Putting - How good are you?

Putting is not a strength but a stat I am looking at to improve. I can tally putts per GIR, distance of putts made and strokes gain per putt distance which helps me focus on specific things.

Lately, I am averaging 1.9 putts per GIR (I am happy with this), and 55 feet of putts made. If I made ~40’ of putts during a round I know nothing dropped. If a round goes upwards of 70’, then I had a good putting round.

I find putting to be a strength of my game. My goal is always under 30 putts, but so many things can dictate the total number of putts, so I dont focus solely on that. Typically, I like to track the distance of my first and second putts, and whether I had any 3 putts, which are rare for me.

For the past two seasons I've averaged just a hair over 29 putts per round. However, I don't hit a lot of greens and get up and down a lot.

I learned in 2023 that putting is relative to one's index and course you play. # of strokes has little meaning on really difficult greens imo. I play at my new home course and look incompetent until a friend joins me or when I go to my old courses and have great days.

Wouldn’t somebody who has an incredible short game have an extremely high ratio of 1 putts to 3 putts? Chipping regularly to 3 feet or closer is really going to help that one putt number.
Yes that's the main reason that tracking just the total # of putts doesn't tell the whole story.

Also, over time it seems to me that golfers play to their skill level on all aspects of their game with occasional exceptions. Look at stats for Driving Distance, GIRs, Up/Down %age, and Putting vs. Handicap. The lower the handicap the better the golfer does all of those. Some golfers may be below their HC level in Driving Distance while being above their HC level in Up/Down %age. They will often display the excellent short game that catches our attention.

It is a bit relative to the other guys I am playing against. we usually have a putting game where we pay the low putt guy big Bucks at the end. I win a lot of times with 23 -24 putts. :cool:

I feel as though I am a better putter than what the stats say.
32.0 avg putts per round
28 lowest amount of putts for a round
26* - 1 putt
66* - 2 putt
8* - 3 putt

87* 3-6 feet this needs to be 95* +

This year up and down a lot but the last few months really got hot and been 1-2 putting quite a bit. That was huge in the APT fall season and at the GD.

There’s some good stats on ShotScope. The one I use is number of putts per GIR. I currently sit at 2. Also another fairly good stat is number of holes per 3 putt. I currently sit at 13.8. Room for improvement, but not too bad.

I don't think I putt terribly well, but also not horribly. Just meh I suppose. I hope to keep better track of stats going forward so I can get a better picture though.

First season I'd make 10ft putts for Par. This season,my 3rd, I was making 10ft+ putts for birdies! I figure that being able to make long putts when it counts is better than average.

There is an "unfair" elevated green with a lot of slope. A little tap from the high side and it rolls all the way to the fringe. I decided that 3 putts were just fine given the difficulty.
But recently, I made great lob shots that put me within 10 ft from a decent direction. Then I 2 putted both those times! On the tougher holes consistent 2 putting is only possible from certain areas of small greens.

There are times when it I find it easier to intentionally hit the ball past the hole and make a long putt coming back.

Last edited:
I made $1.50 on the putting green at my course yesterday afternoon.:)

Weakest part of my game, especially considering how consistent my stroke can be. I’m mental and can’t seem to read greens to the needed extent. I burn an insane amount of edges.

I have seen quite a few threads where people call themselves good putters. They're probably satisfied with how they putted on a given day or feel good about how they roll it generally.

When trying to measure overall putting skill however it's not easy or straightforward. Total # of putts can be deceiving and # of 3 putts goes up as GIRs go up.

Anyway, without using apps to measure proximity or pacing off everything I think there are some meaningful stats to judge putting.

I have a few that I like but I'm interested in what other golfers use. For example:

- 1 putt %age when on in regulation
- ratio of 1 putts to 3 putts
I was always 2-3 plus strokes gained in arccos. I often have low number of putt rounds, but can also say I didn't use arccos this last season so am not 100% sure how that portion of my game has translated outside of General perception.

I Definitely need to improve, would I say I'm great NO would I say I'm bad also NO, I do always find it hard when greens are running slow though, that is a killer for me

For the year, I broke even with a 10 handicap according to ShotScope.

1703787790074.png

For the year, I broke even with a 10 handicap according to ShotScope.

View attachment 9232899
That's very interesting - very little variation from average of all 10 HCs over all distance categories.

How do your Driving and Approach games compare?

My range is 30-33 ,

with pb of 27. Which was during monthly comp . lol and got beaten by a 24 ( I think there was some dodgy accounting practices in the 24)

Occasionally shoot a higher number but that more green based - wet green or aeration or just damaged surface

That's very interesting - very little variation from average of all 10 HCs over all distance categories.

How do your Driving and Approach games compare?
1703789950038.png

Short game is roughly 1.5 shots better this year than last.

I have not looked at my Shot Scope stats in a while, but my putting has been strong this year and was the strongest part of my game at The Grandaddy. I worked hard at it and was glad it showed up when it mattered. No 3 putts in 36 holes of competition and made lots of putts from 10 feet and in.

I'm average to bad. Lost a lot of strokes to bad putting this year. Too many 3 putts.

Back