If it fits the eye.

Can you expand? I understand head shape and physical design properties. How does color impact aim?

JB, I haven't seen anything that states a black putter will aim differently than a satin putter (although I wonder if the contrast of black against the green/satin against the green would have an effect). But we've seen putters like Never Compromise - grey and black, putters with a satin front, black flange, and then the Versa, which contrast may affect aim.

I did a google search just to update, and came across a Geoff Magnum post on color and sightlines, and needed a drink afterwards. If you've read his stuff about putting, you know what I mean...

Personally, I like the contrast of satin against the green and for me, the contrast makes it easier to aim. Although I do like a black putter ...

Last edited:
Its been scientifically proven that different colors have an effect on mood. I dont think it makes a huge difference but it makes a difference. Either way, I think its great to have choice and be able to have a putter that doesnt look exactly like what everyone else has.

I think its all personal preference. I don't think its science, its options and having options is a good thing,

Other than alignment (Versa or Smart Square) or for glare reduction, I think that colors/finishes are all personal preference

I think it's highly personal but I like the way a black putter frames the ball and the white sight line really shows up. Easier to align for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've rolled black, silver, brass and chrome colored putters, but never white. I just can't get over white in a putter or a driver/fairway wood.

By and large, I feel like offering various color/finishes for putters is a matter of providing options/choices to the consumer. However, I do think some of the colors/designs can have an impact. One in particular that I thought worked OK is the Versa option Odyssey has marketed for a few seasons.

I currently own a black, satin, red, oil can, raw, and versa putter and I don't think the colors themselves affect performance.
I certainly develop more comfort or emotional connection with certain colors though. Right now I think my bright red Itsy Bitsy Spider LTD is hideous, but man do I make more putts with it.

I love my black/red/black versa. I like how the dark red contrasts with the green and the (usually yellow) ball. I ain't tearing up any courses lately, but I'm putting pretty damn well.

Back