Putting - How good are you?

My approach putting is really good. It's those putts from 6-10 feet that I don't sink many of.

IMO… You need to keep track of GIR to tell how good or not good of a putter you are.

If you miss greens and have little chips it is very likely to chip within 1 putt range more times than not.

If you hit every green the likelihood of being within 1 putt range falls dramatically.

If your course is the typical muni style course with small greens you most likely miss a lot of greens and have a lot of short chips and fewer putts per round.

If you play more resort style courses with large greens, your GIR most likely goes up as well as your number of 2 or even 3 putts.

IMO… You need to keep track of GIR to tell how good or not good of a putter you are.

If you miss greens and have little chips it is very likely to chip within 1 putt range more times than not.

If you hit every green the likelihood of being within 1 putt range falls dramatically.

If your course is the typical muni style course with small greens you most likely miss a lot of greens and have a lot of short chips and fewer putts per round.

If you play more resort style courses with large greens, your GIR most likely goes up as well as your number of 2 or even 3 putts.

This is spot on. I play a lot of Par 3 golf with greens that are 15 to 18 yards wide/deep. Over 100s of rounds I have averaged 30 putts per round with 9 GIR.

My regular home course has greens 30 to 40 yards wide/deep. There I average 34 putts per round with 8 GIR and 2 3 putts. My GIR %age is lower compared to the Par 3 course, (even though the greens are much larger) because I'm hitting a lot of long approach shots and I have occasional punch-outs and forced lay-ups.

I didn't originally realize that 3 putts definitely increase as you hit more greens, because back then I didn't hit many greens. So total # of putts and # of 3 putts aren't that important for me.

I do however look closely at 1 putt %age when on in regulation. In my Par 3 league seasons I have been the birdie leader several times when that number was over 20%.

Back