Repairing Ball Marks

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The USGA gets a lot wrong, but this info is dead on. If more golfers took the time to do it (and right) we would all enjoy the courses more.

I have seen this video quite a few times. So easy to do, but guys/gals still do it wrong. I always like to point it out if playing with someone to try and do it correctly.

i try to fix 2-3 at each green and i feel like i don't even scratch the surface...it's like a golf ball cover out there.

We played behind two groups of high schoolers who were practicing yesterday - each hitting a few from 150, 100 etc. EVERY green looked like the surface of the moon...not saying they were all from these kids but you can tell when they’re fresh and a lot of these were. Literally took us two minutes to fix as many as we could while we were waiting to putt. I don’t get it. is it ignorance? Apathy? Both?

I know, I know....get off my lawn, not all kids, yadda yadda yadda

Great share. i Am guessing its not the THPers leaving ball marks.

I don't get why they don't show videos like this on how to properly repair ball marks occasionally during the golf broadcast of a major when you have the most people watching. Seems like that would be a good way to get the most amount of people to learn.

This is great. I really try to fix marks on ever green. I find a few other than my own. It genuinely baffles me at the amount of ball marks on greens.

I will always repair mine and any others I see whilst on the green.

It only takes a few seconds so I don't see why people don't repair their own

Yes, especially on these holiday weekends or any day of the damn week. Fix your ball marks. Fix the one beside yours. Try and fix a few while your at it. Don’t be lazy!

One of my biggest pet peeves on a course. Greens that look like they went through an overnight hail storm. I fix at least 4-5 per green each round. It’s easy to do and pretty lazy imo if you don’t

So many people don't even try. It's maddening.

It's an honor to fix a pitch mark. It means you hit the green.

slightly off course topic, what's the deal with one pronged divot tools? why do they exist?

This is great. I really try to fix marks on ever green. I find a few other than my own. It genuinely baffles me at the amount of ball marks on greens.
I played with a 2some a while back and the one guy asked the other guy why he never fixes ball Marks. His reply “That’s what I pay them to do”. Them being the staff. Of course he was a golfer using the senior lunch ticket special - $24.99 for a round of golf with a cart and lunch.

I played with a 2some a while back and the one guy asked the other guy why he never fixes ball Marks. His reply “That’s what I pay them to do”. Them being the staff. Of course he was a golfer using the senior lunch ticket special - $24.99 for a round of golf with a cart and lunch.

hope you gave him one of these.

Some care, many don't. I play a lot all over the place....What really frosts my nuggets is the private clubs. One would expect that members at their club would treat it better than a random public place. But as a few have stated earlier...Some just have an attitude that it is someone else's job. Go figure.....Simply put. In all manners of upkeep I hope to leave the course I just played in better shape than which I found it.

For a while years ago, courses were giving out free divot tools with your green fees, and still you'd find a lot of them.
Garbage out the window on the highway mentality. Rise above, golfers, rise above.... (y)

Repairing ball marks is like returning your shopping cart. Everyone knows they should but people are just lazy. Interestingly enough, one of the first things I noticed moving from CA to Idaho was the shopping carts. Just about everyone returns them in Idaho and nobody did in CA. This seems to have carried over to the greens as well. ;)

Very timely, I had this conversation last night with a couple of my co-workers. It has always been my biggest pet peeve on the course. as stated by many others previously, "it only takes a few seconds". When I coached kids in our middle school league, this is one of the things I would go over. I would take a portion of time out of a practice to show the kids the proper way to repair the marks and gave each of them a repair tool. Every little bit helps.

So many people don't even try. It's maddening.

It’s the ones who are completely oblivious that get to me. The next ball mark they repair will be their first. They don’t look for ball marks or ignore ones that they see. Often times when I’m playing with someone like this, I’ll tell them I ‘ll repair or I repaired your ball mark, hoping that they will catch on.

It is one of the worst things anyone can do to a course after not replacing/repairing divots

Whenever I am out, I will always repair mine plus at least one other on the green, but there was a time when I repaired about 7-8 on one green
I mentioned it to our pro shop after the round and they couldn't believe it

I'm always fixing them. I play with a few older people, who shall we say are slower to get to the green from the cart (some struggle to bend down to mark a ball never mind fix a pitch mark). By the time they've got to the ball on the green I've sorted any ball marks they've done and fixed as many as I can see.

That and people who don't repair divots (we have sand on every cart for that and people still don't) do my head!

Back