"Re-shaft" Charges

ButterPutter

Reaction score
Handicap
Hipsters
I went to Golfsmith today and bought a new driver shaft and had the shop remove and install a Taylormade adapter from an older shaft along with throwing on my normal grip. When I went to go pay the shop had added a re-shaft charge to my bill for $18.99. I've never been charged that fee in the past (have done the exact same thing several times) so I asked about it and the cashier said I should have been charged previously.

Am I crazy or is $18.99 too much to charge for installing a grip cutting the shaft and installing an adapter? I paid it as I don't have another option since my regular repair shop just closed down. It just seems a lot for a 5 minute service. Sorry to complain if this is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Re-shaft" Charges

"Re-shaft" Charges

It's actually a pretty standard charge. I'm a club builder and used to work for a pretty big shop in my area. We charged $20 labor for a reshafting and $2.99 for installing grips. The $20 was broken up into $5 for pulling and $15 for attaching.

I understand the sentiment of this just being a "5 minute" service, but you're not actually paying for the time it takes. You have to remember this is a service that takes skill (to be done correctly) and it takes material. That simple job still requires special tools as well which aren't cheap. Think of it more as paying for the propane that it took to heat and pull the adapter, the epoxy it took to glue it on the new shaft, as well as the solvent and tape that it took to install your grip. Hopefully that gives you some insight.

Where I work, it would've been charged as a 3 separate things:

1) Shaft cut down $5.99
2) Adaptor install $5.99
3) Grip install $2.99

Total: $14.97

Others might charge for ferrule install as well but a lot of adaptors don't need it.

We charge 16.99 for shaft install plus other things like grip and ferrule.

If you got charged for both of the above, that is ridiculous and they overcharged you.

What was your total charges?

I think it's an absurd charge as anyone with the craftsman skills of a 4th grader can figure out how to use epoxy. I'm sorry that your only choice is now Golfsmith. They're terrible.

Golfsmith is higher than everywhere else in my area. I usually pay 15 for a reshaft that includes a new ferrule. Only do it when I am too busy to do myself.

I don't think $18.99 is totally un-reasonable. Your other option is learning to do it yourself.

I don't think $18.99 is totally un-reasonable. Your other option is learning to do it yourself.
That is what motivated me to learn how. And it's fun and you know if it's not done right, it's on you.

I think he is more upset about that 18.99 being charged additionally onto what he was already being charged, if I'm reading into this correctly.

It seems to me they charge so much to get you to look at new clubs instead of reshafting. You figure on a set of irons new grips $80.00 installed, new shafts $300 installed you might as well be looking at another set.

This is the reason I started working on my own clubs. It has become an addictive hobby

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's not so unreasonable after all. It definitely gives me motivation to get a workstation setup and learn how to do this myself. I hope I didn't offend any of you professional club fitters, that was certainly not my intent.

Assuming it is done properly, without damaging anything, I would be more than happy to spend $20 to have an adaptor saved and reused.

Any clubs you are a member of / play at do them for you? My club will regrip at no cost for labor. I just buy my grips online for cheap and they install them for me for nada.

Assuming it is done properly, without damaging anything, I would be more than happy to spend $20 to have an adaptor saved and reused.

Adapters are very easy to pull and re use. I know some people don't have the time or the want, but if you give it a try (like others have said) you'll be hooked.

I went to Golfsmith today and bought a new driver shaft and had the shop remove and install a Taylormade adapter from an older shaft along with throwing on my normal grip. When I went to go pay the shop had added a re-shaft charge to my bill for $18.99. I've never been charged that fee in the past (have done the exact same thing several times) so I asked about it and the cashier said I should have been charged previously.

Am I crazy or is $18.99 too much to charge for installing a grip cutting the shaft and installing an adapter? I paid it as I don't have another option since my regular repair shop just closed down. It just seems a lot for a 5 minute service. Sorry to complain if this is normal.

With everything stacked, it's probably the right number, but I guess it depends where you go.

My local shop charges 3 for shaft cut, 3 for a regrip, and 18 for an install. All of these things can be done very easily at your home as long as you're not pulling adapters/heads from graphite shafts. It's just a matter of buying the epoxy, the grip tape, the solvent, and something to score the shaft for install.

I'll never ever pay anyone to do that stuff for me again. It's a big upcharge but they can certainly justify it.

Wish I lived somewhere it was this cheap. Around me it's an average of $50 per club. Want to get my irons redone but not paying that much :(

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Wish I lived somewhere it was this cheap. Around me it's an average of $50 per club. Want to get my irons redone but not paying that much :(

Good lord that is a ton!! It'll cost you a bit in materials, but you could make a pretty penny on the side charging even half that to everyone!

If your just swapping shafts and are pulling steel ones it's super easy and you'll spend less than 100 on the supplies to do it yourself. Plus it's easy and a good way to kill an evening.

The guy I used to used was not too high, but several pulls, installs, etc. really add up over time. Finally broke down and bought a shaft puller, a heat gun and other miscellaneous supplies (maybe $200 total if that) and have not paid anyone to do any club work since then. It is enjoyable and quiet easy. I am already pretty close to breaking even when considering the savings from not paying for these services anymore. Lie and loft adjustments are the only thing I pay for now since that service is only a couple bucks per club and the equipment to do it myself is crazy expensive.

WOW! I just soft stepped a full set of irons for a guy and installed new grips for $5 per club.

With everything stacked, it's probably the right number, but I guess it depends where you go.

My local shop charges 3 for shaft cut, 3 for a regrip, and 18 for an install. All of these things can be done very easily at your home as long as you're not pulling adapters/heads from graphite shafts. It's just a matter of buying the epoxy, the grip tape, the solvent, and something to score the shaft for install.

I'll never ever pay anyone to do that stuff for me again. It's a big upcharge but they can certainly justify it.

^^^^^This!^^^^^^^ I've been doing steel for a while now and just need to pull the trigger on a Puller for the graphite side of it. Someone was talking about a pretty economical one not too long ago. Maybe Howzat? Anyway, I really need to do that this year. Its pretty satisfying being able to do your own work and then gong out and having a career round knowing that you build those.

To the OP, I pay about that for the graphite stuff I cannot do right now, but I'm always tinkering with shafts and such that my guy will usually only charge me $5 to pull an adapter and put on something else. If it is a complete pull out of the head and re-install, it's about where you are.

JM

Yeah i think it might be something worth looking into doing lol, if I can find the time. With being regional and the 3 major clubs here all in cahoots with the pricing i could do it for cheaper i suppose

Normally when I take an adapter and shaft into Golfsmith and their tech is there he'll usually epoxy it for free as the paperwork involved doesn't seem to be worth his hassle.

When he has to pull the adapter off a shaft and expoy it into another shaft it's usually $10.

One time I dropped off my clubs. They pulled a broken shaft from a club then installed a new shaft I had into it and it was right around that $17-20 mark if memory serves me.

Your price seems about spot on the norm.

It's worth learning to do yourself. You can get set up with some pretty nice tools from scratch for about $300, and any old desk or table or anything can be used as a workbench.

That said, you have to amortize that cost. So if it's $18/shaft, you don't break even until you've done your 17th shaft replacement. If you enjoy doing the work, you'll hit that eventually. If you don't, and don't swap shafts very often, it may be worth sticking with paying somebody to do it.

It's worth learning to do yourself. You can get set up with some pretty nice tools from scratch for about $300, and any old desk or table or anything can be used as a workbench.

That said, you have to amortize that cost. So if it's $18/shaft, you don't break even until you've done your 17th shaft replacement. If you enjoy doing the work, you'll hit that eventually. If you don't, and don't swap shafts very often, it may be worth sticking with paying somebody to do it.
Just get a heat gun, epoxy and some ferrelles, the rest you can improvise, I just did it one day the fancy equipment will make it easier but you dont really need it, I torch the shaft, use the old foot on head and rip the shaft out routine, has worked great, unless you want to save the graphite shaft, I can do that too but want to get a extractor, to make it easier, start with the basics

I think it's an absurd charge as anyone with the craftsman skills of a 4th grader can figure out how to use epoxy.
I'm a fan of "if you want to do it yourself, go ahead" but as has been mentioned above, it does take a bit of skill and equipment to do shaft pulls and then install. Only fair that you get charged for the service.

I do all my own re-grippings now, and plan to get into reshafting ... but in the meantime I certainly wouldn't trust a 4th grader to reshaft my $400+ driver.

Back