PXG 0311t irons - unofficial review

What's the wedge run? $350?

Got my 8, 9, P heads and shafted them with the DG AMT TI x100.
In hand very nice look with no cavities or badges; screws barely visible against the black finish.
Minor offset in the short irons.
Very well done.

Plan to hit some range balls soon....

View attachment 24179

View attachment 24180

WINNER!

I discussed my displeasure with the new Titleist T-MB irons here:

"I purchased the Titleist T-MB irons and liked the looks of them with the purported forgiveness due to the flex face and void behind it.
I found that I hit the shorter irons higher than what I was accustomed to having...with the x100 shaft!
I also found that the mid to shorter irons were firmer/harder feeling than I wanted when compared to a blade looking iron.

http://pluggedingolf...b-irons-review/
"Perhaps the most disappointing element of the Titleist 716 T-MB irons is the feel. When a club has the look of a muscle back, you expect a soft, pure feeling, but even centered shots with the T-MB feel firm. Mishits go right past firm and enter the realm of feeling harsh."

So, what to do. Then I found this review by FairwayFred in another forum:

"I have a set of 0311Ts and a set of Titleist T-MBs and just recently decided to bag the T-MB over the 0311T. I had 3 long sessions on trackman and took them both onto the golf course and hit them back to back. They were setup the same with the same specs, lofts, shaft etc.
It was a very close call.
The T-MB for me go higher and about a half club longer. They are more forgiving on thin mishits.
The 0311Ts look a little better with a smaller profile and less offset. They also feel better and more like a traditional forging. They lack a little bit of the feedback of a traditional forging as they feel basically the same no matter where on the face you hit them.
I got great ball speed from both sets. I think I hit the T-MB further because I'm a low ball hitter and they go a little higher.
At the end of the day I could have played either set and been very happy but went for the little better performance over the more traditional looks and feel that I prefer."

Well there we go...the PXG is going to be a little lower and have a softer feel....BINGO just what I was looking for in a change from then T-MB with the SAME look of a MB iron!"

Just got back from the club's range and hit a large bucket of balls off soft mats.
The two issues I noted above with the T-MBs were:
1. Hit the medium and short irons higher than I normally do with same spec irons/shafts;
2. Much firmer/harder feeling in the heads than what I expected.

Now after hitting the PXG 0311T 8, 9, and PW I can say both of these issues are gone! I hit the PXG about the same distance as the T-MB.

The PXG has a lower trajectory and the feel is much more of a MB softness across the face. Off center hits are not as good but still quite good feeling.

The remaining 3-7 irons are ordered and will be here in a week.

.........VERY PLEASED WITH THESE IRONS......and for me worth the effort to find an iron that improved over the T-MB, which I really liked the looks of but just didn't have that "right" feel and result.

The irons are complete now with the addition of the 3-7 irons. I do see some wear on the PW, but when it gets to bad to look at it will be replaced and placed into the Range Bag with a fresh PW in the Gamer Bag.

Ordered the 50* and 56* 0311 wedges in Xtreme Dark finish as well.

View attachment 24293

I had a chance to hit a dozen shots with an 0311 8 iron yesterday on the range and they had a very nice feel and seemed forgiving in my very limited time with it. To me there was nothing magical about them, just another really great iron with some cool technology. The feel was soft and muted but not better than my Wilson Staff V2's. I might consider them as a retirement gift for myself in a couple years but right now I need to finish working through my swing changes before buying anything new.

I had a chance to hit a dozen shots with an 0311 8 iron yesterday on the range and they had a very nice feel and seemed forgiving in my very limited time with it. To me there was nothing magical about them, just another really great iron with some cool technology. The feel was soft and muted but not better than my Wilson Staff V2's. I might consider them as a retirement gift for myself in a couple years but right now I need to finish working through my swing changes before buying anything new.

Agree - soft feel, muted. Lately, I've hit non-fitted 7i in my instructor's demo bag, and during my fitting, the 7i and shaft I will play - but that was over two weeks ago. I am expecting my 0311 irons with Mitsu OT 75 next week. What's special about them, from instructors and fitters, is the ballspeed. Asked my fitter to get ready to add the 6i - the swing has improved with lessons and better tempo. It might be a worthwhile investment in the bag. Adjusting the hybrids to 23.5 and 26.5. to accommodate. Fun times for the maturing golfer.

The irons are complete now with the addition of the 3-7 irons. I do see some wear on the PW, but when it gets to bad to look at it will be replaced and placed into the Range Bag with a fresh PW in the Gamer Bag.

-----------------------

Have the completed bag now and with the wedges set at 46, 50,55, 60.
Finest irons I have ever used.

View attachment 24796

-----------------------

Have the completed bag now and with the wedges set at 46, 50,55, 60.
Finest irons I have ever used.

View attachment 24796

Congrats. Did not go full bore but the 0311s arrived on Saturday. Stared at them all weekend. Haven't hit them. Must take pics first. Ordering the 6i...

Hit these at the fitter who reps them here in town. Was really excited to see/feel the hype. Maybe I was just excited , but the hype felt real to me. I went in to hit the BH PTX and while he was asking me questions handed me a 0311 6i with aero tech steel fibers. I had no clue they were supposed to be "that" forgiving as I had written these off due to the pricing long ago. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to pay $2700 for a set of clubs that doesn't end up in visitation rights to see my kids.

So got to spend a little time with this today...

d2b54acb10dd98e87be36b6f1a9f68ef.jpg

It does sound/feel extremely soft. There's no debate about that from me. They seemed to stay a little straighter for me as well where my 716 mb would be a little further off line when if I over worked it these seemed to stay a little closer to my intended line. Flight seemed extremely similar to my current and distance from the naked eye seemed to be similar as well. Over all they're great feeling clubs but for $350 a club it just won't ever happen for this guy.

Last edited:
My dad has a bag full of these now. And raves about the same thing your saying. He also loves the distance he gets off them. His words "I'm in my 70's I need all the help I can get"

My dad has a bag full of these now. And raves about the same thing your saying. He also loves the distance he gets off them. His words "I'm in my 70's I need all the help I can get"
Without a lauch monitor it's hard to say for distance I was thinking they were landing in the same area pretty much.

Without a lauch monitor it's hard to say for distance I was thinking they were landing in the same area pretty much.

I'll get a sense of what he's talking at the end of March. A week on the RTJ trail will show me all I need to see. Hahaha.

After my fitter came out of a long fitting I had him set me up with the same setup as Jimmy. I share similar sentiments about feel and dispersion. It was wet and foggy here today so anything beyond 150 was hard to see where balls were landing. Compared to 716 CB with S400 AMT tour issue, same clubs with recoil 110 and miura Cb57 with modus 105 this flight on the 7i was similar to the 716 with s400 and lower than the other two options. They are as soft as the 716 bit not quite go the miura.

I was seeing mishits that were 3-5 yds offline of target where the miuras are more in the 5+ range. At address they are similar to what I remember from some gi offerings but not as thick on the topline, definitely bigger than I would expect from a players iron and wasn't really bothered by it and like the look.

While $350 a club is currently out of the equation there is a chance I could see having a set at some point

It's just my personal opinion but while these are decent clubs but at the price range I can own 2 sets of more preferred irons by me. Sounds awesome coming from a guy who owned 2 sets of these for less than 2 weeks total

Fantastic set of irons, congrats! I've hit them a few times on the range and they are everything I would ever need in an iron. IMO, they are worth $300 per club. I plan on asking my wife for a set for my retirement gift in a couple years. I'd rather have a set of PXG's than another watch!

Why don't BMW incorporate these in financing of a car. That way you could drive away from the links HAPPY!

Those are some beautiful irons. I would some day like to hit some but I'm afraid if I did and they performed...ouch!

I'd really like the look of these if they inverse the colours , black head with chrome/silver screws

I've had my Gen1 0311T's for about a month now and I'm very happy with them. I got them for about what I'd pay per iron from any other common OEM, but with a shaft that most other OEM's charge extra for (TI X100). The most interesting thing so far is that I hit these nearly the exact same distances as my previous set (Srixon Z565,Z765 combo), despite them being "tour"/players irons and smaller/thinner than the Srixons. I assume that means there is something too the filling inside the PXG iron heads.

The T model is supposed to be their lowest launching version, but I don't visually notice them launching any lower or the peak height being any lower. However, I have a slight early release and end up with a pretty neutral attack angle so the height is more likely a result of my own swing fault.

The other interesting thing about these is that I can't seem to hook them. My mis-hit was a pretty bad hook with my last irons, that was more pronounced as the irons got longer. I'm tending the hit these slightly to the right/blocked. There is less off set in the 0311T's compared to my Srixon's so I assume that is the reason why - even though some will say that offset doesn't cause hooks. Maybe the lack of offset helps with my setting up the club head better at address. Either way, these look like they want to go straight at address. I also really struggled to hit a fade with my last irons and so far I'm able to get a slight fade out of these when I attempt them on the range.

Finally, these look really good and are definitely head turners at the course/range. My only complaint is that the little screws attract dirt, especially in wet/muddy conditions. So they take a little extra effort to clean. If I had a chance to do it over, I would still purchase these clubs.

Did a fitting for these yesterday... Unreal! PX LZ 6.5 shaft, picked-up 8 and 7 yards of dispersion (front to back, side to side). Took my left miss away as well!!!! Great irons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I bought mine I ordered them stock loft/lie despite playing my last Srixon’s 1.5 degrees flatter. I’ve only been able to get out a lot to play recently since getting them because the weather has been so terrible. I definitely had a tendency to miss more left and more often. So I took them to get adjusted yesterday and learned that all of the irons were exactly 1* strong, as if intentional. The wedges were all strong to varying degrees as well. Most of the lies were on point with the irons, but the wedges were all a hair flat from standard. I also noticed that a few of the clubs had a small space between the ferrule and hosel. They are firmly in place, so they must have came that way and I just didn’t notice.

All that is to say, that even an “upscale” product like this apparently churns out too fast to guarantee perfect loft/lie. I’m going to check the swing weight this week because I’m curious about that now as well too. This isn’t to say they are worse off than any other OEM. Because I’ve never had a single set that was 100% to spec.

On the bright side, I took the irons to the range yesterday and they much better for me after bending them 2* flat.

ETA - I don’t mind the look of the screws, but they are a pain to clean when mud/dirt gets into them.

I just received a set a week ago. Ordered them all 1* strong and 1* up. First thing I did was check the loft, lie and swing weight and each iron was spot on. First set iron set from any manufacturer I have ever received that were all spot on. I’m loving them so far!

Back