Puma Phantomcat Nitro Golf Shoes

I have been wearing the pair that I picked up around the house this evening. They are super comfortable, right out of the box. The leather is already breaking in and feels quite soft. I think that they are a high quality shoe. If the spike/traction system works out on the course, the shoe is an absolute winner.

I want to get these in hand and try out. Not available here yet, but I'll definitely get a pair. I've worn spikeless for th epast 5 or so years, but this might be something nicely in between.

I want to get these in hand and try out. Not available here yet, but I'll definitely get a pair. I've worn spikeless for th epast 5 or so years, but this might be something nicely in between.
I bet you get some cool shoes in September too. Won't hurt to have a pair of these for your lead up though!

I bet you get some cool shoes in September too. Won't hurt to have a pair of these for your lead up though!
I'm sure I will! But that's the tail end of my season and I know I'll need at least one new pair this year.

It looks like the cleats might be more comfortable than many yo walk on and give great traction still.

Saw these shoes in the wild last week @ GolfGalaxy. Great looking shoe. I'm skeptical about the spikes if I'm being totally honest
Skeptical about what specifically?

Skeptical about what specifically?
The actual spike itself and its ability to grip better than a traditional spike of round nature. Dont get me wrong......they look cool. Theyre eye catching. I just dont know if they can or will do anything better. Different is fun. Different isnt always a better option (especially for traction purposes) Take for example, spikeless shoes. More comfy....yes. thats about it.

Im not saying they dont provide better traction somehow. Im just saying im skeptical. 🤷‍♂️

The actual spike itself and its ability to grip better than a traditional spike of round nature. Dont get me wrong......they look cool. Theyre eye catching. I just dont know if they can or will do anything better. Different is fun. Different isnt always a better option (especially for traction purposes) Take for example, spikeless shoes. More comfy....yes. thats about it.

Im not saying they dont provide better traction somehow. Im just saying im skeptical. 🤷‍♂️
Oh they provide great traction. Better? I mean I don't know. Probably a little individual with how you use the ground. I definitely think they get into the greens less, while working like normal spikes during the swing.

1000059874.jpg

They don't stick out as much as some but definitely get a bite. I'm wearing them again today.

Oh they provide great traction. Better? I mean I don't know. Probably a little individual with how you use the ground. I definitely think they get into the greens less, while working like normal spikes during the swing.

View attachment 9246498

They don't stick out as much as some but definitely get a bite. I'm wearing them again today.
You need to use some Mr Clean pads on these to clean them up and get rid of all the blue stuff! :)

You need to use some Mr Clean pads on these to clean them up and get rid of all the blue stuff! :)
I kind of get that on all of my shoes.

I have worn a pair of these shoes around the office this week, breaking them in for real golf. I know that every foot has its own needs, but for my foot, these feel awesome. I am going to be using them for golf this weekend in will be able to provide more thoughts on how stable they are for real golf swings.

I have worn a pair of these shoes around the office this week, breaking them in for real golf. I know that every foot has its own needs, but for my foot, these feel awesome. I am going to be using them for golf this weekend in will be able to provide more thoughts on how stable they are for real golf swings.
Do you find golf shoes need to be broken in? I have never done that before. Also I need to try these again, when I first tried them on I didn't find them as comfortable as I have come to expect from Puma.

Do you find golf shoes need to be broken in? I have never done that before. Also I need to try these again, when I first tried them on I didn't find them as comfortable as I have come to expect from Puma.
Sometimes for me, the top of the shoe wears an abrasion into my skin around the low ankle area and if I wear them a bit beforehand, it softens them up. I also have fairly flat feet and the arches can be uncomfortable. With a new pair, I like to see how that feels before I get out on the course.

To me, there are two lines of Puma shoes, the Ignite-type footbed and the line that is like the ProAdapt. To me, this Phantomcat Nitro line is much like the ProAdapt in terms of how the footbed feels. That line of shoes has always fit my foot well, so it doesn’t surprise me that I really like this new release.

I love the looks of these but having wide feet I'm afraid these will not work for me. We need more golf manufacturers to cater to people with wide feet aside from New Balance. :(

I love these and thinking about picking up a pair. For those that own them already, Is this a spikeless show that you wear to the course? Or is this something you put on at the course? lol I know this sounds silly but I wear spikeless a lot when I practice or play with the kids as it’s quick and easy.

I love the looks of these but having wide feet I'm afraid these will not work for me. We need more golf manufacturers to cater to people with wide feet aside from New Balance. :(
There is a wide version. Look it up on the Cobra website (Puma).

I love these and thinking about picking up a pair. For those that own them already, Is this a spikeless show that you wear to the course? Or is this something you put on at the course? lol I know this sounds silly but I wear spikeless a lot when I practice or play with the kids as it’s quick and easy.
I wore mine to work to help break them in. It wasn’t an issue.

I wore these today for a real round of golf. They are fantastic. They grip great with plenty of stability. I have posted previously that they feel very comfortable to me and my opinion did not change after wearing them for 18 holes of golf.

Last edited:
Saw these at the store today and really like them in person. Tried them on and the comfort seemed good.

I mean it's not a spikeless like the Asics or ones similar. I don't picture it as a sneaker that doubles as a golf shoe. The spikes don't protrude a lot, but they're there. And they're not especially quiet.

There is a wide version. Look it up on the Cobra website (Puma).
Yes, but according to a previous post the wide isn't really "wide". :(

Okay I wore these today in challenging conditions. (Flooded swamp)

1. I was limping like heck and in pain from a fall last night, and they were great. Effective but gentle.

2. Yeah I really don't think they're meant for any off course wear. Like I said the Flexspike is actually pretty hard plastic. The entire sole is. And I just about busted my ass on the clubhouse floor even though I was being careful.

3. My right heel has a huge chunk missing from an accident a few days ago and all my shoes rest right against it. I'm basically collecting bloody shoes at home. And I was a little scared to wear these because even though these have been noticeably better Puma golf shoes haven't historically been a friend to my heels. Happy to report that went wonderfully today. Didn't rub too much. Surprisingly comfortable. Didn't even have to change the bandage. Which was great.

1. I was limping like heck and in pain from a fall last night, and they were great. Effective but gentle.

2. Yeah I really don't think they're meant for any off course wear. Like I said the Flexspike is actually pretty hard plastic. The entire sole is. And I just about busted my ass on the clubhouse floor even though I was being careful.

3. My right heel has a huge chunk missing from an accident a few days ago and all my shoes rest right against it. I'm basically collecting bloody shoes at home. And I was a little scared to wear these because even though these have been noticeably better Puma golf shoes haven't historically been a friend to my heels. Happy to report that went wonderfully today. Didn't rub too much. Surprisingly comfortable. Didn't even have to change the bandage. Which was great.
1710550284960.jpeg
Glad you aren’t banged up too much.

Tried these on today and I really liked them. Not as comfortable as my Fasten8s but still pretty comfortable. They had a nice casual look too.

The spikes are interesting. They felt grippy but didn’t look like they would tear up a green

I wore my Phantomcats yesterday, walking 18 holes. They were very comfortable. The stability and traction continue to be top notch. They shoes are fantastic.

Great to hear. Try the brand Compede band-aids. Life changing comfort for your heels with blisters, etc.

Back