RealPretendPsychic's 2020(1) Grandaddy Marathon

In the last few weeks I have gotten completely lost and turned around in my swing. Unflattening my swing has turned into a huuuuge over the top problem. I think I was in the garage working on this issue every night last week. I played 3 sim rounds yesterday (may be sore today) and went 87-82-76, so that’s a positive trend. Fingers crossed it’s sustainable! I’m almost scared to take the big slice out onto the course, but I may get the chance this week or next as the snow melts and the ground dries out.

Scores going down are always a good thing. Yes, can't wait till it dries out here in PA

Scores going down are always a good thing. Yes, can't wait till it dries out here in PA
I had a handful of low low sim rounds before things went off the rails. The big question is can I figure this out before I take my swing out onto the course and before the posting season opens in April!

Another week, another adventure! I use(d) an interlock grip and have been having pain on the middle knuckle of my left index finger. So today I switched to overlap, which definitely lessened the pressure on that knuckle. Still working on the over the top, but have seen some improvements. Played a sim round today and shot a 79, so I think it’s working. Hoping to get out on the course this week although posting season doesn’t start until 4/1.

Didn’t expect to be back in here so soon, but I had my PB sim round tonight (34/40-74). I was very sore from yesterday’s workout and faded hard on the back, but maybe I have something here with the grip change and swing drills.
29DA5F8A-DCE3-4815-80BA-C64B1A37A802.jpeg

Keep on plugging away! Love reading about your prep!

Well the start to this season has not gone as I hoped. 4.5 rounds into the year and all scores have been between 88-92. I struggled with some nasty spring greens in two of the rounds, but my approach shots have been hurting me the most. Really need to dial in the irons. Been getting crushed by work and haven’t practiced in a couple weeks. Aiming to fix that in the near future while playing 1+ rounds per week. I did join my favorite local public course, so I can play 9 or 18 with a cart for $15/round. The grind continues! Below are the Arccos numbers for my 2021 rounds.
1617729580943.png

Well the start to this season has not gone as I hoped. 4.5 rounds into the year and all scores have been between 88-92. I struggled with some nasty spring greens in two of the rounds, but my approach shots have been hurting me the most. Really need to dial in the irons. Been getting crushed by work and haven’t practiced in a couple weeks. Aiming to fix that in the near future while playing 1+ rounds per week. I did join my favorite local public course, so I can play 9 or 18 with a cart for $15/round. The grind continues! Below are the Arccos numbers for my 2021 rounds.
View attachment 9001699
You and me both on those approach shots being the area of weakness. Sad thing, I'm better 150-200 than I am 50-100 yds. Need to find time and get the wedges more accurate. I have the backyard to do it, so I expect this area to become a strength by the end of the season.

You and me both on those approach shots being the area of weakness. Sad thing, I'm better 150-200 than I am 50-100 yds. Need to find time and get the wedges more accurate. I have the backyard to do it, so I expect this area to become a strength by the end of the season.
Yup I need to dial it in! Especially if I’m playing from 6,000ish yards, I’m going to see a lot of those wedge shots. At least I have an area of focus. I can work on it on the simulator and my membership includes unlimited range time (real grass!!!) so I will definitely take advantage of that.

Yup I need to dial it in! Especially if I’m playing from 6,000ish yards, I’m going to see a lot of those wedge shots. At least I have an area of focus. I can work on it on the simulator and my membership includes unlimited range time (real grass!!!) so I will definitely take advantage of that.
Real grass, and practicing all sorts of lies helped me improve a lot last year. These feel shots are the ones that always take a while for me to get right starting the year. I'm sure that is some if your issue too. Best of luck to you!

Real grass, and practicing all sorts of lies helped me improve a lot last year. These feel shots are the ones that always take a while for me to get right starting the year. I'm sure that is some if your issue too. Best of luck to you!
New wedges too! By the time summer rolls around we’ll be dunking these shots 😎

I officially joined a local public course a few weeks ago and played my third round there today. Back to back rounds there this weekend and went 87-87, which are my two lowest scores of the year and only 3 off my personal best at the course. I am getting off the tee very well, but struggling with my approach into the green. I had a really strong day around the greens today and felt good about how I putted. Finally had my first two birdies of the year Saturday and another one today. It’s only April and I feel close to a breakthrough. Sub-80’s here I come!

Here’s a fun shot of the birdie putt today complete with rainy green tracer.
1618191330121.jpeg

No golf last week simulator or otherwise, but I almost have my garage back, the range is open at my course, the nine hole course down the street reopened, and I played 36 this weekend! Golf season is in full swing! Shot a 91 yesterday with 3 “other”’s on the card and came in with a 41. I picked up where I left off today and played my best round in over 5 years with a +9 81. Putting was solid both days and I’m working on my chipping to use the bounce more. I think that will really help make me more dynamic around the greens. Driving continues to be a strength and I am looking to work on my irons on the range. Things are looking up as we head into summer!

Not sure if you've seen this video, but the thought process around what Kisner describes has helped me quite a bit around the green. I had 4 up and downs my past round, with one out of the sand. My short game Improvement has me more regularly in the low 80's instead of the mid to upper 80's. Keep working!

Not sure if you've seen this video, but the thought process around what Kisner describes has helped me quite a bit around the green. I had 4 up and downs my past round, with one out of the sand. My short game Improvement has me more regularly in the low 80's instead of the mid to upper 80's. Keep working!

That’s the stuff! I’ve seen (and ignored) a chipping video from Kisner before, but I’m listening now! I chunked one on Sunday before fully committing to the new strategy. It’s terrifying because it does feel like I’m just going to blade it across the green, but that didn’t happen once. Time to put in the work!

Congrats. I'm usually low to mid 90s. Hopefully get into 80s this year.

That’s the stuff! I’ve seen (and ignored) a chipping video from Kisner before, but I’m listening now! I chunked one on Sunday before fully committing to the new strategy. It’s terrifying because it does feel like I’m just going to blade it across the green, but that didn’t happen once. Time to put in the work!
I'm enjoying following along David!! Chipping has been a strong point of my game but with all my full swing work my chipping was hot and cold last round.

Following up on this video, I did not chip well on Saturday, but I really didn’t have time to put in the work. So I practiced after the round, watched the video again, showed up early, and worked on chipping again before the round Sunday. I have myself a decent look at up and down from every greenside shot I had and went 11 strokes lower than Saturday. Have an 81 and 82 in 2 of my last 3 rounds. Feeling dangerous heading into my first ever tournament this weekend!

Following up on this video, I did not chip well on Saturday, but I really didn’t have time to put in the work. So I practiced after the round, watched the video again, showed up early, and worked on chipping again before the round Sunday. I have myself a decent look at up and down from every greenside shot I had and went 11 strokes lower than Saturday. Have an 81 and 82 in 2 of my last 3 rounds. Feeling dangerous heading into my first ever tournament this weekend!
Once you become more comfortable in your short game, it's amazing how the confidence permeates to a round. I feel more comfortable getting up and down, so then I have less worry while hitting approach shots. I can go for it, and if I miss I have confidence in my still saving par. Just all around confidence improves, at least for me, especially as I eliminate those frustrating skulled or chunked chips.

Then, a good short game also drives down putts per round. Win, win in a bunch of various statistics.

I suck at chipping and I tried his tips this weekend and was sooo much better. Still don’t have the best control but everything was on the green with no more bladed or chunked disasters. Thanks for the share guys!

Sorry I scared you into putting up the one high round of the three :ROFLMAO: You really hit it well man, I think you're focusing on the right stuff. Your long game is impressive, you really have a lot of speed for your size - I was getting a little bummed getting outdriven all the time! Hitting those short clubs closer and improving your short game (which are improvement areas I share with you) are really gonna drive that cap down into the singles!

Sorry I scared you into putting up the one high round of the three :ROFLMAO: You really hit it well man, I think you're focusing on the right stuff. Your long game is impressive, you really have a lot of speed for your size - I was getting a little bummed getting outdriven all the time! Hitting those short clubs closer and improving your short game (which are improvement areas I share with you) are really gonna drive that cap down into the singles!
Haha I’ll chalk it up to the wind! You hit it well especially for your first time on the course and with that ridiculous wind. I finally hit the island green on Sunday! And 3 putted... I’m not even sure how I get to single digits since I’ve only posted one recent single digit differential, but I’m taking it one swing at a time and really focusing on irons and wedges right now.

I suck at chipping and I tried his tips this weekend and was sooo much better. Still don’t have the best control but everything was on the green with no more bladed or chunked disasters. Thanks for the share guys!
I just keep in my mind when he talks about getting everything in line with the zipper on your jacket. The body, hands, club all moving as one. When I get out of whack, I come back to this swing thought. It's simple, yet effective for me.

I just keep in my mind when he talks about getting everything in line with the zipper on your jacket. The body, hands, club all moving as one. When I get out of whack, I come back to this swing thought. It's simple, yet effective for me.
I was an all-arms, almost putting stroke chipper. I was worried I’d lose some feel following Kisner’s lesson, but early on I’m getting way more loft and controlled rollout and it’s been effective from fairway lies and buried ones in the rough.

Back