Putting - How good are you?

Birdman03

Reaction score
Handicap
I have seen quite a few threads where people call themselves good putters. They're probably satisfied with how they putted on a given day or feel good about how they roll it generally.

When trying to measure overall putting skill however it's not easy or straightforward. Total # of putts can be deceiving and # of 3 putts goes up as GIRs go up.

Anyway, without using apps to measure proximity or pacing off everything I think there are some meaningful stats to judge putting.

I have a few that I like but I'm interested in what other golfers use. For example:

- 1 putt %age when on in regulation
- ratio of 1 putts to 3 putts

I think without stats those can be pretty misleading. I mean less 3 putts is always great, but 1 putt percentage and any ratio using it are determined by the proximity of those putts more than if you're a good putter or not. So I let stats determine that stuff. Doesn't take much to track and get the truth on it.

Live look at my putting.
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

I find that really hard without proximity.

Prior to proximity tracking, I would use up and down percentage primarily. Not solely putting, but a good indicator to me of short game ability.

Mediocre/slightly better than average? 1.8 putts per GIR
Avg 32 Putts per round, don't 3 putt often, but don't make as many 10-12 foot putts as I feel I should. Don't mis many inside 3 ft.
Miss low or just short. Just short are usually 6" and in the heart.
But what kills me is my iron play, I just don't hit it close enough, or even the green for that matter these days.

I’m going to try and use shotscope for all my putting stats this year. So I can determine if I’m average/good/improving at putting.

I think without stats those can be pretty misleading. I mean less 3 putts is always great, but 1 putt percentage and any ratio using it are determined by the proximity of those putts more than if you're a good putter or not. So I let stats determine that stuff. Doesn't take much to track and get the truth on it.
Understood. To do the kind of stats you mention I think you need a GPS type app that always has the correct pin positions.

Proximity to the hole on approaches has a lot to do with it as well.

What do you consider good?

Understood. To do the kind of stats you mention I think you need a GPS type app that always has the correct pin positions.
Most apps just ask you to enter how far you were from a few selections quick. Takes less time to pace it off (I kind of want to know the distance I'm putting anyway) that to wait on gps to catch up. I don't obsess about it every round, but it's a good indicator of whether I'm putting well or I've just been hitting it closer. Especially over lengths of time.

I have seen quite a few threads where people call themselves good putters.
In amateur golf there are not many players who consistently put a good roll on the ball or make lots of putts, that is for sure.
A few months ago I started putting lefty and that helped remove the jitters-yips, but I am still not a consistently good putter.

According to The Grint I’m a bit better than average for my HCP. I’ve been slipping lately though because my average was below 30 for much of the year. Gotta work on eliminating those 3-putts and hitting more GIR.
IMG_4799.png

I say I am crap but honestly I am probably in the solidly average range. I probably make most of the putts I "should" statistically make and miss most of the putts that I statistically shouldn't make.

IMG_7466.png

Tour average currently is 29.15 per round. So I’d say I’m a decent putter at 31. Obviously a lot more to consider but I just look at my putts per round. Last round I played I had 27.

View attachment 9232528

Tour average currently is 29.15 per round. So I’d say I’m a decent putter at 31. Obviously a lot more to consider but I just look at my putts per round. Last round I played I had 27.
Those numbers look better than most in my experience. In that 27 putt round did you have a lot of up and downs?

Judging by my stats from all 2023 rounds (136 rounds to date), I'm an okay but not great putter. 32.4 average, and I one-putt or better 4 times for every three-putt.

Stats.png

Those numbers look better than most in my experience. In that 27 putt round did you have a lot of up and downs?
Yes. Was putting really well. Only 11% GIR. But just missed a lot of greens on the fringe so was putting just off the green with the old Texas wedge so a lot of one putts.

We have putting contests from time to time at my home course. I have actually won several of these. My place, and shows are pretty high too.

I consider myself a better than average putter........once I get on the green. In my current game, what use to be my 1st putt, are now chips, followed (hopefully) with 1 putts. 2 putts are ok, and 3 putts are not a good thing. Lip outs I just deal with.

Two numbers I don't care for when playing; 3 putts, and 6s on any hole.

The misleading stat for me is that I average less than 30 putts per round. I do see more than a few 1 putts after a good chip shot.

While we're on the subject how I count my putts deserves mentioning.

If Im off the green, and I use my putter, I don't count that as a putting stroke. It's just a stroke. However, if I putt while on the green, and the ball rolls off the green, if I use my putter from off the green, in that instance, I count it as a putt. That's the way I was taught decades ago. Not sure if that has changed when counting stats. Old school stuff.

My putting is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

I don't make enough 10-20 footers, like i make none basically. I'm probably the worst midrange putter of any + index in this hemisphere. I also will miss a 2-footer like a couple of times a year in a competition. It's embarrassing.

That being said, my putting from like 4-9 feet can be sensational, especially under pressure. In a big AM match play tourney this year if i recall i made something like 5 consecutive 6-7 footers to halve the hole, and then a 5 footer on 18 to win in front of like 500 people. I can do things like this, too.

I have seen quite a few threads where people call themselves good putters. They're probably satisfied with how they putted on a given day or feel good about how they roll it generally.

When trying to measure overall putting skill however it's not easy or straightforward. Total # of putts can be deceiving and # of 3 putts goes up as GIRs go up.

Anyway, without using apps to measure proximity or pacing off everything I think there are some meaningful stats to judge putting.

I have a few that I like but I'm interested in what other golfers use. For example:

- 1 putt %age when on in regulation
- ratio of 1 putts to 3 putts
Wouldn’t somebody who has an incredible short game have an extremely high ratio of 1 putts to 3 putts? Chipping regularly to 3 feet or closer is really going to help that one putt number.

My putting is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

I don't make enough 10-20 footers, like i make none basically. I'm probably the worst midrange putter of any + index in this hemisphere. I also will miss a 2-footer like a couple of times a year in a competition. It's embarrassing.

That being said, my putting from like 4-9 feet can be sensational, especially under pressure. In a big AM match play tourney this year if i recall i made something like 5 consecutive 6-7 footers to halve the hole, and then a 5 footer on 18 to win in front of like 500 people. I can do things like this, too.
Why do you think you are so good from 4 to 9 feet, but not as good relatively from 10 to 20? Is it distance control?

I think that relative to my index, I am a very average putter overall. I am streaky. I have some rounds where the putter is extremely hot, but day in and day out, I am not great.

Why do you think you are so good from 4 to 9 feet, but not as good relatively from 10 to 20? Is it distance control?

we have a relatively small practice green that is often crowded, i would guess it's because most of my practice is from the distance.

I also suffer from generalized cowardliness. In that from 18 feet i too often err on the side of not putting enough pace on it to hit my line, probably because, like the coward i am...i am scared of running it by

Practice practice practice, and actually playing on different greens, but you do have to make it to the green in regulation to be "good" or its bogey, or worst regardless of your putting skills. :)

Back