As has been said, the tools are a one time expense. To be honest you don't need a vice. Everyone should have a stanley knife or hook blade and some sort of solvent in the house anyway. All you would need then is the grips and tape

I keep all my stuff in a small shoe box. It does not take up very much room.

I recently had my clubs regripped for less than $5 a club. I think it was worth the money to get someone else to do it if you can find a good deal. By the time you buy all of the tools, etc it probably ends up costing about the same.

that's true, but you also need to look at by thinking how many times you will have things re gripped. Since getting stuff to do it myself I have already done 3+ sets of irons, 3 putters, and 4 drivers.

that's true, but you also need to look at by thinking how many times you will have things re gripped. Since getting stuff to do it myself I have already done 3+ sets of irons, 3 putters, and 4 drivers.

I read somewhere that the average golfer should replace them once every 2 years? Is that true?

I read somewhere that the average golfer should replace them once every 2 years? Is that true?

I would say a golfer that place once a week for 7 months or so should change every 2 years. Obviously there are other factors that go in to that, type of grip and playing conditions, etc. I know a lot of people that change every season. I used to wait as long as I could because I didn't want to spend the extra money to pay someone to do it, but now that I can do it I won't hesitate to change a grip.

well finally regripped my irons today first time ive done it,the first grip i didnt put enough solvent on and it nearly had to be cut of,it was only half way on and was stuck but after that only took 40 minutes to do,i tell you what i no its only grips but you feel a lot better with yourself knowning you have done them yourself plus saved £24 as my local pro charges £4 a club,thanks for the advice everyone

well finally regripped my irons today first time ive done it,the first grip i didnt put enough solvent on and it nearly had to be cut of,it was only half way on and was stuck but after that only took 40 minutes to do,i tell you what i no its only grips but you feel a lot better with yourself knowning you have done them yourself plus saved £24 as my local pro charges £4 a club,thanks for the advice everyone

Congrats Homesy68....yeah don't ever be afraid to have too much solvent. It all evaporates anyhow :D

i agree, i regrip all my own clubs, its a fun hobby .. i did my friends and my fathers

I just spray 2 or 3 squirts from the gun, giv'er a shake, empty onto the tape, and slide it on.

I heard soaking the grip can do serious harm to the rubber and reduce the endurance of the grip by a ton.

I just spray 2 or 3 squirts from the gun, giv'er a shake, empty onto the tape, and slide it on.

I heard soaking the grip can do serious harm to the rubber and reduce the endurance of the grip by a ton.

I don't use a lot of solvent either, esp when using the pure grip install method.

I just spray 2 or 3 squirts from the gun, giv'er a shake, empty onto the tape, and slide it on..

whats this, sex ed class? haha

I live in a condo and i just do it in the kitchen, not really messy. The worst part is the compressor for blowing off grips. Got a 2gallon model for $50.

Well I finally took the plunge last night and regripped all my irons. I had gotten in on that Golfsmith deal awhile back where the entire grip kit for the red Golfpride VDR grips was around $6-7 so I figured if I messed up I wouldn't be out to much. Had a little panic with the first grip as it got stuck about halfway on. Apparently didn't use enough solvent. Was able to muscle that one on and used much more solvent for the rest of the grips and they slid on fine. I think the most tedious part was getting all the tape off of the old grip. Thanks everyone for their tips in this thread as I read through it about 10 times before I started and after that first grip it was a breeze. I am not a handy person so if I can do it, just about anyone can.

I have heard at least once a year...or after every 40 rounds.

thanks now to learn how to replace shafts
I hope you have better luck than me :D Start with crappy irons and work your way up to hyrbids, woods, driver...

Well I finally took the plunge last night and regripped all my irons. I had gotten in on that Golfsmith deal awhile back where the entire grip kit for the red Golfpride VDR grips was around $6-7 so I figured if I messed up I wouldn't be out to much. Had a little panic with the first grip as it got stuck about halfway on. Apparently didn't use enough solvent. Was able to muscle that one on and used much more solvent for the rest of the grips and they slid on fine. I think the most tedious part was getting all the tape off of the old grip. Thanks everyone for their tips in this thread as I read through it about 10 times before I started and after that first grip it was a breeze. I am not a handy person so if I can do it, just about anyone can.

If it's a steel shaft I just take a blade to it and scrape it all right off...The graphite shafts I doused with solvent and was more careful while using a very dull object. (no not myself :act-up:)

The easy way to get the old tape off is to use a heat gun. Heat the tape up a little bit and it's really easy to peel off. I think my heat gun is a cheap Wagner one designed for helping to remove paint that I bought at Home Depot. I think I paid $20 for it a year ago when my wife decided I needed to repaint some trim in the house.

Last edited:
For anyone fretting about doing this, don't. It really is pretty simple. Follow the advice here and you'll have no issues.

Did my irons & wedges tonight. Stripped the old ones off while watching TV and put the new ones on in the kitchen. No vise needed! I'll be doing my driver and FWs tomorrow. :D

View attachment 2822

tap tap tap...

For anyone fretting about doing this, don't. It really is pretty simple. Follow the advice here and you'll have no issues.

Did my irons & wedges tonight. Stripped the old ones off while watching TV and put the new ones on in the kitchen. No vise needed! I'll be doing my driver and FWs tomorrow. :D

View attachment 2822

tap tap tap...
Nice work!

i didn't read every post, but it look's like you probably already have a pretty good idea how to do it by now, however, if not golfsmith online has all you need. i would recommend if your using a vise you get a shaft clam to protect your shaft. i listed a link below to show you what that is if you don't know. re gripping is fun and it makes you feel a little more in tune with the game. or it does me at least. take care and good luck!
(http://www.golfsmith.com/products/913/Clubmaker/Rubber_Vise_Clamp)

I just bought a set of victory red full cavities and regripped them with red golf pride vdr grips.. They look sexy and it was very easy to do

I've read about removing grips safely with an air compressor (on page 4 of this thread) and I think I'll give it a try tonight on an old club that is no longer used. I've put grips on with tape and solvent dozens of times with no problems but I've always just cut the old grip off. I want to try the air compressor method to see if I can save the grips. Any more advice before I try this? Yes, I will use goggles in case it blows up since this is my first try!!

I've read about removing grips safely with an air compressor (on page 4 of this thread) and I think I'll give it a try tonight on an old club that is no longer used. I've put grips on with tape and solvent dozens of times with no problems but I've always just cut the old grip off. I want to try the air compressor method to see if I can save the grips. Any more advice before I try this? Yes, I will use goggles in case it blows up since this is my first try!!

If the grips were applied with tape and solvent, you won't be able to remove them with the compressor.

You don't really need a clamp or any tools except a box cutter to take the old grip off. I use water base tape that eliminates the need for solvent, no smell and no mess. I have never had a problem with my grips coming loose in the rain. Maybe if I played in a wetter climate they might, but I don't think so. Use plenty of water on the tape and soak inside the grip itself by filling it with water. Squeeze the end of the grip to open it up and then push it on to the shaft, it will slide on pretty easy and you can move it around for a while to make sure it lines up right. Once the adhesive sets it is secure. Let them dry for maybe half a day before you hit.

I live in a condo and i just do it in the kitchen, not really messy. The worst part is the compressor for blowing off grips. Got a 2gallon model for $50.

Good job Musky stepping up to the air. Once you go air you'll never go back to sticky/slimey messy tape and solvent.

As for getting them started, I use a glass of soapy water about 1 inch deep and just dip the end in and install. The air will blow all the excess water out and you do not have to even own any solvent.

You will love it when it is time to remove them since it is so quick and clean. I have been flying through shafts this summer and have saved all my grips. That and replacing stock grips on 2 sets of irons and I am well on my way to being ahead cost wise. Don't use 2 sided tape under the grips. You can leave the shaft plain, use regular masking tape, or I use Gorilla Tape which is thicker and one strip builds my grips up perfect. Plus it has a rubberlike coating that sticks to the grip well.

I really have enjoyed learning how to work on my own clubs this year and I know you will also. Now, shouldn't you be out slaying some 40+ inchers? They gotta be very active right now.

I plug the bottom of the grip with a tee and fill it full up with solvent and let is soak for at least 5 minutes
After I put the tape on the shaft I have an olive jar that I fill with solvent and sit the club shaft in that to really soak down the tape good.

Ron, when you are ready to regrip you need to come over and I'll show you my workarea and let you try the air regripping. You will soon convert.

Back