Putt With A Line - Sell It

I wouldn't be able to do that. Too many lines makes me watch my putter head going back. Also, as you and others have mentioned when I had a line on the ball it was too fussy to get it lined up and then I didn't trust it anyway. Speed control was worse as well. Now I just pick an intermediate target on the green to square up to, take a look at the hole and then go. I don't even try to roll the putt over the target I picked, I just trust that I lined myself up they way I wanted to and try to make a good stroke. Less fuss seems to mean more made putts for me. YMMV.

You know, I thought this too... But I've gotta say, between the 3/4 putters I messed with during my trip to Florida, I was shocked at how quickly I got comfortable with all the line support.

And I've been a single top line dot with nothing on the ball guy for a couple years now.

I've putted for an awful long time without any sort of alignment aid on the ball.

Sell me on why I should use a line or alignment element.
The only putter that helps me align is the seemore riflescope. I've never used a line to putt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I started using a line in practice to see if I was pushing/pulling my putts because my putting was horrid. I found that I was cutting across the ball and pushing almost everything. I started using it on the course and putting has improved. I do not however use the line on long putts. I found I was falling in love with the line and always leaving putts embarrassingly short.

I would sell you back on no line on the ball.
I used to put a line on all of the balls and use them for alignment.
But that led to me questioning if I had the line perfectly at my aim point.
So, I gave up the lines and went to putting with no alignment on the ball at all.
My putting improved greatly.
I've seen too many players adjust and re-adjust the ball with lines on them to try and get that perfect alignment.
This too adds to slow play.

#BanTheLine

I used to take the time to mark, line, etc. Now I just make a quick dot to mark my ball, but I still just use whatever alignment or model is already on the ball.

I've tried using a single alignment line before and felt like it was wrong when I would stand over the ball at address so I stopped pretty quickly.

However the 3 lines of the ERC seem s to help me with a flaw I have on my stroke where I take the club way to far inside on the takeaway. Following the 3 lines straight back seems to help with that.

And I've learned that I really dislike an alignment line on my putter. A sight dot is preferred these days.

I will tell you why I use one.

When I line up my putt, I get the line I want to hit, and put the ball down with the aid aiming down that line. I am now done looking at the line I want to hit and only concentrate on speed.

I look down, align my putter to the alignment line, and stroke, doing all I can to make sure putter meets ball in line. It keeps me from second guessing myself, and eliminates one thought out of my head in the process.

On a positive note, I usually get to practice this at least 2 times per hole.

Post the image that you have of the Spider X along with the ERC Soft and it looks like its impossible to miss your target. I felt the same way with the Marxman and ERC.
And like you, I have always used just white.

impossible is nothing. you've seen me putt.

Seeing it roll end over end is very satisfying somehow even if the putt doesn't drop.

This is the underrated part of using some sort of alignment aid, when you stroke one properly.

When I line up my putt, I get the line I want to hit, and put the ball down with the aid aiming down that line. I am now done looking at the line I want to hit and only concentrate on speed.

I look down, align my putter to the alignment line, and stroke, doing all I can to make sure putter meets ball in line. It keeps me from second guessing myself, and eliminates one thought out of my head in the process.

This x100.

I just need to trust my reads a little more and stick to my line.

I use the alignment line on the ball for 2 reasons when putting:

1) I pick my spot for where I am aiming, line up the line to that spot with the alignment line on my putter and it removes doubt I have on my read. Just trust that is the spot that I want to putt to.

2) I try to keep my eyes on a fixed spot, and will focus on letters or a word on the alignment line.

It has worked well for me, but not sure it is for anyone else.

I always struggle with the alignment lines and second guess that I am aimed right after I'm over the ball. So, I tend to turn the ball so nothing is showing. I'm curious to try the triple track to see if it helps me with this, as it looks like it frames the line you're aiming on better. I'm still a bit hesitant but definitely planning to at least give it an open minded shot.

I always struggle with the alignment lines and second guess that I am aimed right after I'm over the ball. So, I tend to turn the ball so nothing is showing. I'm curious to try the triple track to see if it helps me with this, as it looks like it frames the line you're aiming on better. I'm still a bit hesitant but definitely planning to at least give it an open minded shot.

Next time we meet up I’ll bring my stencil for you to try.

Seeing this pop up again makes me regret being lazy and not marking my golfball anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time we meet up I’ll bring my stencil for you to try.

Seeing this pop up again makes me regret being lazy and not marking my golfball anymore.

I've tried a single line and just have a mental thing about not trusting it. I don't know why, it messes with me.

Why? To reduce the amount of time spent waiting on the group ahead at the following tee box.

I find people who have the lines on their ball tend, on average, to take far longer lining up their putt. I don't see them being any more accurate. But that is purely anecdotal of course. What I do suspect you will find is the majority of people who do the lines swear by them and there is a lot of money changing hands to buy devices making the lines...and like many training "aids" for sports, I suspect their biggest aid is transferring money from the population to their pocketses. Nasty, tricksy hobbitses.

This is why I like balls with a visible seam - alignment is already built in

I can't sell you on it. I find adhering to the line on the ball only will result in poor pace control (speaking only for myself) but it does serve as a nice alignment check as you assume your stance.

This is 100% my problem. I become so focused on the line that I forget about pace. And then I leave that perfectly straight putt 4 feet short...

This is 100% my problem. I become so focused on the line that I forget about pace. And then I leave that perfectly straight putt 4 feet short...

Exactly, me too. I’d rather cozy it up as close as possible and not have the perfect line than the perfect line and no speed control. I’m hopeful someday I’ll be a good putter but until that day, speed wins for me

I line up the line at the cup regardless of break. It’s just a little mental check for alignment of feet and putter not being catastrophically off

The more I think about this and realize I’m not the only one where a line screws with my head makes me think I’ll stick to my plan.

I seem to putt best when I pick a spot on the green about a foot ahead of the ball and align to that. The problem is I like doing a few practice strokes to feel pace and I generally lose that spot when I do this.

My goal would be to continue to use the spot but incorporate a method where I don’t lose the spot during my practice strokes.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

The more I think about this and realize I’m not the only one where a line screws with my head makes me think I’ll stick to my plan.

I seem to putt best when I pick a spot on the green about a foot ahead of the ball and align to that. The problem is I like doing a few practice strokes to feel pace and I generally lose that spot when I do this.

My goal would be to continue to use the spot but incorporate a method where I don’t lose the spot during my practice strokes.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Maybe pick a brighter off color blade of grass, or a more noticeable feature? I don't know the answer, as I also have this issue haha. I probably end of looking at the wrong spot half of the time, and don't even know it.

I just started using a line during my practice and also picked up a dozen ERC to try. I haven't tried the ERC yet but will be trying them out today on the Puttout Mat and trainer.

I use an alignment line to give confidence when I step up to the ball. Sometimes I think when I go over the ball I don't have the right now or feel too open/closed. Knowing that ball is lined up perfectly helps alleviate any thoughts and I just focus on keeping my body square and make the best stroke possible. It helps me I believe.

I've putted for an awful long time without any sort of alignment aid on the ball.

Sell me on why I should use a line or alignment element.

Someone had done a study showing that there was no gain in using a line for putting. If I remember correctly, the group that didn’t use the line was actually more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why wouldn’t you aim and align the ball on the green? It’s one of the few times you can use something to help your aim. When you shoot a rifle at a distant target... you use the sights or a scope to help. Try standing 90 degrees to the side of a gun and aim it...see what you come up with.

It’s a proven human error that the putt will look different standing over the ball than from behind it. Most of us can’t aim that precisely standing over the ball, so an alignment aid is a great assist.

Back