Project X HandCrafted Experience Recap & Review - Time Lapse Shaft Creation

Shanewu, this was utterly an unforgettable event in every way. Hope you try for version 2.0. Great experience!

Shanewu, this was utterly an unforgettable event in every way. Hope you try for version 2.0. Great experience!

i will definitely be trying for version 2.0 and 3.0 and 4.0 and...

Special shout out to Mike, Awkward Silence here. Last year after the Cleveland Up and Down event I had the pleasure in playing with Mike on our Sunday round before heading home. He let me take some swings with his new Project X custom shaft in his current gamer. I loved it. So much that I was texting him days after wondering what the specs where and if I could get something close to what he had.

Well, unknown to me at the time, Mr. Mike shortly thereafter sent me his raw Project X shaft that he received before the outing. He offered it up to me with the promise I would never sell it if I ever found something else later. Class act by a great guy.

The time has come for me to now send her back home to CA where she belongs. I loved the shaft and I love Mike's custom job with his other one even more. Thanks again Mike for being unselfish and allowing me the pleasure to take some more swings with the Project X. You always have a place to stay if you are ever in the DFW area buddy!

I finally got a chance to see one of these in person in AL, Barry's looked fantastic, the attention to detail by Project X on these was off the charts, so cool!

I almost want to do it again! But there are lots of other cool THP Events and I want some other THPers to get in on this awesomeness!

Definitely one of the most amazing experiences ever! Would love to do it again but I'm going to pass and let some other THPer's have this incredible experience. This was all I could find the Chump Fries posted.

Ryan and Stan you guys opitimize exactly how I feel. Hopefully, you guys will be back in San Diego so we can golf again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ryan and Stan you guys optimize exactly how I feel. Hopefully, you guys will be back in San Diego so we can golf again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe me, I definitely want to get back! It's a promise!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

A timely bump

Is there anything you guys wish you had done? Or would change if you had another opportunity?

Is there anything you guys wish you had done? Or would change if you had another opportunity?

For me, no. I would of gone in a slightly different direction with my design if trademarked logos were allowed but other than that I wouldn't of changed a thing I did. I put the baseline shaft through a thorough testing, playing as often as possible and paying very close attention to all the characteristics from performance to feel. I also booked an hour driver fitting on a Trackman just to hit the baseline shaft against my then current shaft to get a comparison and get some numbers on the shaft and where I could improve. Once I got out to San Diego I had a very open mind which was so important. I trusted Don to tweak the baseline shaft to fit my needs. Last and most important I just took in the entire experience. Getting the VIP treatment we got was so special and I had so much fun getting to know the other guys and the entire Project X staff. Truly an unforgettable event that is going to exceed every expectation you have.

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to play golf Sat AM with the guys. I had to work Sat AM early, so I left right after golf Friday evening.
Otherwise, not a thing.

I guess I would have liked to have checked out a little more of downtown San Diego and La Jolla, but overall nah, I don't have any regrets. Super happy with my shaft setup - I like StanTheCaddy booked a driver fitting/LM session to get baseline shaft numbers and figure out what I needed to tweak, and the results were awesome. Loved playing Torrey North and South with the guys, and had a great time at the dinners and impromptu chill sessions.

I guess I would have liked to have checked out a little more of downtown San Diego and La Jolla, but overall nah, I don't have any regrets. Super happy with my shaft setup - I like StanTheCaddy booked a driver fitting/LM session to get baseline shaft numbers and figure out what I needed to tweak, and the results were awesome. Loved playing Torrey North and South with the guys, and had a great time at the dinners and impromptu chill sessions.

I see StanTheCaddy did a driver fitting before going to get some baseline #'s on the test shaft, I went through the entire live thread from last year and didn't see any mention of a fitting. Was there a trackman/flightscope fitting involved with your shaft? Or did Don just tweak things based on what your thoughts were on the baseline shaft?

I can't think of anything I'd change leading up to the event or during it. Glad I went out a little early and stayed a little late to see some more of San Diego.

I got in a lot of work with the test shaft prior to the event so I knew what was and wasn't working with it.

I see StanTheCaddy did a driver fitting before going to get some baseline #'s on the test shaft, I went through the entire live thread from last year and didn't see any mention of a fitting. Was there a trackman/flightscope fitting involved with your shaft? Or did Don just tweak things based on what your thoughts were on the baseline shaft?

Personally I would go the opposite. Us THPers change heads, so for me, since a baseline shaft is in place, you know what you like and what you see. The fitting for me personally, would lead to me second guessing my custom shaft, which I would never want to do.

Golfers are a mental bunch, and most of the skill levels here, know what they like to see out of ball flight and like to feel during the swing. We miss a little bit too (not in the internet), so I personally prefer this method for an event and shaft such as this. Don would be happy to go over numbers with people however.

Personally I would go the opposite. Us THPers change heads, so for me, since a baseline shaft is in place, you know what you like and what you see. The fitting for me personally, would lead to me second guessing my custom shaft, which I would never want to do.

Golfers are a mental bunch, and most of the skill levels here, know what they like to see out of ball flight and like to feel during the swing. We miss a little bit too (not in the internet), so I personally prefer this method for an event and shaft such as this. Don would be happy to go over numbers with people however.

That'll be an interesting dilemma for me as the time gets closer. I'm not as adept as other THPers at judging ball flight by eye. There seem to be many who can look at a ball and say "little spinny" or "low launch". Outside of extremes, like under 7* or a pop up, all I can really judge is peak height, so I don't really know if I am getting great launch with mid spin, or low launch with high spin.

i know it's 100% up to us what we do, but are you saying that if you were in the mix in this event you would not put the baseline shaft on your flightscope? you would just go by feel and eye test? if that's what you're saying, i think i agree.

my initial reaction was to go to my fitter here in town to get numbers (like i did with the other shaft testing i was chosen to do). but from what i understand about the process, it's more about talking to don about what we did and didn't like throughout range and on-course testing, and tweaking the conceptual final product in something like cad then sending it to production. so since the conceptual work is all about feel and eye test, i think it makes sense to stick with that as baseline testing.

That's correct, no trackman/flightscope fitting involved in the event. Don takes your input on what you liked and didn't like about the feel and the flight and uses his considerable expertise to make changes to the shaft design in his calculation model.

I went beforehand to get numbers with the test shaft and selected head, and used that to help make my decisions on what needed to change. JB has some good points about second guessing things and changing heads, but at least for me, I have to respectfully disagree. I personally don't trust my eye a whole lot when it comes to trajectory decisions - numerous times I've thought I had good results, only to find out that a different trajectory was really optimum. I felt that for me, the LM data helped me decide what to do when making changes to the test shaft profile (which turned out to be a slightly softer flex and slightly more active tip, while keeping weight similar).

That being said, there were several guys who did it completely without LM data and also ended up with really great setups for them, so honestly it's just going to depend on you. Like JB said, the important thing is that you don't muddy the waters and second guess your custom shaft, because you only get one chance to create a setup this awesome. So if you're a data guy like me, go right ahead and get a LM session once you get your tester, and if you're not, then go completely by feel. You're gonna end up with an awesome setup either way I'm certain!

That'll be an interesting dilemma for me as the time gets closer. I'm not as adept as other THPers at judging ball flight by eye. There seem to be many who can look at a ball and say "little spinny" or "low launch". Outside of extremes, like under 7* or a pop up, all I can really judge is peak height, so I don't really know if I am getting great launch with mid spin, or low launch with high spin.

Im happy to play a round leading up to it when a test shaft is available to give you a second set of eyes.

i know it's 100% up to us what we do, but are you saying that if you were in the mix in this event you would not put the baseline shaft on your flightscope? you would just go by feel and eye test? if that's what you're saying, i think i agree.

my initial reaction was to go to my fitter here in town to get numbers (like i did with the other shaft testing i was chosen to do). but from what i understand about the process, it's more about talking to don about what we did and didn't like throughout range and on-course testing, and tweaking the conceptual final product in something like cad then sending it to production. so since the conceptual work is all about feel and eye test, i think it makes sense to stick with that as baseline testing.

Only 5 swings so I would have peak height average. Otherwise, I am in the camp that it is crazy over-analyzed by some in chasing spin numbers when it is highly changing depending on strike. Don talked about high launch and low spin in the THP Radio Podcast we had with him and I think said it better than I can.

I agree we are a mental bunch, I know what I like to see and feel, but I'm not an expert. Heck even the shaft I am playing now I really like but I have zero numbers on it. Is it spinning enough? Is it launching high enough? Could I get more out of something different? I have no idea! LOL I'm not saying its necessary, I was just curious. I don't think a fitting would lead me to 2nd guess my custom shaft though I think I fitting would reassure me this is the absolute best shaft for my swing ever! I would never have to second guess again.

I agree we are a mental bunch, I know what I like to see and feel, but I'm not an expert. Heck even the shaft I am playing now I really like but I have zero numbers on it. Is it spinning enough? Is it launching high enough? Could I get more out of something different? I have no idea! LOL I'm not saying its necessary, I was just curious. I don't think a fitting would lead me to 2nd guess my custom shaft though I think I fitting would reassure me this is the absolute best shaft for my swing ever! I would never have to second guess again.

This was exactly my logic. I'm a numbers guy and an engineer by training, so it makes me feel much more certain when I have numbers to back up my decision.

Like I said, either way will work, it just depends on how your brain works. If you're a numbers guy have at it!

I didnt use any data when creating my shaft. during my testing I was getting a lot of really high balls and losing a touch of distance, the shaft was also a little heavier that I would have liked. We stiffened of the tip and lightened the material and out came a perfect shaft for me.

One of the hardest things to do is to accurately describe how you want a particular shaft to feel. Don and those guys gave me exactly what I asked for.

He basically built a better version of the Rogue shaft than the one that I was playing at the time in my XR Pro. Every good driver of the ball that has tried my shaft (alez367 and Spicoli especially) absolutely bombed my driver. Spicoli at the Kentwool kickoff was getting lower spin number than the G30 (or maybe G) LS Tec with whatever shaft it had in it. In hind-sight I should have asked for even higher launch than what I got because I hit the ball so low, but Don gave me exactly what I asked for.

One of the things I can suggest is hitting tons of shafts if the test shaft just doesn't feel right to you. Let's say you love the feel of a Oban Kiyoshi Gold or a Matrix White Tie or whatever. Don is so good at what he does that he can look up the specs on that shaft (butt/mid/tip stiffness plus the bend profile), take your thoughts about what you'd like in terms of launch and spin, and make you exactly what you want.

Other things I would have done differently:
1. Gotten rid of any proof of mine and Barry's lady and the tramp moment we had at dinner
2. Tried harder not to have scarred Don so much that he still has nightmares
3. Describe my shaft to the girl who interviewed differently than like a teenage boy would answering questions
4. Gotten some takeout at Giorgino's to enjoy that place for a 2nd time
5. Relax more playing extra rounds (man I played bad that trip)
6. Not let alez367 hit my custom shaft and make me feel inadequate as a man
7. Add more days to the trip because it was awesome

For me I don't really get crazy over numbers. I did the fitting more to validate what I saw on the course. It actually put my mind at ease knowing the numbers did validate what I saw on the course. It gave me the confidence that when I was talking to Don I was providing him with accurate information. I didn't tell Don when we were designing my shaft what my average peak height, spin numbers, launch angle, etc was when I got on a Trackman. That wasn't my goal and didn't go into the fitting with Don with a bunch of numbers. I did tell him what I saw on the course and on the monitor were consistent; spin was good, needed a little higher launch. Everyone is different but for me I'm glad I got on a monitor.

nice write up Chumpy McChumpface

i think i'm going to take a different approach to this than my analytical side would normally do. i'm going to take the testing seriously on the range and the course, but at px i'm just going to trust fall into db's arms. he's the man and i all i need to do is get out of my own way. i'm so freaking excited about this!

nice write up Chumpy McChumpface

i think i'm going to take a different approach to this than my analytical side would normally do. i'm going to take the testing seriously on the range and the course, but at px i'm just going to trust fall into db's arms. he's the man and i all i need to do is get out of my own way. i'm so freaking excited about this!
I spent more time worrying about the design then I did the actual make up of the shaft. I think for me the tester was already so close to something I would play that for me the fitting was easier.

Back