RealPretendPsychic's 2020(1) Grandaddy Marathon

Haha I’ll chalk it up to the wind! You hit it well especially for your first time on the course and with that ridiculous wind. I finally hit the island green on Sunday! And 3 putted... I’m not even sure how I get to single digits since I’ve only posted one recent single digit differential, but I’m taking it one swing at a time and really focusing on irons and wedges right now.

Thanks man! Yeah it wasn't bad overall. I really want to get back out there on a more normal day.

Remember, don't have to have EVERY score that low, or even a high percentage, just your good rounds need to get there - I snuck under 10 last year with I think 5 or 6 single digit differentials all year (admittedly 2 of them were stupid low, like 6 ish). And you're definitely right there based on your trend. Irons and wedges are the right call, I'm in the same boat! I'm starting to finally get it through my thick head that most of the time, the tee shot doesn't need to be all that great - although it helps, most of the time it just needs to not put you in jail for your second. So I'm spending 90%+ of the bucket on that stuff when I practice - I think I hit 2 drivers my last range session. Focus on where you really set yourself up for success on the green!

I was an all-arms, almost putting stroke chipper. I was worried I’d lose some feel following Kisner’s lesson, but early on I’m getting way more loft and controlled rollout and it’s been effective from fairway lies and buried ones in the rough.
I used to do this too, all arms. This thought process works from greenside, to 50 yards. Club and length of the backswing are the only things that differ.

The next step from here is learning your wedge lengths, what you hit the best to specific yardages. What do I hit my 58* on a full, 3/4, and 1/2 swings. They go through the clubs you hit into the green and do the same. I have it written on a notepad, so i can learn and adjust.

Step 3 for me has been using more bump and runs with a 7 or 8i when I have no hazards in the way, and lots of green to work with. Not a shot I've used in the past, but trying to put in in the bag.

I was an all-arms, almost putting stroke chipper. I was worried I’d lose some feel following Kisner’s lesson, but early on I’m getting way more loft and controlled rollout and it’s been effective from fairway lies and buried ones in the rough.
I was exactly the same, getting my body into it seems to be the key for me. This was one of those rare changes that paid dividends immediately.

Played another 36 this weekend. The last 3 weekends have gone 91/81➡93/82➡82/89, so consistently inconsistent :LOL:

I played in my first tournament on Saturday and won! It was a flighted gross score tournament. I won my flight and had the lowest overall gross and net with the 82. And I had 3 birdies! It was a test run to see how I handled the nerves and I think I passed! Driver continues to be a strength and irons a weakness. I’m spending a lot of time chipping and putting and it’s definitely paying off. Need to commit to getting more swings on video and focusing on iron practice sessions. Irons and short game are the keys to those great rounds I’ve had recently!

One thing I noticed in today’s 89 was that I had serious struggles staying focused on the back nine. I was playing solo and running on E and it was cold and wet outside. I started losing the ball right and really lost my feel on and around the greens. I was aware it was happening and tried to compensate, but came in with a +11 47 on the back.

Congrats on a great round in the tournament. Medal play is a different beast and it can be tough if you aren’t used to it.

Congrats on a great round in the tournament. Medal play is a different beast and it can be tough if you aren’t used to it.
As a former diver, I figure swinging a golf club can’t be as tough as flipping through the air in a Speedo :LOL: but I’ve also seen the ball fly off the hosel at an impossible angle, so I had to give tournament play a try!

Played another 36 this weekend. The last 3 weekends have gone 91/81➡93/82➡82/89, so consistently inconsistent :LOL:

I played in my first tournament on Saturday and won! It was a flighted gross score tournament. I won my flight and had the lowest overall gross and net with the 82. And I had 3 birdies! It was a test run to see how I handled the nerves and I think I passed! Driver continues to be a strength and irons a weakness. I’m spending a lot of time chipping and putting and it’s definitely paying off. Need to commit to getting more swings on video and focusing on iron practice sessions. Irons and short game are the keys to those great rounds I’ve had recently!
Congrats! Stellar performance! Three birdies in a round is some serious golf.

Congrats! Stellar performance! Three birdies in a round is some serious golf.
Thanks! That’s a first for me as I had been stuck on 2. It was a bit surprising as I’m struggling to make birdies this year largely due to poor iron play. But it’s a glimmer of hope!

I got in a whole bunch of golf over the last few weeks and have been playing pretty well. This past weekend I was +7 at a short fun 9 hole course that we walked twice. Drivable par 4’s in abundance! And on Saturday I had an 82 despite a 10 and 5 water balls on the back nine. Sunday was a sort of miserable round playing solo sandwiched between foursomes, but managed an 84. And had birdies in all 3 rounds! My handicap is down from 13.2 to 11.4 and my average score is down from 89 to 86! I really think the difference has been my short game practice. And the Chrome Soft ball! Seriously, why did I play Supersofts for so long?! Considering taking a lesson or two just to tighten things up, but I honestly think I could continue this trend without one.
1621950461465.gif

Another week, another sim round and 36 holes. After Saturday’s 88, I went out and shot a personal best 76 on Sunday. Same course, same weather, same strategy, different result. The stars aligned and I went LOW! I’m honestly a bit confused as to how it happened seeing as it’s my lowest score in the last 8 years by 5 strokes. But regardless, I am starting to achieve the goals I set out to accomplish in 2021. I’m continuing to try and play 1-2 times per week in addition to 1-2 full swing sessions at the range or on the SkyTrak along with putting and chipping practice mixed in. Still have the thought of a lesson package in the back of my mind as well. And I’m learning how to selfie golf! Probably won’t do it often as I don’t foresee many solo rounds with summer upon us, but it was fun (and challenging, as seen in the video below :LOL:).

It’s been an active couple weeks of golf for me. My wife has gone to the chip and putt course a couple times and played a sim round with me! And I’ve gotten at least one round in the last few weekends. I followed up my 76 with a solid 80 and have been grinding a bit since then. I’m experiencing a fade bordering on slice with the driver and irons are just a bit inconsistent. Putter has been fantastic! Triple track balls and TT Ten putter is like a cheat code! I plan to get more swings on camera this week to figure out what’s going on with the irons and driver. And trying to keep the positive momentum!

It’s been an active couple weeks of golf for me. My wife has gone to the chip and putt course a couple times and played a sim round with me! And I’ve gotten at least one round in the last few weekends. I followed up my 76 with a solid 80 and have been grinding a bit since then. I’m experiencing a fade bordering on slice with the driver and irons are just a bit inconsistent. Putter has been fantastic! Triple track balls and TT Ten putter is like a cheat code! I plan to get more swings on camera this week to figure out what’s going on with the irons and driver. And trying to keep the positive momentum!

It is fun when the wife or girlfriend get into golf too!
TT is so good.

No significant updates. I’ve had a few rough rounds and it’s definitely time to get swings on camera and diagnose some issues. Putter has been generally fantastic with the exception of today’s round. Handicap at least for a moment is below 10, which was a goal of mine. Biggest update is that my sand game is back! I was 3/3 yesterday and today giving myself a chance to get up and down from bunkers. Huge monkey off my back to feel confident from the sand again!

My last four rounds have gone 98-79-84-101. My tee game is terrible and I’m not sure why. I was +4 last night on a nine hole course and was 1/3 with 3 wood or driver in hand. I was absolutely on fire with irons and wedges. I broke out the Tour Striker Smart Ball to try and get things back in rhythm before my next round, but still really disappointed that my driving game disappeared so abruptly.

Lesson time. Not looking to change anything major, but need to tighten things up for a more consistent swing. The instructor I last went to has over a 1 month wait and is an hour away, so it’s the perfect excuse to try a local simulator place I’ve been looking at.

Last edited:
Been a while since my last update. Game is in shambles. Life decisions are being questioned. I absolutely pounded the ball off the tee today and hit it straight for the most part, but every ball that wasn’t in the fairway was lost. Irons are the same way - feast or famine. Grrrrrrrrinding.

I thought I was hitting the driver really good today until David was still driving his cart past mine to find his ball.

Not so good update to my journey today. Saw a doc about an arm and doc said the arm looks like a great arm, but there’s some parts in it that don’t look so hot. So here I am wearing an ugly splint. An ugly non-golfing splint! Hoping the stupidness ends in a few weeks.

It’s rough timing with the big show only two months away and my game in a terrible place. I’m sitting at a 9.5 cap although 5 of my last 8 rounds have been 93 or higher with 2 over 100. Was really hoping to get the game back in gear, but with my posting season ending on 11/15 that handicap battle could rear its ugly head in December.

Not so good update to my journey today. Saw a doc about an arm and doc said the arm looks like a great arm, but there’s some parts in it that don’t look so hot. So here I am wearing an ugly splint. An ugly non-golfing splint! Hoping the stupidness ends in a few weeks.

It’s rough timing with the big show only two months away and my game in a terrible place. I’m sitting at a 9.5 cap although 5 of my last 8 rounds have been 93 or higher with 2 over 100. Was really hoping to get the game back in gear, but with my posting season ending on 11/15 that handicap battle could rear its ugly head in December.
Hang in there brother. Don’t make the mistake I made and come back too soon. Rest it and focus your mind on the euphoria that is the The Grandaddy experience in just a couple months.

Your practice will pay off.. let it heal and you will rebound quickly!!

Looks like you’ll be able to be automatic on putting as I doubt you’ll be able to resist practicing for that long for how long and hard you’ve been training for this.

Looks like you’ll be able to be automatic on putting as I doubt you’ll be able to resist practicing for that long for how long and hard you’ve been training for this.
And as David knows, that's where matches are won!! I like his chances in December. Just get better man!

Your wrist is going to heal bud! We are going to crush it in December!

Back