last driver, I spent about 40 minutes with the store guys (it was raining and in the middle of winter) on a TopTracer and four shafts - the stock and three $75 upgrades. The shaft that felt the best and was longest by about ten yards had the absolute worst dispersion. The shaft I went with was about three yards shorter than stock but had about 50% better dispersion on a relative basis. So I was tested on my position that I would trade a little distance for more consistency. I did and I have not looked back. What clinched the deal for me: the upgrade shaft cost $75 with the driver and $225 if bought separately. If I went with the upgrade and decided to go back to stock, they were all over eBay at $50. Something to consider. The testing also convinced me that stock shafts often are pretty darn good.

I have been playing stock but getting fitted for the right shaft is high on my list as my driving game needs a ton of work.

Thank goodness the Riptide is a no upcharge option this year or I would have paid for that one

This poll confuses me.

I play stock shafts. I've never been fitted. I've only used a launch monitor once. I'm only recently realizing that I'm a slow swinger and will most likely never have a 300 yard drive without a massive tailwind and a downhill roll on a dry fairway... with an assist by a curious chipmunk that moves my ball that additional 7 inches at the end.

but I'm open to the idea of playing premium shafts if they can help my game.

A lot of OEM's are offering premium shafts with their clubs so do you mean aftermarket or what.?

Back