thanks for the info....just order 13 red VDR grips from golfworks.

I have heard bad things about water activated tape when it rains so I always use solvent based tape

I have never had a problem with that, and I have been using it in all weather on all clubs for at least 5 years. I have re-gripped 3 different sets of irons with it. I would think that is someone's idea of what could possibly happen but it is very unlikely in reality, unless you are going to be playing under water. I doubt they would ever get wet enough to matter no matter how hard it is raining. The only place for water to seep in is at the base and as long as you don't leave your bag open and completely uncovered in a downpour I don't see how water can get in there. It is not going to get in through the hole in the end of the grip. And the grips themselves are waterproof rubber for the most part. I could see rain water being a problem with soaking through leather grips, but not rubber.

You made me laugh out loud at work! I usually let them sit for at least 24 hours after regripping too. What kind of grips do you use Ron? just curious...

on my pings I have winn excel 7515 -cp's, they are a really soft grip that seems to work well with my arthuritis. I still have the standard grips on my Di11's, but I think I am going to switch them out to the winns as well

I have never had a problem with that, and I have been using it in all weather on all clubs for at least 5 years. I have re-gripped 3 different sets of irons with it. I would think that is someone's idea of what could possibly happen but it is very unlikely in reality, unless you are going to be playing under water. I doubt they would ever get wet enough to matter no matter how hard it is raining. The only place for water to seep in is at the base and as long as you don't leave your bag open and completely uncovered in a downpour I don't see how water can get in there. It is not going to get in through the hole in the end of the grip. And the grips themselves are waterproof rubber for the most part. I could see rain water being a problem with soaking through leather grips, but not rubber.

very true and good post. I have always used solvent based tape though to air on the side of caution. Once my roll of tape has run out I think I may give the watrer activated tape a shot

Great thread everyone. I need to get my sticks re-gripped and might as well do it myself.

It makes sense, works out a lot cheaper too usually. My range charges £7.99 to supply and fit a NDMC grip. I got a full set of 9 for £37.50 delivered from ebay. So I pretty much did my own for half the price I would have been charged.

Going to order a Putter grip next to regrip my Flatstick

If you are just using two sided tape like you can buy at golf shops, I don't think you even need any solvent that will be messy. I simply use rubbing alcohol since it evaporates quickly and leaves no mess. No need for a drip pan or anything. Just make sure you really bathe the tape and the inside of the grip with it and get it on quickly or you could get stuck. Plus, then you don't have to worry about clean-up or disposing of the solvent. Of course, if you are using tape that needs to be activated to get sticky then that would be a different story. I regripped my wife's woods and mine using this method and all is well. For our irons I just used Pure Grips which don't require solvent.

No no no no! No rubbing alcohol! That is what messed me up the first time I tried. It evaporates almost instantly and leaves the tape so sticky that you can't get the grip on at all. Mineral spirits and the grips slide on with ease.

I can't reiterate the point about using loads of solvent, I just regripped my mashie and didn't use enough (even though I used plenty) Got the grip stuck 3/4 of the way down and really struggled to get it on. Managed it in the end although the butt end isn't flush to the butt of the shaft

I can't reiterate the point about using loads of solvent, I just regripped my mashie and didn't use enough (even though I used plenty) Got the grip stuck 3/4 of the way down and really struggled to get it on. Managed it in the end although the butt end isn't flush to the butt of the shaft

Newbie!

Just kidding sir. :D

I totally covered the tape and inside the grip with paint thinner reading online multiple times that you can never have too much solvent since the excess just drips off anyways.

First time it has ever happened to me, the butt end of the mashie is larger than my irons and other woods so I am blaming it on that - lol

I purposely used more than I usually do as well, guess I needed even more

Just did a old wedge with a old ndmc and it went well. A heat gun helps allot. The hardest part is alignment.

I started using an air compressor to regrip my clubs. Learned from watching youtube videos. Cant beat it.

Got my driver re-gripped for free at the demo day today in Dallas. The Golf Pride tent had a free one club re-grip offer.

To help with alighnment just put a piece of masking tape below your grip and mark the center of the grip on the tape and then throw on the new grip alighned with the mark on the tape.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

First time it has ever happened to me, the butt end of the mashie is larger than my irons and other woods so I am blaming it on that - lol

I purposely used more than I usually do as well, guess I needed even more

Just regripped my Mashies with GP VDR's. Mashie = a B!T$& to regrip!!! Getting the grip started over that huge butt end on the shaft was hell!

To help with alighnment just put a piece of masking tape below your grip and mark the center of the grip on the tape and then throw on the new grip alighned with the mark on the tape.

That's exactly what I did

Just regripped my Mashies with GP VDR's. Mashie = a B!T$& to regrip!!! Getting the grip started over that huge butt end on the shaft was hell!

Glad it wasn't just me who had trouble

Did you put solvent in the grip as well? Helps a lot!

Glad it wasn't just me who had trouble[/QUOTE]

Did you put solvent in the grip as well? Helps a lot!

Glad it wasn't just me who had trouble

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.[/QUOTE]

I put solvent in the grip first and then pour in onto the grip tape, I then will usually put more solvent over the grip tape depending on how wet the tape is

A little tip I have for those who use solvent is to use a spray bottle. I found a small, 4oz spray bottle in the travel section at the drug store. Fill it with the solvent and use that to spray on the tape. It applies the solvent equally around the tape, and uses less solvent to get the job done so there is no need for a drip tray, which equals less mess. Spray the inside of the grip a few times then slide on. I will grip all my clubs and just use 4oz of solvent, and have no mess or trouble getting them on.

Sounds like a good plan StLCardsFan. Less cleanup is always a good thing.

just tried blowing off a grip with a compressor and it's a breeze. Installing on the other hand isn't as easy. Maybe i should use some solvent in the grip when blowing on the grip.

just tried blowing off a grip with a compressor and it's a breeze. Installing on the other hand isn't as easy. Maybe i should use some solvent in the grip when blowing on the grip.

I have found that using a little bit of solvent when not installing a Pure Grip makes it a lot easier. You don't have to use much, but a little bit definitely helps.

I've always wanted to try this but I hear it's not as easy as most make it out to be....usually hear horror stories about blown up grips.

I've always wanted to try this but I hear it's not as easy as most make it out to be....usually hear horror stories about blown up grips.

I have yet to have one blow up on me when installing and I've done 3+ sets of clubs this year.

I bought a black PVC tube to protect against anything blowing. $4 from home depot and it works like a charm.

Back