Professionals getting rules help

Should pros be on their own in rulings or get official help?

• Pros are on their own to make calls

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Pros can get rulings from the officials

Votes: 59 93.7%

• Total voters
I have no problems with the pros asking for help or rulings from rules officials.

Eh…yeah…I can’t get down with this one. I see nothing wrong with being able to ask an official for a ruling in a tournament.

Having heard of the horror stories of golfers trying to bend/manipulate/skirt rules to win meaningless prizes in amateur events, I can only imagine the rancor that would happen if there was a $1,000,000 on the line.

I get why they do it. They're playing for a lot of money and there are cameras on every single thing they do. I like when they don't call an official though and work it out themselves or in the group. There was an official earlier this year or last year so basically told one then to do that. That he didn't see it, so it needed to be decided by the group. I liked that.
The aspect of video and post play review where penalties are called after the fact makes it so that you have get the 3rd party rules official opinion. At least if there's any chance of ambiguity.

Can’t think of a single other professional sport where players rule their own penalties. Not sure why professional golf should be any different.
The normal field for other sports is much smaller too though and officials are closer to the action normally (I'm thinking NFL, NBA, and MLB).

I think there need to be officials with each group. There are enough volunteers at PGA tournaments to move a damn rock for a certain player, spot balls for other players, and yell "get in the hole!" after nearly every shot. There are enough volunteers to follow along with each group and #1. TIME them, and #2. Provide rulings when needed.

Isn’t the rule book like 50 pages long and the interpretation of those rules like 3000 pages long? I don’t blame the players needing to ask questions
And yet you have a mountain of amateurs in online forums claiming they follow all the rules of golf every time they play.

Ask Dustin Johnson how he feels about it. I remember I believe last year he was penalized when he thought he was in a sandy area and grounded his club then to find out later that in all the surrounding areas of surface sand his was an actual trap. I know I couldn't tell the difference.

Maybe he had another issue last year, but I don't think so. It was a few years ago. I believe that it was the PGA Championship held at Whistling Straits in 2015. He incurred a penalty that cost him the title! He grounded his club in what he thought was a "waste area", and turned out to be a bunker. He claimed that there were footprints in it, which is why he thought what he did. However, it should be said that he, and his caddy, decided to skip the player's meeting with the tournament committee to hear all of that explained!

But then, another thought intrudes. Should a course like Whistling Straits, built in a sandy environment, be allowed to have both? Should they be marked in some way? It's obvious to me that the general public did not attend the player's meeting, and could have inadvertently walked through some bunkers that they thought were simply sandy spots.

I do hate the “armchair officials” that phone in later and somehow people are assessed. Doesn’t work in any other sport that I know of.

I did too, but that can't happen any more. The R&A and the USGA passed the "hi-def" rules a while ago, since folks watching on TV could have a better view of the situation than those on site. If it is not called on site, and, I believe, at the time of the violation, a rule cannot be enforced.

I think they should be able to get the help. I think it's asking a lot to expect they know every single rule and interpretation and how to apply them to every situation they encounter on the course. Don't see any reason they shouldn't be able to use officials for clarification/help.

They have Rules Officials on the course for a reason, I'd sure take advantage of them if I had HD cameras pointed at me, millions of dollars riding on my game, and breaking some obscure, archaic rule could ruin it.

I saw a video some years back where, before the start of an NBA game, the officials decided to play a little joke on the team captains. They called them to center court and told them that league office wanted to try something. The officials would be on the court to administer the game, but they wanted the players to call their own fouls! The players looked at them like they were insane! They asked if the league office had lost their minds, since no player was going to call their own fouls! The officials kept pushing it until they couldn't help themselves and started cracking up!

Try to think of a single professional sport, or even an amateur sport, that functions without officials.

I saw a video some years back where, before the start of an NBA game, the officials decided to play a little joke on the team captains. They called them to center court and told them that league office wanted to try something. The officials would be on the court to administer the game, but they wanted the players to call their own fouls! The players looked at them like they were insane! They asked if the league office had lost their minds, since no player was going to call their own fouls! The officials kept pushing it until they couldn't help themselves and started cracking up!

Try to think of a single professional sport, or even an amateur sport, that functions without officials.
Some would argue the NBA functions without officials ;)

Pros have rules officials, so by proxy they should use them.
No officials, get that pocket book out

I think of it like this, if I’m unsure of something at my job, I ask for clarification. Same for them.

Tour players have enough on their plate and don't need to be Rules experts. However, I do believe the Tour caddies should know the Rules and sometimes use same to help their player. When DJ lost the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits due to grounding his club in the small bunker on 18 I believe his caddie is to blame.

Tour players have enough on their plate and don't need to be Rules experts. However, I do believe the Tour caddies should know the Rules and sometimes use same to help their player. When DJ lost the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits due to grounding his club in the small bunker on 18 I believe his caddie is to blame.

The PGA is partially to blame for that fiasco as they took easy way out on the setup. If memory serves correctly there were over 2k sandy areas they called bunkers. Most of those areas did not even have a rake, some were the size of a paper plate/smaller than a rake is wide. Stupid setup IMO and many should have been considered waste areas, not sand traps.

When is the last time a tour player, or any other golfer approached a sandy area that is filled full of patrons? The area was outside the ropes and there were people still standing in it when he hit out of it.

The safe approach for players would have been to not ground your club anywhere if in doubt. Bet he wishes he would have done that.

The PGA is partially to blame for that fiasco as they took easy way out on the setup. If memory serves correctly there were over 2k sandy areas they called bunkers. Most of those areas did not even have a rake, some were the size of a paper plate/smaller than a rake is wide. Stupid setup IMO and many should have been considered waste areas, not sand traps.

When is the last time a tour player, or any other golfer approached a sandy area that is filled full of patrons? The area was outside the ropes and there were people still standing in it when he hit out of it.

The safe approach for players would have been to not ground your club anywhere if in doubt. Bet he wishes he would have done that.

Before the tournament started the contestants were given a Local Rules sheet, including the definition of bunkers at Whistling Straits. Had DJ's caddie studied that Local Rules sheet he could have advised DJ and avoided the 2-shot penalty

Back