esg777

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am thinking about re-gripping my clubs for the first time. Do you have any tips for me? What do I need to re-grip my clubs.

Do you have any sort of work area? A vise?

You really don't "need" much more than some grip tape, solvent, and the grips. A vise (with a rubber insert to protect your clubs) will make it much easier.

Number one tip is use lots of solvent. It's easy to do.

You tube, watch a few videos and see that it is not rocket science. Take your time and it gets easy quick. Just make sure you line them up

Easy to learn and do. I like using a hook blade box knife and 2inch tape, but like said above watch videos on Tube. Not sure about Winn's any longer but back in the day the spin-on was counterclockwise IIRC, and if using Winn make sure shaft is really clean and smooth.

I am thinking about re-gripping my clubs for the first time. Do you have any tips for me? What do I need to re-grip my clubs.
Make sure they are seated all the way down. If in doubt use more juice..

I like them logo down, because I don't use the grip for face alignment. To me that's like using your hood ornament as a sight to stay in your lane..... And I always intentionally have the face a bit open or closed at address to shape the shot. Hook blades are the most important thing I can think of. I have re gripped many a club on my tailgate without a vice.

You need a hook blade utility knife (to remove the old grips without scoring your shafts), some way to clamp the shaft down, 2-sided tape, lots of solvent (mineral spirits works fine and is inexpensive), and some kind of tray to put underneath to catch the solvent.

If you go on Amazon and search for "golf club regripping kit", you'll find plenty of options for under $20 (they're all basically the same thing). If you don't have some kind of vise, hit up Amazon or Harbor Freight for a cheap one.

Beyond those basics, I like to have some kind of heat gun to make removing the old tape easier. It's the most laborious and time-consuming part of regripping.

Tip: As @Hawk said, use lots of solvent. It's better to err on the side of too much than too little.

Couple tips:

Denatured alcohol will help clean the leftover goo off the shafts…and your fingers.

Even with a hook blade, be careful on graphite, it’ll still score the shaft.

they guys have given great tips. I'd add at times a hairdryer helps heat a shaft wtih tape on it to remove the old tape. If the old shaft was clean and the 2 sided tape here is where I think new people might have a learning curve.

1- I have the shaft clamp on such that when in the vice grip the toe is square and I'm putting the center line of the grip on the top most of the shaft
2- spray a bit of solvant on the taped grip ( a big pan under your vice keeps a nasty mess from happening)
3- tee in but of grip, spray some solvant into the grip. Shake it for about 60 seconds
4- pour the solvant in the grip on the shaft tape, remove the tee in the butt of your grip

AND GO!!! don't play around or wait, You have seconds before it starts to setup. Don't stop until the butt of grip hits butt of shaft.

Use solvent, and then some more, and a little more when you think it’s enough.

Use more solvent than you think. ALWAYS.

Couple plastic shoe boxes are handy. I cut the bottom off one as a catch-tray, then the other holds all the junk. Catch tray sticks to bottom of the junk box. Keeps every thing neat and tidy as you can see. Sorry, Santa’s been puttering around in my garage.8A187D7E-F76C-4975-B980-90903DC01019.jpegC96AF9E9-A1CF-4CF6-BEBF-B23373215AC2.jpeg

Easy to do, and you need

Hook Blade
Solvent
Grip Tape
Vise

I don’t have a vise and use my kitchen sink but I know others have a dedicated area with a vise and bucket or tray to catch the excess solvent. As others have said use plenty of solvent abd you’re good

Easy to do, and you need

Hook Blade
Solvent
Grip Tape
Vise

I don’t have a vise and use my kitchen sink but I know others have a dedicated area with a vise and bucket or tray to catch the excess solvent. As others have said use plenty of solvent abd you’re good
I used my sink for YEARS, and still do in a pinch even with a gripping station. No vice either, it’s like you said, use a LOT of solvent and you’re good.

I used my sink for YEARS, and still do in a pinch even with a gripping station. No vice either, it’s like you said, use a LOT of solvent and you’re good.
Once I found solvent that didn’t smell my wife stopped giving me the stink eye bc of the smell.

I’d love a grip/build station but my space unfortunately is limited

Once I found solvent that didn’t smell my wife stopped giving me the stink eye bc of the smell.

I’d love a grip/build station but my space unfortunately is limited
I'd love to have a dedicated regripping station like the one pictured below, but I don't regrip often enough to justify the cost and it taking up space in the garage. I have an 8 lb bench vise on my workbench, it serves the purpose well enough.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 12.15.59 PM.png

I'd love to have a dedicated regripping station like the one pictured below, but I don't regrip often enough to justify the cost and it taking up space in the garage. I have an 8 lb bench vise on my workbench, it serves the purpose well enough.

View attachment 9230740
Humidity down here I’ll replace a few each season depending on wear, but usually it’s all 13 at once in the spring

Humidity down here I’ll replace a few each season depending on wear, but usually it’s all 13 at once in the spring
About the same for me - and then the other 364 days of the year it would sit there in the garage and get in the way, I already have enough other stuff doing that. :LOL:

I found that when using compressed air it helps me to gently twist the old grip back and forth until the tape releases. Then the old grip slides right off. Works great if you're trying to preserve the existing grips.

Use more solvent than you think. ALWAYS.
I came here to say the same thing. If you think you have enough solvent, put more on.

Also, heat gun. Get a heat gun. I have removed grips from graphite without cutting the old grips off using just a heat gun and my GI Joe kung fu grip hands. An air compressor and good blow gun work wonders too in getting grips off without using a razor.

Do you have any sort of work area? A vise?

You really don't "need" much more than some grip tape, solvent, and the grips. A vise (with a rubber insert to protect your clubs) will make it much easier.

Number one tip is use lots of solvent. It's easy to do.
To expand on this, if you don’t have one of the rubber v blocks you can cut the cap off one of your old grips and use that to wrap the shaft.

When removing the grip you may see that the old tape is intact. In the past I've had mixed results using the old tape. I'd advise to remove the old tape regardless and just use fresh tape.

I have a workbench and vice but do not use it for regripping clubs.
First I use a a grip removal tool ($20 at Golfworks-Matlby), which I find easier to use than cutting off grips with any sort of knife.
Once a grip has been removed, if it's new I sell it and if it's well worn I throw it away.
Installing the new grips is easy; just remove what's remaining of the old tape (the grip removal tool usually removes some of this old tape). Next, apply some new double sided tape and slide the grip over the shaft. At a driving range I've installed a complete set of grips, and sometimes for friends install grips in the parking lot of a golf course, no need for a vice.

Worn grips get removed with a hook blade. Good ones, I try to remove with an air compressor, but not all like that. If removing with air, I always like to soften the adhesive of the grip tape by using a heat gun to start. Some grips stick and just don't want to come off with air, which to me just means they were meant to be cut off, not much of a loss there, but if you really want to save it, one of the grip removal tools can save it:

As for putting grips back on, I have done air with painters tape and hairspray, water activated grip tape and solvent based grip tape. My first choice is air. Water based is fine and is easy enough to remove later and solvent based makes more of a mess and is harder to remove later.

Back