Questions for tall players

Unrelated to club length, but just reading this thread, THP could have a helluva pick-up basketball team.
This is true...

I am 6'3" i play my Irons +1 2up and wedges +1 1up and woods are standard

Short guy at 6 ft, but play my irons +.50" Standard lie, all woods at standard L/L/L just more comfortable for me this way.

I'm 6'6". One thing to be careful of: lengths of clubs, loft, and lie all vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even within sets from the same OEM, so for someone to be playing at +1", that shouldn't be the case for every set of irons out there. Same with drivers, fairways, hybrids, and even wedges. Be careful always ordering "+2* upright and 1inch long," as you'll end up with issues. Some sets I've been over an inch extra, some less, some I've needed extra upright, the last two I haven't. One more thing. Adding and removing length changed the swing weights of clubs significantly! So if you go with a shorter set of shafts into heads you're currently playing at +1", you'll have to have weight added to the iron heads to bring them back up to swing weight. I just switched from a 47" shaft in my driver back to a 45". I had to add 20g of weight to the head to keep the swing weight the same.
Anyway.

Here's a great example. Callaway Apex (2014) vs TaylorMade RSI 1, 6 iron specs
Apex: 27* of loft, 37.5" long, 61.5* lie angle
RSI 1: 26.5* loft, 37.63" long, 62.5* lie angle

So, if a golfer says they play 1" over in each, that would not be totally correct. Moreso, if one says, "I'm 2* upright in all clubs." Well, here, that wouldn't be the case either. One club would be playing a FULL degree more up! That means more of a toe dig, and a fade to the right!

Look up the specs of each set. Be knowledgeable. No two things are EVER the same in golf!!! Stiff isn't always stiff, 2* up isn't always the same lie angle!!!!

Last edited:
6'2" play Callaway razor x tour iron plus 1 1/2" and 2* upright. driver , 4 wood and rescue are all standard.

I'm 6'3". My buddy is a master fitter and says ur arm length has more to do with it than anything. I don't have long arms but am tall and play my irons -.5, and my hybrid -1, and my driver at 39 which is very short. I'm playing my best golf of my life tho, has really helped take out my absurd amount of fat shots

6'4" and I was measured for my Ping irons at +1" and 3 degrees upright. All of my other clubs are standard.

I am 6'4, I have long arms (Dress shirt is a 36/37 sleeve). I play my irons off a 38.5 5i so could be + 1/2 or +3/4 depending on the brand and 1* up right. I play my driver at 44.5 inches and 4 wood 43 inches. I am more about control as I can put enough pop on the balls don't need the extra length.

I'm 6'4" and got fit into +1" length with 2 degrees upright for my irons. Since then I went for the same spec in the wedges but have kept standard length on woods and hybrid.

I'm 6'3". My buddy is a master fitter and says ur arm length has more to do with it than anything. I don't have long arms but am tall and play my irons -.5, and my hybrid -1, and my driver at 39 which is very short. I'm playing my best golf of my life tho, has really helped take out my absurd amount of fat shots

39" driver... Wow, definitely an outlier. I just bought a new R15 and having cut down to 44. Can't wait to see the results, hopefully good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6foot1 here but also big in some areas as well.1 1/2" and E swing weighted irons that are slow bent 4 degrees flat.Driver is a custom it Diablo Octane that cost me big bucks back in the day 1 1/2 length added E swing weight and 3 degrees flat.These were all custom fitted and the flat lie angles were for my super long arms.Easy to get extensions,but hard to find a fitter to make custom clubs flat and very heavy.The heavy is a must for tall guys,the light weight just made me over swing

Unrelated to club length, but just reading this thread, THP could have a helluva pick-up basketball team.

Out of 45,000 members (so far), some of us are tall...I'm not sure the distribution is so much greater than the general population. Not to continue the digression so much but basketball was never my best sport; I was pretty good at pushing people around and taking hits and I've got good reflexes but my speed was never great; I've the height of a guard but the weight of a power forward / center...

In regular shoes I'm 6'4"; maybe a bit more in cleats, not sure. I'm doing fine with the clubs I'm using now; I think they're stock but not really sure. There are gaps in length between club length normally anyway even in most sets.

I'm 6'4 and my irons and wedges are 1/2" long and 2 up. However, I play my driver at 44.75. I feel I have more control with a somewhat shorter driver. I play my 3 wood and 3 hybrid standard.

I am 6'1", I've been fitted to +1/2" on my irons and wedges. Hybrids, woods, and driver stock length. I have long arms and went back to standard length everything. I like the position my body is in at address with standard length, and I make better center face contact.

At 6'1" in standard all the way. Been that way

Im 6 2 and my clubs are usually .5 long and 2up and have been an inch long at times too

Im 6 2 and my clubs are usually .5 long and 2up and have been an inch long at times too

I'm 6'4 and use the same setup as Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im almost 6'3" and playing everything standard right now. Haven't been fit by anyone legit so thats something ive been contemplating as my iron striking is lacking.

I'm 6' 4

i play .5 inch over and three degrees flat on my irons. I hit standard hybrids and woods. Getting the lies adjusted was the best thing I have done (other than range time) to help my consistency with my irons.

6'4" Irons are +1.5 and 2* upright
Driver is +1
Fairway wood is standard
I hit my 3 wood really solid off the tee, struggle a bit from the fairway. I have a very upright swing, not sure if that makes a difference..

I am a high handicap golfer, 6'5" in golf shoes. Based on fittings, I am playing my irons 1 up with a 1" ext.

Reality of your fit is 1" longer and 1 degree flat. Standard change for 1 inch longer is 2 degrees up.

Questions for tall players

Reality of your fit is 1" longer and 1 degree flat. Standard change for 1 inch longer is 2 degrees up.

Okay, thanks for the info. Just referencing the fitting sheet from Callaway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 6' 4" and I just went through fitting for Mizuno and Callaway... Mizuno had me 3 up and 1 over and Callaway had me 2 up and one over. I bought Apex CF 16's. My woods have all been standard until now, I'm tempted to go +1 inch on every thing but the driver. If I go Callaway Apex for hybrid, they can be bent, so I'll go 2 up on them as well.

Joe Navy - ever been to Sunny China Lake, Ca? ;)

Back