Project X HandCrafted Experience Recap & Review - Time Lapse Shaft Creation

nice write up Chumpy McChumpface

i think i'm going to take a different approach to this than my analytical side would normally do. i'm going to take the testing seriously on the range and the course, but at px i'm just going to trust fall into db's arms. he's the man and i all i need to do is get out of my own way. i'm so freaking excited about this!
Trust fall, I like that description. I will jump on a monitor if I get a chance, just to have a reference point . Definitely won't get a fitting or try to chase numbers.

Man I'm excited for this.

Trust fall, I like that description. I will jump on a monitor if I get a chance, just to have a reference point . Definitely won't get a fitting or try to chase numbers.

Man I'm excited for this.

if I had access to an outdoor monitor I would probably do the same. but indoors into a screen is not ideal for me. so then I would tempted to second guess myself.

if I had access to an outdoor monitor I would probably do the same. but indoors into a screen is not ideal for me. so then I would tempted to second guess myself.

I agree with this. I did my "driver fitting" at a place that was outdoors with a Trackman. Hitting outdoors on the monitor and seeing the same thing I saw on the course put me at ease before going out to Project X. The great thing about this event is that there is no wrong way to go. As long as you put in the time with the baseline shaft, Don will work his magic for you.

I ended up spending a lot of time w the test shaft on the range and then took it on the course. While I like numbers, I wanted real world performance results to be my "driver" when making my shaft.
I was pretty happy w the test shaft, so I only adjusted the tip section a little bit. I think Don had final specs on my shaft in 10 minutes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It was pretty clear to me between monitor results and on course results than the tester shaft was too still and low launching. I kept losing balls right with it and even when I absolutely pured it I got no more than mid flight balls with very little spin (under 2000rpm). So once I got to Don, between the spin numbers and the on course results, all I had to do was tell him to soften it up a bit and get the tip more active in order to alleviate the push and increase spin and launch.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much about screwing things up - Don has a talent of taking even the most vague and/or non technical feedback and translating it into tangible shaft characteristics to fit your swing.

The HandCrafted shaft made an appearance at TheGauntlet this weekend. It represented well.

sorry if this is the wrong thread, but did y'all eat anywhere for dinner that you would recommend? daydreaming about this trip, and would like to have some good restaurants lined up for wed, fri and sat.

sorry if this is the wrong thread, but did y'all eat anywhere for dinner that you would recommend? daydreaming about this trip, and would like to have some good restaurants lined up for wed, fri and sat.
Chump Fries and I came in early and had a great dinner in Little Italy. Great Italian, don't remember the name of the restaurant. Tons of choices down there.

The Ballast Point dinner for the event was so awesome.

We ate at a really great cheesesteak place near Balboa Park after golf there. Little hole in the wall place but great food and beer.

The last night a few of us ate at another brew pub in La Jolla. Great food, beer and scenery! Think it was Stan The caddy, Skibumgolfer, Chump and me. Everyone else had headed home by that point.

If I were to do it again, I would check out the restaurant at Hotel Del Coronado and sit on the patio by the ocean. Cost is prohibitive, so don't do that if you are on a budget.

Chump Fries and I came in early and had a great dinner in Little Italy. Great Italian, don't remember the name of the restaurant. Tons of choices down there.

The Ballast Point dinner for the event was so awesome.

We ate at a really great cheesesteak place near Balboa Park after golf there. Little hole in the wall place but great food and beer.

The last night a few of us ate at another brew pub in La Jolla. Great food, beer and scenery! Think it was Stan The caddy, Skibumgolfer, Chump and me. Everyone else had headed home by that point.

Cheesesteak place was call Giorgino's if I remember correctly. Soooooo good...and that's coming from someone who grew up in the Philly metro area! http://www.yelp.com/biz/giorginos-san-diego

And the last night I believe was at Karl Strauss Brewing? Yeah it was solid! Lots of pars and birdies too, even one or two eagles!

Cheesesteak place was call Giorgino's if I remember correctly. Soooooo good...and that's coming from someone who grew up in the Philly metro area! http://www.yelp.com/biz/giorginos-san-diego

And the last night I believe was at Karl Strauss Brewing? Yeah it was solid! Lots of pars and birdies too, even one or two eagles!
That's right Karl Strauss Brewery. We had a blast ranking the local talent in golf scoring terms.

Is there anything you guys wish you had done? Or would change if you had another opportunity?

I would have loved more time to hang with the crew/JB/Dean and Don. Such a great group of guys. Giorgino's was sooooo good that I highly recommend this years crew make their way over there. That should become a THP/Project X tradition. In terms of the shaft itself it could not have worked out better. The tester launched the ball great, gave me awesome carry and roll. It felt a tad soft so all we need was to stiffen her up a bit. I know I've mentioned it before but I always thought I needed low torque shafts for my chiseled physique and manly swing*. The 3.5-4.0 degree range by far feels the best and I have lost nothing when it comes to dispersion. Don's explanation of torque really opened my eyes. Now I have my personal smooooof feeling X shaft that carries long, spins low and runs like the Devil.

*may or may not be exaggerations

Are you a craft brew guy Chris? I'd love to check out some great food and better beers while there

Are you a craft brew guy Chris? I'd love to check out some great food and better beers while there

food? yes

alcohol? hell yes

I'm in

I'd like to do a nice dinner with a good wine list one night. but I'm good to do whatever the group wants to do.

food? yes

alcohol? hell yes

I'm in

I'd like to do a nice dinner with a good wine list one night. but I'm good to do whatever the group wants to do.

I'm in for a wine night as well, just don't expect me to tell you about the legs.

Once you guys figure out your accommodations I can recommend some places.

Back