Putting feel and sound. Experimenting with SC weights.

vitalesan

Reaction score
Handicap
So I've been experimenting lately after customizing my SC California Monterey putter. The over size matador grip is a bit heavier than a standard grip and as SC are big on swing weight, been trying some heavier weights in the head. I've been after a solid feel for a long time. The kind of feel like the Rife putters (which I think is because of the grooves minimizing face contact with the ball) seem to have; really solid. Anyway, I didn't completely screw in the weights while swapping and checking during a putting practice session and I found the feel to be amazing. It actually felt great. It has a different sound because the weights vibrated slightly at impact. It made two sounds, one being high pitched "ting" and the other being a really deep "click." I screwed them up tight and the sound was back to normal and the feel wasn't a solid. So again, loosened the weights just slightly and it was pure. What have I stumbled onto here? Has anyone experimented with their putters like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sound = feel. Everyone has a different thought on what "feels" best. I may be different than most people and can deal with different sounds from putters; I just want to be able to tell where on the face the ball makes contact. The big reason is so I can understand my misses.

Sound is indeed feel, particularly in putters.

One of my favorite things to do is put headphones/music on a person at the putting green and then have them roll 5-10 different putters and tell me what's soft or not. Then, remove the headphones and repeat, the answers are always remarkably different.

One of my favorite things to do is put headphones/music on a person at the putting green and then have them roll 5-10 different putters and tell me what's soft or not. Then, remove the headphones and repeat, the answers are always remarkably different.

I've only ever had one putter feel different while putting with headphones on. It's a strange sensation for sure.

It's all sensory related. But sound has become even more of a driver with the fatter grips on putters IMO.

Sound is feel for sure. I love my Scotty because I love the sound. Not sure I would want to have weights not tight in a putter, but if you can keep from having them fall out, go for it.

Well, to keep them in place maybe a little piece of teflon tape would make it snug enough that they wouldn't work their way out.

For putting, feel is actually "feel" for me. A well struck put has little vibration.

There's only the slightest bit of screw tension taken off the weights but it changes it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back